Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 20-11-14, 06:35 PM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiyang1018 View Post
Thank you.

Frankly, I was a big Silverstone Fan until RV04 came out. RV05 is pretty good though. I am sure this will not become RVZ 02 no matter how much I want it this way.

I do not think Silverstone likes the impact that ribbon cable might have on graphic card performance. The test I saw shows no impact on 3dmark score, but I saw other tests showing slight latency. For most causal gamers, at least in my opinion, that latency is too minimal to get noticed, but that is just me.
I can tell you 100% that so long as the PCI Riser cable is of a good quality with EMI Shielding and below 30CM in length there is zero loss in data transfer

I've helped quite a few people with this dilemma in the past on wall builds, where they used a cheapo £5 ebay special and tried wrapping them in tinfoil, for a quality riser you are looking at minimum £30.

__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 20-11-14, 06:36 PM
JR23 JR23 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,215
Sorry OP, there has been a few trolls around here lately. But really seriously the way you put yourself across and your approach is just as important as your idea. Have you considered building a prototype? Are you experienced with scratch builds or serious mods already, I do think that's the best way to move the design forwards.

Also personally I think it's a trick that is missed by case manufacturers currently, when I was an Architecture student the concept of showing an idea in context was continuously reinforced and I do believe it is of paramount importance. How you intend people to use and view the finished piece of design is extremely important throughout the entire creative process. Consider how it will be on a desk, under a desk, by a TV and render or illustrate those environments. Cement the scale by showing it alongside peripherals and monitors etc. It's just as important as showing the internal context using components to me.

On OC3D it is preferred that you use the edit button to add to your previous post rather than posting two consecutive replies.

JR
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 20-11-14, 06:37 PM
jiyang1018 jiyang1018 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
I can tell you 100% that so long as the PCI Riser cable is of a good quality with EMI Shielding and below 30CM in length there is zero loss in data transfer

I've helped quite a few people with this dilemma in the past on wall builds, where they used a cheapo £5 ebay special and tried wrapping them in tinfoil, for a quality riser you are looking at minimum £30.
Thanks for clearing that up. I had no experience with that subject.

In my design, I believe the length is 10 to 15cm, maybe 20cm at the most. Does that mean it is feasible and applicable?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20-11-14, 06:43 PM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiyang1018 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I had no experience with that subject.

In my design, I believe the length is 10 to 15cm, maybe 20cm at the most. Does that mean it is feasible and applicable?
You can get shorter riser cables, but 30CM is the limit, as they start to lose signal clarity with anything longer which results in visual screen artifacts.
__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20-11-14, 06:47 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,487
I personally like the design. For some odd reason part of me wants to do an ITX build. Then the part of me that wants SLI again is saying, "Go big!"
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | i7 4790k | Maximus VII Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 16GB DDR3 | 512GB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20-11-14, 06:53 PM
jiyang1018 jiyang1018 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Sorry OP, there has been a few trolls around here lately. But really seriously the way you put yourself across and your approach is just as important as your idea. Have you considered building a prototype? Are you experienced with scratch builds or serious mods already, I do think that's the best way to move the design forwards.

Also personally I think it's a trick that is missed by case manufacturers currently, when I was an Architecture student the concept of showing an idea in context was continuously reinforced and I do believe it is of paramount importance. How you intend people to use and view the finished piece of design is extremely important throughout the entire creative process. Consider how it will be on a desk, under a desk, by a TV and render or illustrate those environments. Cement the scale by showing it alongside peripherals and monitors etc. It's just as important as showing the internal context using components to me.

On OC3D it is preferred that you use the edit button to add to your previous post rather than posting two consecutive replies.

JR
There is no need to say sorry if it was a simple misunderstanding. My design, at least the assembly in Solidworks, involves a series of bending and forming which is something I do not have the equipment for. I am modeling some other peripherals, and I think you are probably right about putting it in a context; I do have a very realistic size comparison BTW.

I wish I was brave enough to post a external link to my other mods or personal website. Like I mentioned earlier, I wish I could share my GrabCAD model library here but I will not take the risk of getting deleted again.

My thread got deleted 3 times in my life and it all happened two days ago, and unfortunately, or luckily, you witnessed all. It is not something I am proud of.
I hope, however, putting a link to LTT will not trigger any alarm, so click if you wish.

If you really want, there should be ways that you can visit my website from all the contents I have posted, especially not the image ones. But after getting deleted 3 times in a day, I, again, do not wish to risk anything. If now allowed, I will remove them ASAP.

Edit:
I see what you mean now by "consecutive post". I didn't know I can edit and add multi quote, but now I do.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
You can get shorter riser cables, but 30CM is the limit, as they start to lose signal clarity with anything longer which results in visual screen artifacts.
Wait, my design cannot really used card, because it will be 3 cards to make that turn. It has to be ribbon cable. How does that affect the system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
I personally like the design. For some odd reason part of me wants to do an ITX build. Then the part of me that wants SLI again is saying, "Go big!"
I am with you.

I have a GTX680 for some gaming, and a Quadro 4000. Most of the time Quadro just need to sit there. As long as I have it in my system, all the professional features are present. But if I remove it or disable it, they are gone. Therefore, I have to keep two cards in my system, not in SLI fashion.

I was looking for GTX680 on ebay last night to get SLI to run ACU, but I am afraid I cannot afford a used one just yet.

To me, personally, mATX is the smallest I could go with.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 20-11-14, 07:52 PM
Reloaded2's Avatar
Reloaded2 Reloaded2 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 529
This is crazy awesome!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20-11-14, 07:59 PM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiyang1018 View Post
Wait, my design cannot really used card, because it will be 3 cards to make that turn. It has to be ribbon cable. How does that affect the system?
They are ribbons...
__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20-11-14, 08:02 PM
jiyang1018 jiyang1018 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded2 View Post
This is crazy awesome!!!
Thank you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
They are ribbons...
Great news. I was so scared it won't work.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 20-11-14, 08:20 PM
Permafrost's Avatar
Permafrost Permafrost is offline
Compo Whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gallifrey
Posts: 2,035
I'm loving the look of this case matey, only 3 things that would stop me from buying this case

1) if someone had a R9 295X2 or a long card the a gtx780 or an R9 290 and wanted to watercool, they might be limited to a 30mm rad in the bottom

2) SFX psu has it's limits. even if there is a 600w sfx psu out there, there is only one company that makes them, so what would happen if they stopped making them or they unavailable/sold out?

3) pump mounting. again this limits to what pump/res you can have.

sorry if i've come off as a bit hash, just giving feedback from what i can see....
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cad, case, design, itx

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.