Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 04-12-13, 02:45 AM

Help! Can't decide on new mobo

I was able to procure a 4930K for only $195 (about 120 GBP), so I'm jumping into 2011. But I can't decide which motherboard to pair it up with. I am considering the Rampage IV BE, Rampage IV Gene, and the X79-UP4. The black edition is my top pick so far, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (at least not without an enormous mark up). So I began looking at the UP4, which still has the SLI spacing I want. It is lacking in feature set and looks compared with the Rampage, but considerably less expensive. Then I thought, maybe I want to put together a powerhouse mATX system, perhaps in a 350D with that big window. And then I found out that EK is making blocks for the Rampage IV BE. So I am back to square one. Any advice or recommendations?

Intel i7-4930K | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | Asus GTX 780 DCII | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 16GB | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair H100i | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 600T White Edition
Old 04-12-13, 03:27 AM
AMD Enthusiast

What do you want in your rig? Performance or Aesthetics? Considering you are watercooling then i assume you want both, which then means you will not end up paying a cheap amount. For watercooling its either all or nothing. Don't make any shortcuts as it sort of defeats the purpose of a good looking loop.
Old 09-12-13, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the advice! Ordered the R4BE today. As long as there are no holiday shipping delays, I should have everything up and running by January. I'm planning on switching cases and liquid cooling later, perhaps a spring break project.
Intel i7-4930K | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | Asus GTX 780 DCII | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 16GB | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair H100i | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 600T White Edition
Old 09-12-13, 07:58 AM
OC3D Elite

The RIVE BE is a stunning board, I have just received mine and will start building on Wednesday.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.

Tags
350d, 4930k, asus motherboards, gigabyte, water cooling