Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 18-02-14, 12:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Ok now i'm beginning to understand where the Poseidon fits in the graphics card market.

Just accept you truly noobed it sell the cooler and card as spares and find a better solution that's actually compatible. I will help you out and buy the EVGA fans off the ACX cooler if you want. It's a sad day for hardware

JR
Someone might buy the card as art.

Old 18-02-14, 12:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
Someone might buy the card as art.
Yeah very true, i'd frame a toasted 780Ti and get some enjoyment out of it. Not a bad trophy!
Old 18-02-14, 12:48 PM
OC3D Elite

so the cold plate is too large and is sitting on the black heatsink allowing you to tighten firmly thinking it was installed correctly. damn thats unfortunate buddy. i would say that your kraken is still perfectly fine for future use but i would look into alternative methods of cooling your card if you insist on wc mate. like a universal block. like said before take this as experience never do it again. we all made mistakes. i forgot to check all my fittings were tight before i started leak testing. it was like blastoise appeared and used hydropump. the pc was wet and my pants were too
Old 18-02-14, 12:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleDJackson View Post
so the cold plate is too large and is sitting on the black heatsink allowing you to tighten firmly thinking it was installed correctly. damn thats unfortunate buddy. i would say that your kraken is still perfectly fine for future use but i would look into alternative methods of cooling your card if you insist on wc mate. like a universal block. like said before take this as experience never do it again. we all made mistakes. i forgot to check all my fittings were tight before i started leak testing. it was like blastoise appeared and used hydropump. the pc was wet and my pants were too
Great comment.
Old 18-02-14, 12:54 PM
OC3D Elite

i aim to please
Old 18-02-14, 02:33 PM

lol thanks for the love guys, but ive got two options, install the g10 x40 combo on the new card when my heatsinks for the vrm and vram arrive all without acx cooler plate, no modding required, other ppl have done this with this card, or dremel that old plate which i like the sound of and use that, the only issue was the block lets call it now being allowed the full pressure on the GPU, the only thing that bugs me is the fact that the old TIM is so caked or was on the last gpu, wtf would be the best way of cleaning it, i wouldnt dare touch it with those wet and dry cloths from the pix...

how would you have cleaned the caked TIM guys?

also its awesome to know i should tint, i wanted to but since no one anywhere in all the googling i did regarding g10 installations on gtx 780s or not mentioned any tinting, and the 3 solid youtubers that put up installation/guide/review videos did no tinting and hardly mentioned the TIM setup they did.... cuz it wasnt rly the focus of the video, but still if ur gonna do an install guide video, u think mentioning info about the TIM and tinting the surfaces would be a big part...

Extra info on the theory behind the whole build and why i chose to water cool the gpus:
The reason for wanting to water cool and not using the acx was just to get a dead silent mad performance build going, its 2 bottom x40 kraken intakes front intake across the bottom intake, top exhaust with a corsair h110 rear exhaust and a front intake for the 5.25 drive bay which has a 3 to 4 hdd adatpter in it, that combined with an adjustable fan inside the nzxt switch 810 case
The plan was to then make the front exhaust the hdd drive fan exhausting out the front and with no hot air coming from the rear of the case thanks to my ax1200i i could make the rear 140mm an intake, make the h110 an intake, and throw on my lian li air duct for "better cooling for CPU" i could direct that 140s air right at the drives along with the intakes on the top to that drive bays exhaust so least resistance for the most part shortest distance traveled fan setup, everything set super low and it would be dead silent without being in a sound dampening case since im keeping the build under 75lbs due to a shelf i keep it on thats at a 80+ lb limit lets say

i think the main slip up was with the plate, seeing the AS5 spread nicely i had the setup fine without the plate, but since vram and vrm was keeping the card a lil on the hot side and i had no heatsinks at the time i figured the plate would suffice, after seeing the thermal paste grain of rice method for the PK3 thermal compound spread out i figured i just didnt put enough, followed the tip of a fellow overclock3d member and used the line method figuring if it caked id be safe but thats where the plate got in the way and when trying to run 3dmark i fried it

as5 without vram n vrm cooling i was at a stable 40C according to evga precision X, with the plate and that terrible contact i was down to 31-32C allbeit idle so clearly i needed the heatsinks and the proper mounting depending on how they were combo'd up i should have seen similar temps to the ACX till it was broken in then itd be lower temps with lower rpm on the fans for the rads
Old 18-02-14, 02:47 PM
OC3D Elite

This just broke my heart
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]
Old 18-02-14, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeInspire View Post
This just broke my heart
Sorry to hear that inspire, imagine how i feel lol... at least i learned something, its hard when you suffer from insomnia fibromyalgia a handful of other BS and thus your only means to learn how to do something is to just dive in head first i run into plenty of problems. But as luck may have me on the bad side with some projects, im blessed with good luck in the sense of funds, i inherited some property and im busting my a** dealing with all kinds of BS from lawyers wanting money i dont owe them for screwing me over and the government wanting 1.5m usd as inheritance tax to keep it simple thanks to a very nicely sociopathic trustee inflating properties and doing a lot of underhanded stuff. Sorry its a bit much i know, i just dont like ppl thinking i have it easy im earning this income and everythings is slowly getting better and easier =) so again the good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
You're encouraging illegal behaviour...

Consider this a warning, unless you're joking..

@OP: DO NOT stick it back together and send it back... serious fraud if you do... EVGA aren't stupid and will see the damage on the gpu, the surrounding components AND the metal bracket, it won't take much to figure it out.

Ontopic: The cooler looks fine, but I still wouldn't risk putting it any where near your other GPU, and I wouldn't cut the metal bits off either. It's not compatible without modification and those modifications are going to break your other card.
Now to be clear i will not try n RMA this, this thing is worth so much and i could save up to get another, and having 2 is so over the top as it is. I had some one tell me to return a product i purchased that was a recommendation because this person recommended the wrong part telling me to lie and say it was broken return it and get the right part. *looks around to see if its safe* gotta be cryptic there, but to be clear did not take the shady route.
Old 18-02-14, 03:08 PM
OC3D Elite

First thing to do when fitting a cooler to a CPU or GPU is check the temps fast.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 18-02-14, 04:41 PM
OC3D Crew

I have to commend you on keeping so calm on toasting over £500 worth of GPU.

As for RMA'ing it, you'll have it sent straight back to and charged for the privilege. They will notice that the original cooler doesn't have the arcing and residues from it present.

If it were a reference cooler I'd have bought it from you, I keep an eye on ebay for these for a project I'm thinking of. Anyway, stick it on ebay with a clear description stating that it's ed beyond repair and you may still get £100 for it; I've seen faulty titans go for £200!

I wonder if you were completely upfront to EVGA about it and asked them if it could be repaired (dubious), how much it would cost.

Tags
evga, g10, gtx, nvidia, nzxt