Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 03-11-13, 07:35 AM

How fast is your pump running?

Corsair Obsidian 750D | MSI Z77 M-Power | i7 3770k @4.4GHz | Sapphire 7950oc @ 1.1GHz/1.45GHz | 16GB G-Skill Ripjawz 2133 @2400 | Corsair AX 850 | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Custom-Loop liquid cooling

Fractal Design Arc Midi | MSI Z77 M-Power | i5 3570k @Stock | Club 3D 7870 Joker Card | 16GB G-Skill Ripjawz 2133 @2400 | BeQuiet 530W | Samsung 840 125GB | Samsung 750GB | Corsair H100
Old 03-11-13, 09:16 PM

Location: Where it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetetheSweet View Post
How fast is your pump running?
Normally both pumps are on 5. I have tried running the pumps individually on 5 with no dice. Do you think running them on a lower setting would help? Most of the tutorials I read a WHILE back unanimously advised running them on 5 for the bleed and then on 2 or 3 for low noise operation. Thoughts???

Projekt Suma Kuhl 2013 (ended)
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...Suma+Kuhl+2013

Tha Leviathan build in progress...
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=56390
Old 03-11-13, 10:38 PM

Could it be that the coolant is somehow producing tiny gas bubbles when it heats up? Since it's forming the bubbles on the CPU block.

Or maybe it's reacting with the tubing? No idea if it's actually even a thing just throwing some stuff out there, maybe if you have the wrong coolant/tubing combination you get tiny bubbles.

That would explain why you get them when the cpu is in the first part of the loop. Maybe you need to turn down the pump to as low as you can, maybe it's sucking tiny air bubbles out of the res because they haven't had a chance to float to the top of the res yet.

If not that's another 3 things that are not the cause of the air bubble at least.
Old 04-11-13, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
Could it be that the coolant is somehow producing tiny gas bubbles when it heats up? Since it's forming the bubbles on the CPU block.
I would go with that if my temps were horrible. My CPU is at 27 degrees Celsius at idle. Also this is the same equipment I used in my first build Projekt Suma Kuhl 2013 that did not produce a bubble. I'm going to turn the pumps down to one, then two, and so forth to see if that will work. I would've never thought my pumps could be pushing too hard to prevent bleeding. Thanks, and I will report back shortly.

Old 04-11-13, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

I think you have a blockage at the CPU.

Pump may not be able to push the water adequately due to maybe radiator flux trapped in the CPU copper plate. I think I had that problem like you.

When I took the block apart I noticed a small amount of residue built up with was enough to limit the flow from the "In" of the CPU block. It caused a bubble to form exactly like yours has. When system was off the bubble retracted inside the block so I didnt notice it.
Old 04-11-13, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I think you have a blockage at the CPU.

Pump may not be able to push the water adequately due to maybe radiator flux trapped in the CPU copper plate. I think I had that problem like you.

When I took the block apart I noticed a small amount of residue built up with was enough to limit the flow from the "In" of the CPU block. It caused a bubble to form exactly like yours has. When system was off the bubble retracted inside the block so I didnt notice it.
This was my last resort. Breaking down the build and taking a good look at the CPU block. With what you've said, I believe my early inexperience in liquid cooling has caught up with me. I can tell you that when I received my first two SR1s, I did not flush them properly. However, when I broke Projekt Suma Kuhl 2013 down I flushed the holy ghost out of all 3 radiators, and flushed the blocks. I remember how thin the space is between the fins in the CPU block, so I imagine it would take next to nothing to block one. Well, there goes Wednesday coming up. After the dentist I will go to work. Luckily the EK mount for the CPU block allows me to remove it without worrying about the back plate. This will reduce the turn around time.

Any pointers on the best way to clean a block? Very green to this part of the game, and would like to avoid as much noobness as possible.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-11-13, 01:10 PM
OC3D Elite

2 ways you can do it.

1. Vinegar - better result if left to soak over night but some elbow grease and a patient scrub period might work.

2. Ketchup - believe it or not but it does work. I'd sooner use vinegar myself.

And use an old toothbrush.
Old 04-11-13, 02:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
2 ways you can do it.

1. Vinegar - better result if left to soak over night but some elbow grease and a patient scrub period might work.

2. Ketchup - believe it or not but it does work. I'd sooner use vinegar myself.

And use an old toothbrush.
I think the main reason ketchup works is that it has vinegar in it, so I'd just use the plain vinegar too as it's stronger. (At least I've seen people use vinegar to clean copper, I don't know about other materials).

Old 05-11-13, 09:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
I think the main reason ketchup works is that it has vinegar in it, so I'd just use the plain vinegar too as it's stronger. (At least I've seen people use vinegar to clean copper, I don't know about other materials).
Wow.. what a Blonde moment I had. You are obviously correct. I should have realised its contents as I wrote my last post.
Old 09-11-13, 11:49 AM

Heinz Distilled White Vinegar

I removed my CPU block and broke it down. This is what I found:

A while back I used some tubing from Home Depot. Lesson learned. Now I have Primochill LRT.

I let the block soak in vinegar for over 12hrs while I as at work. When I returned home I cleaned it up. Then installed it. Unfortunately I still have a bubble in the same spot.

What more can I do at this point? I'm fresh outta ideas here...

Tags
ekwb, supremacy