Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-07-13, 10:51 PM

Question What's wrong with OCZ?

So I made my weekly Facebook check today, and saw that Tom posted this:

Quote:
So we all have our favourite brand, but what's your worst and why? I personally don't have time for OCZ or Thermaltake, far too many reasons why but they both make me feel dirty *shudders*
I've had the feeling Tom had something against OCZ when he notably omitted them from his recommendations for PSUs and SSDs in a couple of his videos; So my question is does anyone know why?

I've had LOADS of OCZ products in the past and they've ALWAYS been great quality and have good customer service, as well as being well priced.

With that in mind, and also keeping in mind that TTL is a cool guy who doesn't afraid of corporations, all I could guess is that they refused to send him review samples or something after he gave them a bad review so he doesn't talk about them? I don't know. I also don't know what to think about him publicly calling them out on his Facebook page... I don't want him to damage his rep with other manufacturers.

INB4 I work for OCZ; No I don't. And I'm not a fanboy.

Old 04-07-13, 10:52 PM
OC3D Elite

OCZ power supplies

I've had 2 ocz psu's, both died within 6 months.

I've never RMA'd ram or any SSD's from them though.
Old 04-07-13, 10:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Maybe that's because you don't use high end rigs? I wouldn't dare powering an expensive computer with an OCZ power supply. Also, their SSDs have the highest failure/return rates on the market. I remember someone sent me a diagram and one OCZ SSD had a fail rate of literally over 40%

Pretty sure not all their products suck, but once your company gets associated with stats like that... Well, you're fooked.

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 04-07-13, 10:56 PM
OC3D Elite

OCZ PSUs have had a pretty bad reputation at times, particularly for frying your PC when they went, as have their RAM modules, and the Vertex 3 SSDs, which I guess is why TTL doesn't like them. Personally I have had more Corsair stuff go wrong than OCZ (one set of Corsair RAM, two PSUs, one SSD), but if you have been burned by one company consistently you are more likely to dislike them. (I should note that I have used about 10 Corsair PSUs over the years, and 8 sets of Corsair RAM so that failure rate isn't awful, especially as one of the PSUs I think was killed by the cleaner).

Thermaltack on the other hand (as an owner of some TT stuff) is pretty awful compared to other hardware manufacturers.

i9 7980XE 4.6GHz - EK Supreme EVO - Asus - X299-RVIE - 32GB 3677MHz RAM - 2 x 2080Ti EK Cu Block - Creative Titanium Pro - Tower - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB - Plextor 240GB PCIe SSD - 6TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 04-07-13, 11:08 PM
OC3D Elite

I have had a Vertex IV for about 8 months from before I'd heard anything bad about them and it's been great so far, so maybe I just got lucky or something, I probably won't risk getting another OCZ SSD, I think I'm getting Corsair Force GT(s) next

Old 04-07-13, 11:10 PM
OC3D Elite

I've had a Vertex III for quite a while and that has been fine. Only early models were affected IIRC.

i9 7980XE 4.6GHz - EK Supreme EVO - Asus - X299-RVIE - 32GB 3677MHz RAM - 2 x 2080Ti EK Cu Block - Creative Titanium Pro - Tower - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB - Plextor 240GB PCIe SSD - 6TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 04-07-13, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Maybe that's because you don't use high end rigs? I wouldn't dare powering an expensive computer with an OCZ power supply. Also, their SSDs have the highest failure/return rates on the market. I remember someone sent me a diagram and one OCZ SSD had a fail rate of literally over 40%

Pretty sure not all their products suck, but once your company gets associated with stats like that... Well, you're fooked.
Well I'd be interested in seeing those figures, but in terms of "I don't run a high end enough system", I've put together a gallery of my setup.

I have an ES 2500k clocked at 4.8GHz with a custom watercooling loop, a P8P67 MB w/8GBs Mushkin Blackline 1866 RAM, a 2x1TB Raid 0 Array and 2 SSDs (Boot is OCZ), a reference Zotac GTX 680, and ALL is powered by a 3 YEAR OLD OCZ StealthxStream2 600W.
Old 04-07-13, 11:49 PM
OC3D Crew

Having owned 3 OCZ SSD's - They suck. Very unreliable, they fail very fast. That company just doesn't know what they are doing in my opinion.
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 05-07-13, 12:06 AM
OC3D Elite

I think they're fine but not high quality. HardOCP hammers and I mean HAMMERS on the stuff they review and OCZ usually doesn't come out the other end like a Seasonic, Corsair, Kingwin or even Enermax (but they've been pedestrian lately it seems). Their SSD's never do that we'll in tests either although their new Vertex 3.0 drives seem to be better.

So yeah, I don't think they suck necessarily but I just don't consider them high end like a Seasonic power supply or a Plextor SSD.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• Acer Predator XB272 @ 240 Hz
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Logitech G MX518
Old 05-07-13, 08:40 AM
OC3D Elite

What about OCZ Vertex 4?

Tags
ocz, ttl