Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 24-06-13, 12:24 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurpack View Post
You pay your money you make your choice. You demand the best performing board for multiple graphics, DRAM, Uncore, BLK overclocking and tweaking. You are an overclocker who wants endless tuning options then they are all within this board. You ared a gamer who wants higher FPS this will give it ya. Faster Encoding done.

I would never be happy with 4.6ghz!!!

I am gonna do two benches with and without Uncore and memory tweaks. Then we see the performance difference maybe more than you think. I will post the results. All Air/Water stuff.

Is OCUK quiet today mate? Asus just phoned me to say you bitching at work too. Poor show mate. If you dont get what I am trying to say then fine.

But this is my opinion, and you can quote me on this.

"you dont need to spend £300+ on ANY brand to get to the thermal limits on any Haswell CPU. If you have the money and want to then fine but your CPU will start throttling before you reach the limits on a decent board like the GD65 Gaming which is just £160"

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 24-06-13, 12:32 PM

This is not bitching its pointing out how the review is fundamentally flawed. You have not tested what other boards cant do and this can!!! or more accurately where this board excels. Hence then its more worth the premium to high end gamers, overclockers and so fourth.

Your still not addressing my point!! Why not try BLK? Uncore? DRAM etc. Why not on all the boards then you can find the deficiency's and present a better overall informed article. With correct benchmark testing at the limit of the CPU's actual capabilities on a given board.
Old 24-06-13, 01:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Is OCUK quiet today mate? Asus just phoned me to say you bitching at work too. Poor show mate. If you dont get what I am trying to say then fine.
He works for Asus?
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 24-06-13, 01:44 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicey View Post
He works for Asus?

Sponsored by Asus, works for OCUK.

Old 24-06-13, 01:45 PM
OC3D Crew

I see. Interesting how all these people turn up when this review was posted.
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 24-06-13, 01:50 PM
The Guvnor

He has raised some valid points but thats not the angle I was going for. 99% of the people that buy this board will use it as it was reviewed or not even this far.

My point always was and still is, unless you know your this board is massive overkill and cheaper boards will be much better for you.... Even something like the |Sabertooth and then spend the saved money on better GFX

Old 24-06-13, 01:56 PM
OC3D Crew

Totally I understood your point from the video it was put very succinctly, other boards are better value for the kinds of people this board is being marketed at. And you touched on the ROG branding not fitting with all the overclocking features and I agree with that too.

I really think Asus should make a pure overclockers brand like Gigabyte have done. If I had one word for what this product with its branding is, it would be: "Confused".
Old 24-06-13, 02:09 PM
The Guvnor

Essentially the days are gone (with midrange anyways) that you need to spend a mint to overclock. CPU's and boards are so good now even a £200 board could be seen as being overkill.

If youre an overclock junky then fine. Most just are not. Just like Lurpack got given his board.... He didnt buy it....

Old 24-06-13, 02:29 PM

I don't understand how there is any conjecture over all this.

Let's say for a minute that the VI Extreme actually DID do a bit better than the MSI and Gigabyte boards, would that little improvement still make it worth the extra money? My wallet doesn't think so. And so should be the case for everyone else that doesn't want/need every last MHz out of a processor. And lets face it, anyone that DOES want/need every last MHz out of a processor is probably given that processor and the board to put it in.

Tom's points are still quiet valid even if this board was BETTER than the other two, even more so that he found it not to be.

You could see this trend with Sandy, more so with Ivy and now it's laid out with Haswell. In 99.9% of cases something else is going to be holding you back before the motherboard is. If you want performance don't expect to find it in a motherboard box.
Old 24-06-13, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Sponsored by Asus, works for OCUK.
I am not sponsored by ASUS. All manufacturers supply me boards to test for SI and to Overclock with. Not only ASUS!! Infact all of them. I have tested all the boards you have here plus many more on air,water and LN2.

I am just trying to point out that the end user now has several options to get more from the system than just simple multi-overclocking and I believe a reviewer should spend the time getting the best from a board before benching and commenting on it. I believe here 15% performance on some benches is missing thats alot!!! People would jump at 15% higher CPU why not get that through efficiency??? and maximizing what you have.