Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 28-10-13, 08:12 AM

Location: Where it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter
CPU block bubble issue

I am out of ideas at this point. I have a bubble in my EK-Supremacy Copper Plexi block that won't pass through...

In the first shot the bubble is in the middle circle of the CSQ design. In the second shot it's easier to see due to it being magnified through the plexi.

For more pictures of my build you can search Tha Leviathan in the Project Build Logs.

My loop is as follows:
Dual MCP655 pumps - 480 rad - 480 rad - 480 rad - EK Supremacy Copper Plexi CPU block - Bitspower Memory block - Heat Killer 79X0 - Heat Killer 79X0 - Bitspower 150 Res - Dual MCP655

I've been running this loop for months without hiccup. The bubble has been there for the past 3 - 4 weeks. This bubble has become a thorn in my side. I have tried EVERYTHING to get the bubble to pass. I've tilted my build 90 degrees backwards which gets the bubble to exit the block. Everything is fine. However, a few hours or less later it appears again. I have recently "rinse and repeated" this 4 times, each with the bubble reappearing. I also rerouted my loop so the CPU block is first after the pumps. This didn't pop the bubble either.

I do not have air anywhere else in the loop. I don't have trickling, sloshing, or ticking noises. My loop is dead silent. This bubble grows and shrinks. As I am typing this it has become larger than the pics I have provided. Also my temps are fine. At time of typing My CPU is 29 Celsius, and GPUs are 27 degrees Celsius. I do have the CPU block and jet plate installed properly with the recommended inlet and outlet. I've read air in your loop can harm performance, but it doesn't seem to be harming mine. Unless I'm going to drop 5+ degrees with the bubble popped. I have also read people adding liquid detergent to the fluid to help with bleeding. I'm using Mayhems Pastel White, and I'm not sure how to implement that.

I am at the end of my rope. When I look at my build and see the bubble I feel the loop is not finished. Any ideas on how to fix, or pop this bubble???

Projekt Suma Kuhl 2013 (ended)
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...Suma+Kuhl+2013

Tha Leviathan build in progress...
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=56390
Old 28-10-13, 08:47 AM
The Webmaster

that's really strange.. the fact that it comes back almost sounds like there is a small, minuscule air-leak on the block to me..

Seems odd that it would collect there, if you leave it does it get any bigger or is that it?

It's not in a high-risk area as it's away from the centre so I don't think it will affect your performance much (don't quote me on that) It looks like there are lots of small bubbles as well ? That kinda makes me think the issue is indeed, with the block itself as you would think they'd have joined into the larger, main bubble by the time they collect there..

Very strange.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 28-10-13, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
that's really strange.. the fact that it comes back almost sounds like there is a small, minuscule air-leak on the block to me..

Seems odd that it would collect there, if you leave it does it get any bigger or is that it?

It's not in a high-risk area as it's away from the centre so I don't think it will affect your performance much (don't quote me on that) It looks like there are lots of small bubbles as well ? That kinda makes me think the issue is indeed, with the block itself as you would think they'd have joined into the larger, main bubble by the time they collect there..

Very strange.
Odd indeed. I thought about the plexi being cracked, but wouldn't that create a leak and not bubbles? The block does not leak fluid. The bubble can grow larger, but not by much.

Old 28-10-13, 09:18 AM
The Webmaster

It depends.. but yes you would think so.. depends on the pressure difference. Does it re-appear while the system is off?

i.e. Shake/move the thing around to get rid of the bubble, does it re-appear while the fluid is still standing?

Can you give us a pick of all the fittings etc around the block instead of just a close-up? looks like you're using a long extension from the block?
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Old 28-10-13, 10:07 AM

Quote:
It depends.. but yes you would think so.. depends on the pressure difference. Does it re-appear while the system is off?

i.e. Shake/move the thing around to get rid of the bubble, does it re-appear while the fluid is still standing?

Can you give us a pick of all the fittings etc around the block instead of just a close-up? looks like you're using a long extension from the block?
My rig is rarely off, so I don't know if the bubble appears in that state. I don't think the fittings are causing the bubble. And I KNOW my pump config is pushing the fluid strong. I would hate to replace this block because that is not in the budget.

Old 28-10-13, 10:10 AM
OC3D Elite

It seems to me like it may be the extension, it's O-ring isn't pinched or anything is it? And it's on nice and tight? The only other way I can see it being there all the time is if air in the system just collects on that specific bit for some reason

Old 28-10-13, 10:19 AM
The Webmaster

just to be utterly sure, the fluid is coming IN to the cpu block via that higher rised bit isn't it? Then the Ram, then GPU etc..

Are your GPU's in serial or parallel ?

I notice you've used the single o-ring crystal connections instead of the double o-ring. Are these all connected up okay? no slight off-angle tilts? or any way for air to get in?

P.S. I'm not doubting anything you've done I'm just trying to be thorough

Old 28-10-13, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
It seems to me like it may be the extension, it's O-ring isn't pinched or anything is it? And it's on nice and tight? The only other way I can see it being there all the time is if air in the system just collects on that specific bit for some reason
That extension is fine. I have recently used 3 different fittings on this connection to the block and ended up with the same bubble.

Quote:
just to be utterly sure, the fluid is coming IN to the cpu block via that higher rised bit isn't it? Then the Ram, then GPU etc..

Are your GPU's in serial or parallel ?

I notice you've used the single o-ring crystal connections instead of the double o-ring. Are these all connected up okay? no slight off-angle tilts? or any way for air to get in?

P.S. I'm not doubting anything you've done I'm just trying to be thorough
Yes: CPU block inlet - CPU block outlet - memory block - GPUs. All fittings are tight. C47 and C48 fittings are snug, all straight lines. Nothing off-center. GPUs are in a parallel config.

Old 28-10-13, 11:24 AM
The Webmaster

Hmm this is.. very strange...

If you lay the case on it's back...(i.e. so the block is facing up) and leave it that way does the bubble bugger off?

Old 30-10-13, 07:44 PM

The "Off State" Test

Quote:
Does it re-appear while the system is off?
Yesterday before work I disconnected all I/O, plugged pumps to external PSU, and bled the block by tilting it backwards almost 90 degrees. Then, I went to work. This is what it looked like before I went to work:

I returned home some 11hrs+ later and there are no bubbles. I turned my system on. 2hrs 50mins later, I get this:

10hrs 53mins later, I have this:

I am sooo outta ideas at this point.

What I know:
With the system off - no bubbles
With the system on - bubbles
I have no leaks
All connections are tight
Different loop configurations result in bubbles

Losing...my...mind!