Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 13-07-14, 07:52 PM
SieB's Avatar
SieB SieB is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dudley
Posts: 8,138
for the MX100 256GB, I used to have a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and to be honest I don't notice the difference in speed between that and the MX100 I have now.

Write speeds are slower on the MX100, but I don't move a lot of files around, write speeds aren't that important unless you move a lot of files around constantly. The read speeds on the MX100 are just as fast as the 840 so for loading games, programs and your OS, it is just as fast.

__________________
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-07-14, 07:52 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,351
My money is on the Samsung 840 EVO, it has brilliant capacity per £ (or any unit of money).

While the 840 pro in theory has a longer life expectancy, due to using MLC flash, recent tests conclude that even the Samsung EVO already has an exceptionally long lifespan.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-07-14, 07:57 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,427
I would go for the crucial drive. I have the m500 and not one problem from it.

The best brands are Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, and Intel. Any one of these drives are reliable. Intel's 730 series is probably faster than the 840 Pro and if anything it is on par,the two fastest drives you can get right now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13-07-14, 08:00 PM
MadShadow MadShadow is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Andrews, Scotland
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I would go for the crucial drive. I have the m500 and not one problem from it.

The best brands are Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, and Intel. Any one of these drives are reliable. Intel's 730 series is probably faster than the 840 Pro and if anything it is on par,the two fastest drives you can get right now.
The Intel 730 is not very fast. The reason why it costs so much is because it is reliable, not fast. Refer to these benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7803/i...480gb-review/4
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13-07-14, 08:12 PM
.Nova. .Nova. is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Well, my reason would be that you can get an 840 Evo or Crucial MX100 for that price that's twice the capacity. The Evo drives are still extremely good and highly recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
for the MX100 256GB, I used to have a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and to be honest I don't notice the difference in speed between that and the MX100 I have now.

Write speeds are slower on the MX100, but I don't move a lot of files around, write speeds aren't that important unless you move a lot of files around constantly. The read speeds on the MX100 are just as fast as the 840 so for loading games, programs and your OS, it is just as fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I would go for the crucial drive. I have the m500 and not one problem from it.

The best brands are Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, and Intel. Any one of these drives are reliable. Intel's 730 series is probably faster than the 840 Pro and if anything it is on par,the two fastest drives you can get right now.
so the crucial ssd's seem to be more popular, but i only need 120GB and i only chose the 250GB models because bigger drives seem to be faster and i want the fastest drive for my money (so read speeds and boot-up time are most important to me).
should i then maybe go with an 120GB ADATA/Crucial or will the 840 then outperform them like crazy?

and thanks to all of you for the quick replies!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 13-07-14, 08:19 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nova. View Post
so the crucial ssd's seem to be more popular, but i only need 120GB and i only chose the 250GB models because bigger drives seem to be faster and i want the fastest drive for my money (so read speeds and boot-up time are most important to me).
should i then maybe go with an 120GB ADATA/Crucial or will the 840 then outperform them like crazy?

and thanks to all of you for the quick replies!
Most drives nowadays outperform SATA 6GBPs in read situations, so capacity and the reliability of the brand trump all in my book.

Crucial, Samsung and Intel are most famed for reliability, so I'd go for the highest capacity you can for the price your willing to pay. Differences in boot times are minimal at best nowadays between brands.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13-07-14, 08:19 PM
Feronix's Avatar
Feronix Feronix is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Dungeon
Posts: 7,683
I understand that you prefer speed over capacity, but if the high-capacity drives have both those features for the same price, why would you get a 120GB one?
__________________
~Rick

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 13-07-14, 08:22 PM
SieB's Avatar
SieB SieB is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dudley
Posts: 8,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
I understand that you prefer speed over capacity, but if the high-capacity drives have both those features for the same price, why would you get a 120GB one?
This ^^

With a 120 you will be close to full with a couple of games and a few other things on there. With a 256GB you have more than enough with plenty of space to spare.

Personally I would go for either the EVO or the MX100 256GB, both are good and will do the job.
__________________
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 13-07-14, 08:27 PM
.Nova. .Nova. is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Most drives nowadays outperform SATA 6GBPs in read situations, so capacity and the reliability of the brand trump all in my book.

Crucial, Samsung and Intel are most famed for reliability, so I'd go for the highest capacity you can for the price your willing to pay. Differences in boot times are minimal at best nowadays between brands.
ok thank you. that means that the 840 is definitely not the best choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
I understand that you prefer speed over capacity, but if the high-capacity drives have both those features for the same price, why would you get a 120GB one?
because i want to spend the least possible for the best speed and if the 120GB models wouldn't be slower than the 250GB ones i would go for the smaller as it wouldn't end up as unnecessary GB's which aren't being used
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
This ^^

With a 120 you will be close to full with a couple of games and a few other things on there. With a 256GB you have more than enough with plenty of space to spare.

Personally I would go for either the EVO or the MX100 256GB, both are good and will do the job.
as i said in the first post, the drive will be only used for the os and my programs. for my games and stuff i've got a 3tb wd green and for other things i still have a nas
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13-07-14, 08:38 PM
Feronix's Avatar
Feronix Feronix is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Dungeon
Posts: 7,683
But the 840 Evo and MX100 250GB are literally CHEAPER than the 840 Pro 120GB.

You'd rather spend more money on less SSD because you don't want to have extra storage left in case you want to put anything else on the SSD in the future?
__________________
~Rick

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
840 evo, 840 pro, adata sp920, intel 530, ssd

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.