Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 20-03-14, 11:19 AM
News Guru

Overclockers rejoice, Intel's improving their TIM - Devil's Canyon is on the way

Intel haven't given us enthusiasts much reason to upgrade our CPUs since Sandy-Bridge. Ivy Bridge and Haswell has gave us lower power consumption and superior integrated graphics performance but in terms of improved IPC and overclocking headroom they have been lacking, only giving limited gains over the previous generation.

The limited overclocking headroom for Ivy Bridge and Haswell is due to excessive heat build up over certain voltages, which is attributed to a combination of the packaging and thermal interface material (TIM) used in these newer CPUs. Intel AIMs to fix these issues.

Presenting Devil's Canyon, Intel's Haswell Refresh

These chips, while not exactly new, will be supported by Intel's new 9-series chipset with current 8-Series chipsets "not targeted", so don't expect Devil's Canyon to work with all current 8-series motherboards.

Current leaks suggest that the Haswell refresh will receive frequency increases of 100MHz but this is unconfirmed. Overclocking should be improved in these new chips, but by how much is unknown.

What do you guys think, Are you glad to see Intel taking enthusiast feedback seriously and offering the overclocking potential we crave?

What do you think of the apparent lack of support on your current Z87 motherboards? Please comment below.

Source - techreport

Old 20-03-14, 11:22 AM
born in a.....

I'm more bothered about Haswell-e tbh.
I wonder will intel actually improve the TIM majorly or just slightly.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 20-03-14, 11:24 AM
OC3D Elite

Lets see how these CPUs go when tested, at the moment all we have is sales talk.

As to Haswell E, I think I will be in a very small minority but I think 8 cores on an intel CPU will be total rubbish for overclocking.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 20-03-14, 12:08 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm looking forward to the non GPU chips. I hate wasting money on something I don't use.
Old 20-03-14, 12:45 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm long overdue a motherboard and CPU upgrade, might finally be time.

Apart for better TIM and a 100mhz boost are these Haswell refreshes offering anything more? If it is just the same CPU with better TIM it isn't going to make much difference unless you are pushing high overclocks.

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 20-03-14, 12:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva2004 View Post
I'm looking forward to the non GPU chips. I hate wasting money on something I don't use.
That's a good point. Hardly anyone on these forums uses integrated graphics. If they were removed, Intel could get better performance on just the cpu, right?

Old 20-03-14, 01:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

Apart for better TIM and a 100mhz boost are these Haswell refreshes offering anything more? If it is just the same CPU with better TIM it isn't going to make much difference unless you are pushing high overclocks.
I was thinking the same thing!
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 3800X, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
Old 20-03-14, 03:29 PM
Suspended By Request of Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
That's a good point. Hardly anyone on these forums uses integrated graphics. If they were removed, Intel could get better performance on just the cpu, right?
yes, more die size available to the cpu cores. integrated graphics actually take up a lot of space on the die and adds to the cost.

Heres an image of amd a10 5800 die. intel will probably go for a bit smaller IGP, but it still will take up a lot of space, and waste it for thoose who don't use igp.
Old 20-03-14, 03:52 PM
News Guru

Quote:

clock increases are rumored, could potentially be higher (doubt it though)

The better TIM etc will allow us to push volts a bit more while still being able to cool the bloody things, which should make higher overclocks more achievable on the average chip (if you push the volts).

It also makes a water cooling loop a more attractive option, considering since Ivy you couldn't push the volts high enough to need it (before you hit the CPUs volt limit due to the TIM).
Old 20-03-14, 04:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

that's the point of the chip, isn't it?
higher overclocks without taking the knife to the heatspreader.

Tags
devil's canyon, haswell, intel, overclocking, tim