Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 02-04-14, 08:49 PM

Clean tubing and coolant for new water-cooling build

Hello overclock3d! I'm building a new liquid cooled pc and am a little concerned about the coolant I'll be using in the loop. Initially, I was going for distilled water and a silver coil, but after reading Koolance's warranty that warns against mixing nickel and silver, I have reconsidered. The decision gets trickier when the color of the tubing or coolant must match my Asus Z87 Pro gold motherboard and my brown Noctua fans.

Here is the motherboard:

Noctua fans:

I'm open to any suggestions regarding some nice colored tubing or coolant that will add to my build. It doesn't have to be brown or gold, but a color that will match or add to this theme.

Thank you so much for your time!

Old 03-04-14, 12:40 AM

I would still do distilled water and although silver should still be ok with nickle there are plenty of alternatives. You can use pt nuke or copper sulfate based algicide. Another option that would work well with the MB would be yellow antifreeze for cars diluted 30/70 with distilled water. Ethylene glycol gives you algicide properties and would prevent galvanic corrosion. It is what Swiftech's Hydrax is made out of. It is not non-conductive though but almost nothing really is in the end with ion migration and dust.
Old 03-04-14, 12:59 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounti View Post
I'm open to any suggestions regarding some nice colored tubing or coolant that will add to my build. It doesn't have to be brown or gold, but a color that will match or add to this theme.

Thank you so much for your time!
I would think that bent copper soft tube would look great with these colors. I am starting to like hard piping more than tubing as you can make the runs super clean. I would look at some of the project threads, there is one with hard copper tubing. It seems pretty easy and inexpensive to do. If not I would look at the Primochill line of hard acrylic tubing. I believe they have a yellow version.

--edit-- found the hard pipe pictures: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...t=52598&page=7

--Rick--
Old 04-04-14, 03:56 AM

Copper would look great but rigid tubing (copper or acrilic) is hard to work with and unforgiving so just know what you are getting in to and plan everything very carefully if you do.
Old 04-04-14, 07:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPlaysWarr View Post
I would think that bent copper soft tube would look great with these colors. I am starting to like hard piping more than tubing as you can make the runs super clean. I would look at some of the project threads, there is one with hard copper tubing. It seems pretty easy and inexpensive to do. If not I would look at the Primochill line of hard acrylic tubing. I believe they have a yellow version.

--edit-- found the hard pipe pictures: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...t=52598&page=7

--Rick--
That's probably the only way to make a noctua + golden motherboard rig look good. Acryllic or normal tubing with brown coolant would look awful.
The copper tubing itself is probably not very expensive, but you need a couple of tools to bend the tubes properly.
Old 04-04-14, 12:34 PM

mayhem pastel black coolant. hahaha I'm just joking.
Old 04-04-14, 01:15 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoiCorp View Post
mayhem pastel black coolant. hahaha I'm just joking.
it's funny because it would go brown
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 04-04-14, 03:17 PM
OC3D Elite

The other day, I was looking into copper tubing, and was searching for a black chrome paint, but doing that I found a black copper spray paint, I think that would look awesome with the Noctua fans, not sure about the mobo though.

I can't seem to find it now though, and my browser history was due for it's monthly clean last night, I'll try and remember my steps for a link.

Tags
fans, motherboard, tubing, water-cooling