Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 05-01-15, 08:37 PM

Unhappy Fan/Radiator Setup

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please go easy on me. I've recently got some more fans for my computer due to it overheating, but this problem still resists. here is my current fan setup: (6fans total)

The case is a corsair 330r, and the CPU cooler is a coolermaster seidon 120v.

Could someone please help me find a better fansetup for my system

Thank You.

Old 05-01-15, 11:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum . I think you've got the fan setup nearly there although you want to have positive pressure inside the case (Which you seem to know already ) and generally the roof mounted fans are setup as exhaust.

Try something like this, it will give better airflow through the case and keep temps lower.
Samsung Evo 250GB | 1TB Hitachi HDD

Old 06-01-15, 12:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHDx View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum . I think you've got the fan setup nearly there although you want to have positive pressure inside the case (Which you seem to know already ) and generally the roof mounted fans are setup as exhaust.

Try something like this, it will give better airflow through the case and keep temps lower.
Bad idea having the rear fan as an intake. It will pull warm air off the GPU and make the CPU hotter.

OP would be better off both top fans pulling air in, and the AIO exhausting. The rad will get fresh air from the top, and the case will have positive pressure to keep dust down in the case. The front fans as intakes will feed the GPU cool air.
Old 06-01-15, 01:04 AM
OC3D Elite

I have found that having a rear as an intake as opposed to having 3 or 4 times as many intakes as exhausts is much better on temps as when you have so many intakes it becomes detrimental to air flow through the case.

EDIT: I'll say this now to avoid having a very lengthy thread that basically comes down to the fact that it's your choice as there are multiple different configurations that will be effective.

1) The option that I gave in my previous post.
2) Front 2 as intakes, roof and rear as exhausts (make sure you have adequate filtration).
3) The configuration offered by Kong in his post.

All of these will give roughly the same temperatures with 5C being a very pessimistic estimate for the differences you would observe.

If anyone would like me to make a post on trying out different fan configurations I would be happy to give some insight for people who are confused on this topic.
Samsung Evo 250GB | 1TB Hitachi HDD

Old 06-01-15, 01:45 AM
OC3D Elite

I think you are right, there are multiple outcomes. I think the OP might just want to experiment. Depending on what his GPU's do, and how well they tolerate case pressure. I nkow for me with my big rad on top, and my Gigabyte Windforce card, I need all the exhaust I can get or my GPU temps go crazy.

I do think one intake and one exhaust is definitely the wrong direction no matter what the OP does.
Old 06-01-15, 08:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Erhm yeah, I'd either get a magnetic dust filter and use the rear (AIO) as an intake and both top fans as exhaust, or forget about the top fans all together and stick with the 2 front intakes and one rear exhaust.

I think your overheating problem might have another cause, what are the rest of your specs like? What components are overheating and what are the temps like?

Don't use the top fans as intakes, that'd be very counterproductive as warm air rises to the top of your case and the fans would push it back down, rather than exhausting it.

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 06-01-15, 08:28 AM
born in a.....

Well before we go into overheating, what components are you using? Something sounds broken to me.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 06-01-15, 08:37 AM
OC3D Crew

In my 750D, I have front 2 as intakes (AF140 LED), rear as intake (AF140 LED), the H100i is in push / pull with 2 SP120 LED's and the included fans on top (SP120L) as the amount of air shifted by the SP's are approx the same values when I run them at static RPM (900 RPM I run them at and they are near enough silent and CPU temp when gaming, or being punished goes to approx 75°c max) as it is the RPM that is different between the 2 of them that causes the CFM difference.

***EDIT***

I did have 2 x AF120 LED as bottom fans as intake, but adding those 2 caused the dust to get in to PC through the various vents that aren't filtered. And yes all intake fans are being filtered by Silverstone Magnetic dust filters.

Old 06-01-15, 10:21 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWhat View Post
I did have 2 x AF120 LED as bottom fans as intake, but adding those 2 caused the dust to get in to PC through the various vents that aren't filtered. And yes all intake fans are being filtered by Silverstone Magnetic dust filters.

Say what?... Even though you had that filter, it still came dust in?... I mean, obviously it won't stop dust to 100%, but from your post it sounded worse than what I thought lol. And I've gotten that filter as well (not used it yet though as haven't started the swapping of my case yet though.
Old 06-01-15, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, helps alot.

Kong, correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't the fans near the radiator pulling out pull the hot air (as hot air goes up) pull some of the heat into the radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Bad idea having the rear fan as an intake. It will pull warm air off the GPU and make the CPU hotter.

OP would be better off both top fans pulling air in, and the AIO exhausting. The rad will get fresh air from the top, and the case will have positive pressure to keep dust down in the case. The front fans as intakes will feed the GPU cool air.

Tags
water cooling