Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 09-11-13, 09:10 PM

Location: Where it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter
After yesterday's post I took my CPU block down again and cleaned it with the tenacity of a mad man!! Back up and running over 7hrs I still have a tiny bubble, which is A LOT better than the entire top of my block holding a bubble!!! The flow through the block is much improved from what I can see. If I cycle the pumps the bubble will pass through and then come back a lot later, which is an improvement also. My question: Is there a better brush I can use to clean the fins on this block? I used a tooth brush and a vinegar soak. Could I use a copper bristle brush perhaps? It feels like I am just polishing the block instead of cleaning it. Thoughts?...

Projekt Suma Kuhl 2013 (ended)
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...Suma+Kuhl+2013

Tha Leviathan build in progress...
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=56390
Old 10-11-13, 09:30 AM

You gon' get clean TODAY!!

The weapon of choice

Before:

After:

Update later.

Stay tuned...

Old 11-11-13, 08:40 AM

It lives!

After 15hrs+ of operation, to my utter disappointment the bubble has returned.

I restored the CPU block to damn near stock, checked the plexi for any imperfections. I mean, this thing almost looked the way it did when I pulled it out the box initially. I don't know what else to do.

I welcome any ideas as I am under the impression I have exhausted all solutions sans purchasing a replacement.

HELP!!!

Old 11-11-13, 12:10 PM
OC3D Crew

Well I'm no expert but if that crap hose did that to your cpu block could other blocks not also be effected? Perhaps the cpu block is merely where it (ie the bubble) is getting stuck?

What other blocks do you have?
Old 11-11-13, 06:35 PM
The Webmaster

Have you contacted the block's manufacturer about this?
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 11-11-13, 10:08 PM
OC3D Crew

The only other thing I can think of is to try using a bright dye in your coolant and see if you have a micro leak somewhere. I.e. a leak whereby a couple of drops of liquid are essentially resealing the leak.
Old 12-11-13, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfie View Post
Well I'm no expert but if that crap hose did that to your cpu block could other blocks not also be effected? Perhaps the cpu block is merely where it (ie the bubble) is getting stuck?

What other blocks do you have?
I was also thinking along those lines. I have a Bitspower Memory Block. That one is acrylic and I can't see any blockage. Also, I have two Heatkiller GPU-X3 HD 79X0 blocks. Possibly those could be in as poor condition as my CPU block was. However I have two MCP655s with the Bitspower dual pump top and I doubt bubbles forming in the GPUs would be able to fight the flow back to the CPU. My CPU block is before my GPUs. I have watched the system closely when cycling the pumps and I've never seen any bubbles travel from the GPUs back to the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Have you contacted the block's manufacturer about this?
At this point I have not. However, that might change very soon if I clean my GPUs and this annoyance continues.

Thanks for the help gang. Wednesday I'm going to clean my GPU blocks [if needed]. Also I am going to run my loop with the CPU block exclusively to eliminate other blocks contributing to the bubble. If the bubble appears from that test, I will have to contact EKWB for hopefully on overlooked solution and | or replacement.

Stay tuned...

Old 12-11-13, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCobs View Post
A while back I used some tubing from Home Depot. Lesson learned. Now I have Primochill LRT.
If it's advanced LRT, you can relax. If it's PRO LRT there are very good odds you will get plasticizer in your loop. They had some real horrendous batches of PRO LRT before they released the advanced. Still got 15 feet, completely useless.
ASUS P979X DELUXE /w HK Water Blocks - i7 3930K /w Koolance CPU-370 Water Block - G.SKILL RipjawsZ F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL - 2x 2GB MSI NVIDIA 670 SLI /w XSPC Waterblocks - 128GB Kingston SSD, 256GB Intel SSD, CrucialM500 480GB SSD - Bitfenix Colossus - BitFenix Fury 750GPSU - Phobya Balancer 150 RES - DazMode D5 Vario pump /w EK TOP - AlphaCool ST30 140mm, ST30 280mm, 3x Monsta 120mm radiators - Cougar Turbine 120mm & 140mm fans
Old 12-11-13, 07:33 AM
OC3D Elite

I just feel like there is something restricting your flow, otherwise the average pump would push that bubble out.

On a side not. Fantastic job on the cpu block cleaning. I never managed to get it that clean!

Could your GPU blocks also be block? What is the rest of your loop like?
Could it be that you have many 90degree fittings etc and restrict your loops flow.

Where does the water flow to from your CPU block? maybe there is some restriction after the cpu so the water gets to the block but then hits a wall so to speak.

edit** just went back and looked at your pics. Are you 100% sure mem block is gunk free?

Alternatively I would contact EK and ask for advice from them.
Old 12-11-13, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
If it's advanced LRT, you can relax. If it's PRO LRT there are very good odds you will get plasticizer in your loop. They had some real horrendous batches of PRO LRT before they released the advanced. Still got 15 feet, completely ing useless.
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I just feel like there is something restricting your flow, otherwise the average pump would push that bubble out.

On a side not. Fantastic job on the cpu block cleaning. I never managed to get it that clean!

Could your GPU blocks also be block? What is the rest of your loop like?
Could it be that you have many 90degree fittings etc and restrict your loops flow.

Where does the water flow to from your CPU block? maybe there is some restriction after the cpu so the water gets to the block but then hits a wall so to speak.

edit** just went back and looked at your pics. Are you 100% sure mem block is gunk free?

Alternatively I would contact EK and ask for advice from them.
I count 12 90 degree fittings out of the bunch. If it's slowing my flow I can't see it with the naked eye. The return to the res is visibly turbulent if my 150 is less than half full. When I am refilling the loop my res empties in 1 sec or less. Also, I previously mentioned in an early spot I rerouted the loop so that the CPU block was first after the pumps to eliminate fitting restriction as an issue. In that config I received the sinister bubble also. However, since cleaning my CPU the bubble has not grown as it did before. Prior to cleaning I would bleed the system, tilt the build to pass the bubble, and over the next couple of hours the bubble would grow so that the top portion of the CPU block would be bubbled. I could see the copper plate while the system was running!! As I write this the bubble has not increased. Funny thing is I've seen smaller bubbles get pushed around the sinister bubble during refilling and pump cycling - weird?

Pics of my current loop:
the beginning...

...the first 2 480s...

...the 3rd 480. The acrylic goes to the CPU block IN

The Loop:
150 Res - Dual Pump top MCP655 - 480 rad - 480 rad - 480 rad - CPU block - Mem Block - GPU block - GPU block - 150 Res

It's going to suck balls if cleaning my GPU blocks do not pop the bubble.

*NOTE*
My coolant is off-colored 'cuz I'm running out of Mayhems Pastel White and adding distilled water 'til I place another order

Tags
ekwb, supremacy