Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 12-02-14, 02:32 PM

My Obsidian 750D

Hi!

So, I got a new case for christmas, the Corsair Obsidian 750D and I decided that I wanted some changes to my system, but possibly without a massive upgrade of all the core parts in the system. I came up with the idea to look for a cheaper way to cool my system, allowing for overclocking so my parts would keep up with the newer technology arriving more often than I go to the bathroom.

The Corsair H100i was a no-brainer for me, as I'm on a budget to the scale that I won't spend 300£ on a custom watercooling loop. The problem was the GPU, as I was stuck with a reference cooler on the Radeon HD6970, which is basically an airplane stuck in a computer case. That's when I found the Arctic Accelero Hybrid, AIO liquid cooler, with the nice price tag of 70£.

So these are my current specs.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68-XP-UD3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.2GHz
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 12GB @1600MHz
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD6970 2GB
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG
SSD: Corsair Force GS 240GB
HDD: 1x 1TB WD Caviar Black & 1x 3TB WD Caviar Green
PSU: Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W

Cooling:
Corsair H100i AIO Liquid CPU cooler
Arctic Accelero Hybrid AIO Liquid GPU cooler
6x Corsair SP120 PWM Fans
2x Corsair AF140 Fans

4 fans are connected to the H100i, the rest, along with the lighting in the case is connected to a Corsair Link Cooling and Lighting kit.

Sorry about my girlfriend's Alexander Skarsgaard pillow in the background (Totally hers! Promise!)

Old 12-02-14, 02:35 PM
The Guvnor

No a bad looking rig dude, 5 minutes work and a couple of cable ties and it could look much better too

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 12-02-14, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
No a bad looking rig dude, 5 minutes work and a couple of cable ties and it could look much better too
Yeah, that's the plan further on. I've bought some cable sleeving along with some heatshrink. Just need some depinning tools and I'm good to go, gotta wait for my next paycheck though.
Old 12-02-14, 02:38 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengachu View Post
Yeah, that's the plan further on. I've bought some cable sleeving along with some heatshrink. Just need some depinning tools and I'm good to go, gotta wait for my next paycheck though.
Cable ties are just to fix them so they look tidier dude

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 12-02-14, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Cable ties are just to fix them so they look tidier dude
Good idea. I think I got some more lying around. The USB 3.0 cable could be moved to the grommet closest to the power supply too so all the front panel cables are in the same spot. I think I have a couple of ideas for the other cables aswell.
Old 12-02-14, 04:44 PM
OC3D Crew

i think this is the first build on here i have seen one of thos gpu coolers being used, how does it compare to the stock cooler? noise temps etc.
Old 12-02-14, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garih View Post
i think this is the first build on here i have seen one of thos gpu coolers being used, how does it compare to the stock cooler? noise temps etc.
It's actually quite ridiculous. My temps at load has decreased by 30 celcius, and that's when I run my SP120s at 900 RPM. It drops even further when I run the fans on full speed, but it's really not required, so I just run them at a low RPM setting to keep things nice and quiet. So the noise really depends on the speed you run your radiator fans at, but mine are whisper quiet at 900 RPM. As I have full control of all my fans you can't hear anything if there's some background noise anywhere else in the room.

Of course you wouldn't have the same effect as the full-cover waterblocks as the VRM and memory are cooled by a single 90mm fan or so, but with a 70£ price tag, it's definitly a very good option. Good bang for your buck.
Old 12-02-14, 11:34 PM

pretty descent looking rig man, i do love the odsidian range. and as tom already said a little work on tidying up the cables and it will look much better.

Question, have you tried mounting the artic cool rad on the front of the case instead of the back. i think it would look much neater, you wouldn't have the tubing bending back on itself like that. just looks a little off to me. that and the 240mm in the roof, a 360mm would suit this size case in my opinion.

Corsair 800D/ 16gb Corsair Vendgea LP 1866mhz / Radeon R9 290x / XSPC 290x CPU block / EK res and pump / EK 360mm x 60mm rad / XSPC compression fittings / AMD FX 8-core Black Edition FX-8320 / Heat Killer 3.0 LC customized CPU block /Gigabyte Socket am3+ GA-990FXA-UD3/Samsung 830 series 64gb ssd/ WD 2tb 7200rpm.

Old 13-02-14, 12:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, I quite like this.

As for the 120 mm rad placement, I might try to mod some additional mounting
holes into the roof and try to fit it there as well besides the 240, but without having
the rig in front of me it's kind of difficult to judge it that would really be a good idea
or if it's just something that sounds better in concept than it would be in practice.

But still, nice rig IMHO.
Old 13-02-14, 07:58 AM

Yeah, I used to have the 120mm rad in the front at the top mounting holes, but as there's no real support to the PCB, the card was bending a bit too much for me to rest easily so I ended up with fitting it in the back.

I was actually thinking about fitting the 120mm rad in the top at some point, but we'll see how that goes. I also know that I will make a custom loop when I do a massive upgrade, and then there will be a 360 rad in the top, but for now, I'll stick with the H100i.

Tags
accelero, aio, arctic, corsair, obsidian