Old 13-09-13, 02:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris230291 View Post
Ladyboys?
I'm sure they have there own charm...

Old 13-09-13, 02:16 PM
The Webmaster

As a Mac Pro owner who's getting tired of his mac pro.. I'm going to be watching this with beady eyes...and totally not *cough* copying any ideas at all...

I've seen one build log of someone doing this that ended up polishing the allu until it was shiny and I have to say I cringed a bit, so hopefully.. you can do it a little more justice!
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 13-09-13, 02:19 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post
I'm sure they have there own charm...
HAHA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
As a Mac Pro owner who's getting tired of his mac pro.. I'm going to be watching this with beady eyes...and totally not *cough* copying any ideas at all...

I've seen one build log of someone doing this that ended up polishing the allu until it was shiny and I have to say I cringed a bit, so hopefully.. you can do it a little more justice!
The Mac Pro is a little more tight on space because of the internal layout, especially with the 5 1/4" bays in place. It's more suited to MATX. It's been done though and can look really good.

Old 13-09-13, 02:34 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris230291 View Post
HAHA.

The Mac Pro is a little more tight on space because of the internal layout, especially with the 5 1/4" bays in place. It's more suited to MATX. It's been done though and can look really good.
I'm tempted to give it a go.. might try picking a case up and seeing just how much stuff you can fit in there...

There is also the daughterboard tray to think about.. but I think that could be addressed
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Old 13-09-13, 02:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
I'm tempted to give it a go.. might try picking a case up and seeing just how much stuff you can fit in there...

There is also the daughterboard tray to think about.. but I think that could be addressed
DOIT!

You'd be surprised what you can get in there if you really think about it and CAD it up first

Whats the daughterboard? Is that the bit where the RAM cards slide in?

Old 13-09-13, 02:48 PM
The Webmaster

Ram and CPU's are on a totally different board, slots in horizontally like a GPU would but is secured via a locking mechanism

Looking at it though I think that whole lower section could probably come out.

aww maan now i wanna tear up my mac pro but i need it for iOS work

Old 13-09-13, 02:56 PM
OC3D Crew

Arh right ye i thought thats what you meant. Most people just lose the lower parts. Some people keep them but i don't think that looks right. I suppose it looks more like a Mac Pro inside though, if thats what they're going for.

Old 13-09-13, 06:17 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:

I certainly don't plan to polish the aluminium, I really like the look of the case as it is (I could live without the apple logos but I don't mind them).
I'll try my best to do this case justice
Old 13-09-13, 07:47 PM
OC3D Crew

Earlier this week I started cutting the casepanels to the right size before I went to a mate who cut the holes for the screws, fans and cables for me with a CNC machine

Before milling we took the measurement for the SketchUp model over to Inventor in order to export a format the CNC machine could work with.

Here are the finished parts:

The mainboard tray was milled from a 3mm thick aluminium plate

Both the dividing plate and the fan/rad mounting plate were made from the case's sidepanels. The dividing plate also had to be bent to make the PSU fit and keep the G5 case's sidepanel locking system.

As we only use metric threads in Switzerland I needed custom motherboard standoffs (normally they use a 6-32 thread).
Fortunately my mate seems to own pretty much every tool one could possibly want so he showed me how to make my own standoffs on a lathe:

I'm very pleased with the result considering it was the first time I used such a machine.
Old 14-09-13, 08:36 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarc View Post
I've been working on a new project that I'd like to share with you and hear your opinion. I haven't posted for a while now because I've been in the army for the last 10 months but now it's time to update my rig.

[...]
10 months? Sounds familiar... Durchdiener?

Quote:
That just sounds wrong. I've always like these cases with their brushed alu look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarc View Post
As we only use metric threads in Switzerland I needed custom motherboard standoffs (normally they use a 6-32 thread).
Fortunately my mate seems to own pretty much every tool one could possibly want so he showed me how to make my own standoffs on a lathe:

I'm very pleased with the result considering it was the first time I used such a machine.
Ah yes, 6-32 UNC... Those are some nice standoffs! I turned to eBay when I
was facing a similar predicament.

Luckily I recently found out my neighbour has a mill and a lathe in his basement, so I'll be
able to make use of his services (he's a pensioner, lots of free time, and he used to be in
the semiconductor industry, so he's definitely interested in PC's ) for my copper tubing and
some other stuff.

Looking forward to more of this.

Tags
case, mod, powermac