Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics - Other

Old 24-01-14, 09:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Maxwell won't be evolutionary and G-sync has a cheaper alternative.. AMDs FreeSync. Nvidia will release Maxwell then AMD will release whatever is next and then the cycle continues. Not much to be excited about tbh.
well it's gonna be evolutionary since it's a new gen
don't think the performance will whack us in the face either though since maxwell is about lower power consumption. so i suppose it will be maybe a 10% performance increase but at a way lower power consumption.

the freesync stuff isn't going to release for ages and apparently it's very problematic if not impossible with anything but laptop displays. nothing to be too excited about.

/edit
amd have that really bad habit of announcing things that sound too good to be true and then when they release it turns out the product isn't that amazing after all.
--> bulldozer
--> kaveri
--> titankiller 290x

i wish they'd keep it realistic or just be silent about it till release.

Old 25-01-14, 07:49 AM
OC3D Elite

The rumor points to Q4 as a release date, which presumably would be the next flagship. There's also a GTX 750Ti that popped up in eastern Europe on sale that's apparently Maxwell, but given its name it's not exactly going to be a flagship.
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33...sted-in-europe

Just got to wait and see. They were supposedly going to do some funky things along the lines of putting an ARM cpu on the same PCB as the GPU which could be interesting.

2014 is going to be a boring year for new hardware it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
amd have that really bad habit of announcing things that sound too good to be true and then when they release it turns out the product isn't that amazing after all.
--> bulldozer
--> kaveri
--> titankiller 290x

i wish they'd keep it realistic or just be silent about it till release.
Bulldozer was definitely overhyped. To be fair though, the 290x was kept pretty well under wraps until after it was released, and it did best the reference Titan & 780 at a fraction of the cost. Although the whole ongoing black screen issue (which is affecting me too) is a bit of a disaster.

Kaveri, they even said they'd lose in straight up performance comparisons to Intel. Nobody ever really expected that to be an Intel killer.

Old 25-01-14, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
The rumor points to Q4 as a release date, which presumably would be the next flagship. There's also a GTX 750Ti that popped up in eastern Europe on sale that's apparently Maxwell, but given its name it's not exactly going to be a flagship.
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33...sted-in-europe

Just got to wait and see. They were supposedly going to do some funky things along the lines of putting an ARM cpu on the same PCB as the GPU which could be interesting.

2014 is going to be a boring year for new hardware it seems.

Bulldozer was definitely overhyped. To be fair though, the 290x was kept pretty well under wraps until after it was released, and it did best the reference Titan & 780 at a fraction of the cost. Although the whole ongoing black screen issue (which is affecting me too) is a bit of a disaster.

Kaveri, they even said they'd lose in straight up performance comparisons to Intel. Nobody ever really expected that to be an Intel killer.
. The 290 and 290x showed an old chip could match and best what were Nvidia's two flagship graphics cards (Pre 780TI) . The biggest issues was heat which was solved with aftermarket GPU's at about %10 less in terms of cost.

As for Maxwell I'm interested in seeing what they'll do with it and I'm wondering what kind of advances they'll make.
i5-3570k @4.5 GHZ 1.336v - Asus Maximus V Formula -Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600Mhz Red - Inno 3D GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 (not installed) - Corsair 900D - Seagate1TB 7200 RPM- WD 2TB Green - Samsung 530 120GB SSD - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed) - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed)

Alphacool XT45 480 - XSPC RX 240 (not installed) 140 AF QE white LED - 3 x 120 AF PE - 4 x phobya 120mm - 4 x Bitfinex 120mm pro - 4 x NF-F12 (not installed)
Old 25-01-14, 01:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post

well it's more expensive than a 780 and with the entire titan killer talk i expected it to best the 780 by something considerable like the 780ti.

Quote:
nah that's not what i meant. i don't expect AMD to beat intel in the CPU market in the foreseeable future.
I am talking quite often to a guy who is seriously in love with APUs and he was talking about Kaveri for the past 2 months non stop. From what he told me i picked up that Kaveri was supposed to best the predecessor's performance by 30-40%. He was majorly disappointed when it turned out that the top end Kaveri APU would only be about 20% faster than the predecessor at a way higher price than expected.
Old 25-01-14, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
well it's more expensive than a 780 and with the entire titan killer talk i expected it to best the 780 by something considerable like the 780ti.
No its not? 290 is a fair bit lower than the price of a 780 even if you currently buy an aftermarket cooler version which has stupid markups right now since everyone was waiting for them, that alone beats a 780 just about they are very similar performance. £60 difference without the aftermarket cooler, £20 with one (lol markups....)

As for the 290X, that is not far behind the 780Ti at all performance wise and is much cheaper (At least £100). It beats the 780 by a decent amount considering it is only slightly more expensive, in comparison to the extra £100 you have to spend on the 780Ti for the slightly larger performance boost that gives you. Don't forget retail price of all AMD cards is currently up too due to retailers hyping the prices since the LTC mining rush.

