Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 24-01-14, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Gainward Phantom I'd go for, TTL was really impressed by them too: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/g...d_sli_review/1 If it had to be between the Asus and EVGA though I'd go for the Asus that EVGA cooler looks pretty average and as for them being better for overclocking, that is utter drivel.

Old 24-01-14, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcool View Post
Gainward Phantom I'd go for, TTL was really impressed by them too: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/g...d_sli_review/1 If it had to be between the Asus and EVGA though I'd go for the Asus that EVGA cooler looks pretty average and as for them being better for overclocking, that is utter drivel.
Don't really liked the looks of the Phantom... And well... apparently temps are quite good in the Classy... and i've read in a few places that the GPUs are cherry picked for it... so i guess it must be THAT good??
Old 24-01-14, 08:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't say it was drivel at all, Kaapstad knows what he is on about and if he says the EVGA is the better one for OCing i'd take his word for it.

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 24-01-14, 08:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
the evga acx cooler is one of the best. i didn't expect them to do better than the lightning, kaapstad has a lot of personal experience but i don't think he has either the lightning nor the classy 780?
Old 25-01-14, 07:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
I wouldn't say it was drivel at all, Kaapstad knows what he is on about and if he says the EVGA is the better one for OCing i'd take his word for it.
EVGA Classified 780ti's at no.1 and no.4 on this bench table, the guy at no.4 is running on air cooling.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...postcount=1741

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18487976

To get the most out of these cards needs a bit of knowledge and skill with bios and volts etc.

OP if you want to spend crazy money you could get one of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1402

For gaming and normal use I would not recommend a Kingpin Edition 780ti as their real use is for benching with LN2.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 25-01-14, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

If you are serious about overclocking on water then I think the classified is great because of it's dual bios. You can flash one bios and always have the piece of mind that you have a spare backed up just in case you screw the first one up. Heavy overclocking on air is a bit of a weird one, if you're going down the custom bios route then you'll be running your fans at 100% at which point I think the DCII's bigger heat sink and larger fans will be not only quieter but get rid of more heat at such high volts. However in favour of the classifieds you still have a dual bios option just in case you screw up which attempting to flash.

I personally have a DCII 780 and the cooler on it is massive. If I'm not mistaken it's the largest dual slot cooler out of the big names. Bare in mind I have a 900D so if I were to go back and do this again I'd probably get a Classified or an EVGA FTW edition GPU just because of the smaller cooler design means it's easier to install where as the DCII was a nightmare and then some.

This is something you should seriously do some research into. Does the 750D have that annoying overhang issue that the 900D does? Will the DCII's wider design make it harder to install the card. Not something I'd ever have thought about but now it's almost a deal breaker for me. With the 780 TI classified and DCII being the same size as their 780 counterparts I hope this you found this helpful to some degree.
i5-3570k @4.5 GHZ 1.336v - Asus Maximus V Formula -Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600Mhz Red - Inno 3D GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 (not installed) - Corsair 900D - Seagate1TB 7200 RPM- WD 2TB Green - Samsung 530 120GB SSD - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed) - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed)

Alphacool XT45 480 - XSPC RX 240 (not installed) 140 AF QE white LED - 3 x 120 AF PE - 4 x phobya 120mm - 4 x Bitfinex 120mm pro - 4 x NF-F12 (not installed)
Old 25-01-14, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimoth View Post
If you are serious about overclocking on water then I think the classified is great because of it's dual bios. You can flash one bios and always have the piece of mind that you have a spare backed up just in case you screw the first one up.

I personally have a DCII 780 and the cooler on it is massive. If I'm not mistaken it's the largest dual slot cooler out of the big names. Bare in mind I have a 900D so if I were to go back and do this again I'd probably get a Classified or an EVGA FTW edition GPU just because of the smaller cooler design means it's easier to install.

This is something you should seriously do some research into. Does the 750D have that annoying overhang issue that the 900D does? Will the DCII's wider design make it harder to install the card. Not something I'd ever have thought about but now it's almost a deal breaker for me. With the 780 TI classified and DCII being the same size as their 780 counterparts I hope this you found this helpful to some degree.
I think i'm gonna go with the Classified... and i'll do some research about that overhang issue... i'm not planning on watercooling the gpu yet but i might in the future
Old 25-01-14, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum077 View Post
I think i'm gonna go with the Classified... and i'll do some research about that overhang issue... i'm not planning on watercooling the gpu yet but i might in the future
Good luck. Hope it all works out.
i5-3570k @4.5 GHZ 1.336v - Asus Maximus V Formula -Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600Mhz Red - Inno 3D GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 (not installed) - Corsair 900D - Seagate1TB 7200 RPM- WD 2TB Green - Samsung 530 120GB SSD - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed) - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed)

Alphacool XT45 480 - XSPC RX 240 (not installed) 140 AF QE white LED - 3 x 120 AF PE - 4 x phobya 120mm - 4 x Bitfinex 120mm pro - 4 x NF-F12 (not installed)
Old 25-01-14, 01:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
OP if you want to spend crazy money you could get one of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1402

For gaming and normal use I would not recommend a Kingpin Edition 780ti as their real use is for benching with LN2.
that card's shroud is so incredibly ugly. by my understanding you put a shroud on a GPU so you can't see what's underneath it, why would anyone make it transparent then. it also looks cheap.
well i suppose most people who would buy one wouldn't leave the cooler on the card for long anyways.
Old 25-01-14, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
that card's shroud is so incredibly ugly. by my understanding you put a shroud on a GPU so you can't see what's underneath it, why would anyone make it transparent then. it also looks cheap.
well i suppose most people who would buy one wouldn't leave the cooler on the card for long anyways.
They could've done a better job with the shroud though... is true if you get one you wouldn't go with air cooling... but it just looks hideous the way it is

Tags
780ti, classified, dcuii, nvidia