Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 29-03-14, 11:37 PM

power supply advice

hi,

i'm planning to build a new computer but i'm having problems chosing a power supply. I though a corsair RM 750W would be enough, but after reading and searching on the internet some people said i wouldn't be enough to power all of my components and some people said it would be enough... My budget for the powersupply is around 120 euro's
components in my build:

i7-4820k
msi big bang x power II
2 x msi gaming 780 Ti
16gb ddr 3 RAM
H100i
Samsung EVO 250gb SSD
2 x 2TB seagate barracuda
corsair 750D
7 fans in total

Old 30-03-14, 12:03 AM
OC3D Elite

In my opinion, drop the i7, go for the i5 instead and then use that money to get a good power supply, do not skimp on one, EVER. Since this system is prettymuch for gaming from what i understand you really do not need an i7.

However.

Old 30-03-14, 01:41 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Is this a gaming build? If so you can easily stick to the 1150 socket instead of 2011.. save a bunch of cash and can a high end PSU worth using with this rig.

But we need to know what you plan on using this computer for as games generally won't stress the system as much as very heavy editing software will.
Old 30-03-14, 03:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Oh its 2011 system, i completely looked over that.
Old 30-03-14, 08:23 AM

I'm going to use my new system for both heavy software modeling( mainly houses)
and for gaming. But it's more for moddeling than gaming.

Maybe i should drop the second 780ti and put in a 3930k...
Old 30-03-14, 09:03 AM
OC3D Elite

you would be fine with a standard i7 mobo, dont see why you will need 2011,
i have an i7 3770 and its held up fine with every bit of CAD software ive got my grubby mits on.

id go for an msi gd65 or maybe one of the m power range depending on colour requirements.

keep both the cards and go for an rm850 which should give you plenty of headroom for your cards, still allow you to run sli, and looks pretty while still coming hopefully under budget.
Old 30-03-14, 12:53 PM

I already have some of the components on
my current system like the 780 ti, RM 750,h100i and the case

I bought the 750w powersupply for sli in mind but i didnt had the
780ti at that time. But now my power supply won't be enough to go
780 ti sli

Maybe it's better to wait for the new intel cpu's?
Old 30-03-14, 01:06 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd be surprised if you could pull 700 watts peak with all of that stuff, it's not exactly a sensible amount of headroom but I reckon it would be 'just' enough with limited-no overclock. The most I can pull out of the wall with two 780 Classys (pretty power hungry) and a 4820k is about 630watts and my old reference 780's could barely break 560watts. Your extra hard drives may add a bit but I can't see the 780Ti's being more power hungry than Classys @1241.

Is the CAD software you intend to use actually capable of utilizing GeForce GPU's? I was expecting my PC to boss Solidworks and it turns out it's only Quadro's and Firepro's that can do GPU rendering so being left with just the CPU it would have definitely been more productive to go for a hexacore. Still it's primarily a gaming rig so there's no chance of quadro's for me.

What resolution do you intend to game at? If 1080p a 4770k, 780Ti and then a workstation card might make sense?

JR
Old 30-03-14, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
I'd be surprised if you could pull 700 watts peak with all of that stuff, it's not exactly a sensible amount of headroom but I reckon it would be 'just' enough with limited-no overclock. The most I can pull out of the wall with two 780 Classys (pretty power hungry) and a 4820k is about 630watts and my old reference 780's could barely break 560watts. Your extra hard drives may add a bit but I can't see the 780Ti's being more power hungry than Classys @1241.

Is the CAD software you intend to use actually capable of utilizing GeForce GPU's? I was expecting my PC to boss Solidworks and it turns out it's only Quadro's and Firepro's that can do GPU rendering so being left with just the CPU it would have definitely been more productive to go for a hexacore. Still it's primarily a gaming rig so there's no chance of quadro's for me.

What resolution do you intend to game at? If 1080p a 4770k, 780Ti and then a workstation card might make sense?

JR
Maybe you right and yes i'am playing on 1080p maybe 1440p in the future.
The program I will use is based on CAD software. It's for calculating the amount of tubing is needed for a house and al other hardware needed for heating and water.

So you think a 4770k with 780ti and a quatro gpu would be good for CAD and gaming? What mobo would be great? Depending on how many work i have i need to put more harddrives in,
Old 30-03-14, 05:55 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Well which CAD version is it? If it supports other cards besides the FirePro or Quadro then its worth getting 780ti SLI/290x Xfire(depending on OpenCL support). Otherwise if it was me personally i would just build 2 rigs.. one for workstation purposes and a different one for gaming. You have a big enough budget to do so and the gaming rig could be used while the workstation renders and stuff. Beats swapping out the GPU every day.

Tags
780 ti, power supply, rm 750w