Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Air Cooling

Old 08-07-15, 08:04 AM
OC3D Elite

I fail to see what the actual problem is here, everything looks cool enough. Surely the difference in temperature would be easily explained by the fact one bank of memory is sandwiched inbetween the CPU socket, the hot end of a GPU and a MOSFET heatsink so it has heat producing components flanking it on all 4 sides whereas the other bank is relatively open.

Additionally I can't see any major problems with the case. I'd prefer to have two 120's over a 200mm fan but that's about it. IDK what the kings are on about. Looks like a well kept rig

JR

Old 08-07-15, 11:25 AM

I am starting to think the same.

Just been testing the overclock at 4.18GHz running PrimeGrid at 100% on all cores temp is toping out between 89C and 91C on the CPU . I've had to open the window (its been snowing) and bring the ambient room temp down to 11C then pull off both sides, the front, the top and stick a room fan on the ground in front to bring the CPU back down below 70C...

I did note during this that the DRAM2 temp dropped below 40C however it was still a good 12 to 15 hotter than DRAM1 in HWMonitor.

I think I'll be checking out a few reviews tomorrow and maybe some cooling with more surface area oh and one of those no-contact thermometers Wraithguard was using just to verify the temps.

Thanks all for the feedback...

Posts merged - Please do not double post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
I fail to see what the actual problem is here, everything looks cool enough. Surely the difference in temperature would be easily explained by the fact one bank of memory is sandwiched inbetween the CPU socket, the hot end of a GPU and a MOSFET heatsink so it has heat producing components flanking it on all 4 sides whereas the other bank is relatively open.

Additionally I can't see any major problems with the case. I'd prefer to have two 120's over a 200mm fan but that's about it. IDK what the kings are on about. Looks like a well kept rig

JR
Nice of you to say so JR

I had thought about the DRAM2 positioning like you said it is boxed in. Being new to OC'ing I was assuming the temps of DRAM1 & 2 should be closer to be able to push things better. Hence originally I was also asking the question regarding RAM cooling methods and if they were worth it?

Would AF or SP be better in the front if I were to change to 2x120 my understanding is that SP are for radiators?

Tags
cooling, memory, ram