"entire titan killer talk" That was nothing but fan hype and hope. Nothing from AMD mentioned anything like that. Not to mention the 290X actually is a titan killer anyway, 290 maybe not so much, but just because you were expecting a certain thing doesn't mean the product is bad if it didn't hit your expectations. It's all relative. But you can't possibly argue about the fact that the 290/X is incredibly good value for money in comparison to the 780Ti which is only a slither faster but much more expensive.
CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8 w/240MM AIO Asetek, Mobo: MSI Z87 GD-65, RAM: Patriot 16GB 1866 CL9, GPU: 1x PowerColor Vega 56 Flashed to 64 @ 1570/1070 1020mV/1100mmV SSD: 256GB 850 PRO, HDD's: 1TB Samsung, 3TB Toshiba, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W Case: Fractal Design R4 - Black
Old 25-01-14, 02:00 PM
born in a.....

The 290x was a supposed "titan killer", yes AMD did say that (Not that beating the Titan was proving to be exceptionally hard ,see the 780) and the 290x does "kill the titan", albeit by a few frames. They were super quiet about the 290, which is now probably one of their best selling 'cards and imo now the cooling has been sorted is a great card.
Everyone knows and accepts Bulldozer was overhyped, it was an excellent idea but badly implimented and a bit head of its time. Piledriver now is what Bulldozer should have been, as in steadily improving.When AMD first mentioned Kaveri it was all about reducing power consumption, its just the performance thing got out of hand when certain tech sites started talking about performance gains and AMD suddenly started talking about it as well.

I personally think Maxwell will be Nvidia trying to take AMD on at higher resolutions (and all of a sudden people will start saying that higher res performance matters), I honestly won't be surprised if they redo the 780, call it something else and add more Vram to it. I'm excited to see what comes out though, particularly in the are currently taken by the 770/280x.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 25-01-14, 02:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meladath View Post
No its not? 290 is a fair bit lower than the price of a 780 even if you currently buy an aftermarket cooler version which has stupid markups right now since everyone was waiting for them, that alone beats a 780 just about they are very similar performance. £60 difference without the aftermarket cooler, £20 with one (lol markups....)
290xXXXxXXXXXXXx that was the card i was talking about. XXXXXXXXXX. the 290 is not the flagship

Quote:

As for the 290X, that is not far behind the 780Ti at all performance wise and is much cheaper (At least £100). It beats the 780 by a decent amount considering it is only slightly more expensive, in comparison to the extra £100 you have to spend on the 780Ti for the slightly larger performance boost that gives you. Don't forget retail price of all AMD cards is currently up too due to retailers hyping the prices since the LTC mining rush.
the 290x is only 100 quid cheaper without an aftermarket cooler and without an aftermarket cooler that card is hell. everytime i see people saying otherwise is when the 290x is overclocked and the 780ti is not.

Quote:
Not to mention the 290X actually is a titan killer anyway, 290 maybe not so much, but just because you were expecting a certain thing doesn't mean the product is bad if it didn't hit your expectations.
just because it met your expectations doesn't mean it's a good product either, don't go down the "your opinion is invalid because not everybody shares it" road, once we get there the discussion goes south.

Quote:
It's all relative. But you can't possibly argue about the fact that the 290/X is incredibly good value for money in comparison to the 780Ti which is only a slither faster but much more expensive.
if there is one thing everyone i discussed the 290x with agreed upon then that it is not good value for money. neither is the 780ti, everybody who buys that is aware of that fact.

you can't be serious about the 290x meeting up with expectations.
Old 25-01-14, 02:14 PM
born in a.....

As seeka said, in one of the many threads which talked about the 290/290x vs the 780/780ti, people all agreed that both the 290x and the 780ti aren't worth the extra money. The 290x almost makes sense if you get some to put under water, otherwise they're not worth the extra over the 290. The 780Ti is only worth it if you overclock it.

The 290x was a let down and the 290 is what the 290x should have been in terms of price/performance.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 25-01-14, 03:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
As seeka said, in one of the many threads which talked about the 290/290x vs the 780/780ti, people all agreed that both the 290x and the 780ti aren't worth the extra money. The 290x almost makes sense if you get some to put under water, otherwise they're not worth the extra over the 290. The 780Ti is only worth it if you overclock it.

The 290x was a let down and the 290 is what the 290x should have been in terms of price/performance.
exactly, it would've been the right move to release only the 290, because that's obviously a sweetspot for the chip. they could've still competed with the 780 very well and the 780ti might have never happened. all would've been fine.
Old 25-01-14, 04:55 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I think the 290x is fine where its MSRP is at. Its only $100 more than the 290. Its just this litcoin phase that jacked up the prices making its price/performance ratio fall rather quickly compared to the 290.

I have noticed though the 290 prices on neweeg/amazon are starting to fall slowly though which is always nice! 290x on the otherhand not so much

Tags
gaming, gpu, gtx, maxwell, nvida