Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 03-12-13, 04:20 AM
OC3D Crew

Black/Red Themed Build

So I decided to re-haul my build idea to fit a colour scheme rather than just being a mashed up bunch of parts. Here's what I have so far:

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65-GAMING
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr (Twin Frozr Ti OR EVGA Kingpin Ti if it's worth it and fits colours)
Secondary GPU: Clone of first.
Sound: Asustek Xonar Essence STX
SSD: Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB
Primary HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Secondary HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM850

Also going to pick up the NZXT Red Sleeved LEDs and a Sentry 2 fan controller. Is there anything you'd change?

Also, I haven't settled on case fans yet. Preferably black, red or both, LEDs potentially. Recommendations for 3x140mm would be great (think I'm going two 140mms in the front as intakes, one in the back as an exhaust).

Also, should I be looking into custom cables, such as BitFenix Alchemy Cables in black, red, or mixed? I figure if I'm spending so much on a build, I should probably get some tidy looking cables.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-12-13, 11:20 AM
OC3D Crew

Anyone? :c
Old 03-12-13, 12:15 PM
OC3D Elite

I would suggest ditching the red LEDs and get white instead. If your colour scheme is going to have red accents, the red light will drown them out and make everything a hazy reddish colour. White lighting will make the red accents pop out against the black background, and will look a lot better.

You're getting the red vengeance RAM right? Just checking, because it didn't say.

If you haven't made this order yet, I'd swap the PSU for an AX860i, which matches your colour scheme, but also you can get the red individually braided cables for them, which are a LOT better than extensions as they go all the way to your PSU.

Old 03-12-13, 12:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Im with Remmy on the PSU choice. When I was designing a red build, I also chose an AX series power supply.
Old 03-12-13, 12:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post

If you haven't made this order yet, I'd swap the PSU for an AX860i, which matches your colour scheme, but also you can get the red individually braided cables for them, which are a LOT better than extensions as they go all the way to your PSU.
I would go for the straight AX860 if you don't think you'll use the Corsair Link software. Plus the non i versions are Seasonic OEM and I don't know anyone who's ever had issues with their products

Agree with Remmy regarding the cables though, just make sure you pick up the right set
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 3800X, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
Old 03-12-13, 01:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSK View Post
I would go for the straight AX860 if you don't think you'll use the Corsair Link software. Plus the non i versions are Seasonic OEM and I don't know anyone who's ever had issues with their products

Agree with Remmy regarding the cables though, just make sure you pick up the right set
Oh yeah I forgot those existed, I wasn't bothered about the Link software, I just had it in my mind it went from AX850 to AX860i, without the AX860 in between. Go for that.

Old 03-12-13, 04:27 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
I would suggest ditching the red LEDs and get white instead. If your colour scheme is going to have red accents, the red light will drown them out and make everything a hazy reddish colour. White lighting will make the red accents pop out against the black background, and will look a lot better.

You're getting the red vengeance RAM right? Just checking, because it didn't say.

That all makes sense. I'll go for the white LED strips then.

As for the RAM, I wasn't sure whether to get the Vengeance Pro black/red or one of those special red kits. Trying to picture how it would all look is easier said than done!

Any recommendations on the cables, or are the BitFenix Alchemy adequate?

Also, any word on the fans?

Thanks for your help folks, I'll pick up the AX860 instead then.
Old 03-12-13, 04:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
That all makes sense. I'll go for the white LED strips then.

As for the RAM, I wasn't sure whether to get the Vengeance Pro black/red or one of those special red kits. Trying to picture how it would all look is easier said than done!

Any recommendations on the cables, or are the BitFenix Alchemy adequate?

Also, any word on the fans?

Thanks for your help folks, I'll pick up the AX860 instead then.
That RAM will look great I prefer the newer ones to the older Vengeance heatspreaders.

Like we said before, the kit made for the Corsair PSU is better than the Alchemy kits in that the cables extend all the way to the power supply, whereas any extenders do not since PSU connectors are not universal.

For the Corsair kit, the 24pin motherboard pin comes separately so do not forget it if you choose one of these kits.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...-hx-rm-txm-red
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/indiv...28gen-2%29-red

I believe these are the two you need for the AX860.

As for the fans, what about Corsair AF140 quiet or performance editions for the case fans? Or, how about the AF LED fans, also from Corsair? Check those out here:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...ies_led_fans/1

You can never have too many Corsair products after all!

Old 03-12-13, 04:44 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
That RAM will look great I prefer the newer ones to the older Vengeance heatspreaders.
Okay perfect, I'll add that to the shopping list

Quote:
Like we said before, the kit made for the Corsair PSU is better than the Alchemy kits in that the cables extend all the way to the power supply, whereas any extenders do not since PSU connectors are not universal.

For the Corsair kit, the 24pin motherboard pin comes separately so do not forget it if you choose one of these kits.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...-hx-rm-txm-red
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/indiv...28gen-2%29-red

I believe these are the two you need for the AX860.
Oh I understand, forgive my ignorance, I'm new to the more specific features of custom building, my knowledge with cables etc is very lackluster. I had no idea Corsair made their own individually sleeved sets.

I also have a feeling that the pure red will deliver a little more punch so that's actually probably a great thing. Thanks a lot, I'll make sure to pick those up.

Quote:
As for the fans, what about Corsair AF140 quiet or performance editions for the case fans? Or, how about the AF LED fans, also from Corsair? Check those out here:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...ies_led_fans/1

You can never have too many Corsair products after all!
Those AF LED fans look perfect and sound pretty good too. Looks like it's all coming together! Thanks again Remmy!
Old 03-12-13, 04:47 PM
OC3D Elite

No problem, I'm happy to help

Make sure you post a rig gallery when you're done so we can see it in it's fully glory, eh?

Tags
black, msi, nvidia, nzxt, red