Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 05-06-13, 11:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
I really really don't need 256gb of SSD room
Yet youve got 2 SSD's listed in your first post totaling 384GB. Just going off what you said you wanted.

Quote:
I have a very very few games installed that probably will not even fill the SSD to half way ontop of OS on a 128GB drive.
Games will fill up a hard drive faster than you think and with you saying youre doing a lot of video work that youd want the extra storage.

But whatever.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• Acer Predator XB272 @ 240 Hz
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Logitech G MX518
Old 05-06-13, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTBR View Post
3930k FTW (But im bias), any way now for the meaningful advice, i would go for the 3930k as the more cores plus a decent overclock will mean you can render faster than on the haswell, with a w/c loop just on your cpu you will be able to get at least 4.8 - 4.8mhz, gaming wise both of them would be overkill but you need it for video editing, in my honest opinion i would go with the sandy-e build.

Apart from as stated before no 2nd ssd for recording, a fast 7200rpm drive and decent cache will be fine, something like a seagate barracuda or wd caviar black, i think the seagate is cheaper though so your choice! and also the PSU, i would go for a Corsair AX760 or AX860 (either 'i' or normal) as they are 80 plus platinum not gold, also they look awesome!! Hope that helps

Edit: Also something to think about, the 840 pro is a good drive but the SanDisk 120Gb Extreme is cheaper and faster, Another thing to think about!
Hello, thanks for replying. I had the same thoughts about the OC that I'd be able to get a lot more overclocking done on it compared to the 4770k since the new Haswell gets hot really quickly. I might take a look at an alternative PSU and will look for a mechanical internal drive.

The 840 pro seems to have the highest of opinions on it, lots of recommendation and little RMA counts on Newegg so that's the only reason I am going for it.

If the 4770k and 3930k is on par with gaming, then I guess the extra money is for the uses of the other two cores which in my case will be beneficial? providing that I am on budget after removing my second SSD.

I have an old external, would it be able to handle 1080p video file writes do you think? link is below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,

Meng

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Yet youve got 2 SSD's listed in your first post totaling 384GB. Just going off what you said you wanted.

Games will fill up a hard drive faster than you think and with you saying youre doing a lot of video work that youd want the extra storage.

But whatever.
Sorry, forgot to edit to 1 SSD as I am only going to be using an SSD boot drive now and probably will be 128gb. I will manage I think, if not I can get another one later on some time down the line.
Old 05-06-13, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Hello, thanks for replying. I had the same thoughts about the OC that I'd be able to get a lot more overclocking done on it compared to the 4770k since the new Haswell gets hot really quickly. I might take a look at an alternative PSU and will look for a mechanical internal drive.

The 840 pro seems to have the highest of opinions on it, lots of recommendation and little RMA counts on Newegg so that's the only reason I am going for it.

If the 4770k and 3930k is on par with gaming, then I guess the extra money is for the uses of the other two cores which in my case will be beneficial? providing that I am on budget after removing my second SSD.

I have an old external, would it be able to handle 1080p video file writes do you think? link is below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,

Meng
That's fair enough go for the 840 pro, for gaming the 3930k will be better than 4770k simply because it has more cores, the reason that people tend to advise i5's for gaming is that gaming isn't very could intensive but more gpu intensive, plus most games don't use hyperthreding! Any way I'm getting off subject, the video rendering will use all 6 cores and the other 6 hyperthreds and will be faster than the 4770k and it's 4 cores and additional 4 hyperthreds! In short yes the 3930k's extra cores would be beneficial!

As for you external drive it would be able to handle the video game writers but it will be significantly slower because it will be transferring over USB 2.0, not SATA 6Gb/s, so best just to go for a new hdd and use that as a backup for everything!
Intel 3770k - MSi Z77 GD65 Gaming- Corsair H100i - 8Gb Corsair Vengeance LP - MSi GTX 780 OC Gaming - 1Tb Seagate Barracuda - SanDisk 120Gb Extreme - Corsair AX860i - BitFenix Alchemy Extension Cables
Old 05-06-13, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTBR View Post
That's fair enough go for the 840 pro, for gaming the 3930k will be better than 4770k simply because it has more cores, the reason that people tend to advise i5's for gaming is that gaming isn't very could intensive but more gpu intensive, plus most games don't use hyperthreding! Any way I'm getting off subject, the video rendering will use all 6 cores and the other 6 hyperthreds and will be faster than the 4770k and it's 4 cores and additional 4 hyperthreds! In short yes the 3930k's extra cores would be beneficial!

As for you external drive it would be able to handle the video game writers but it will be significantly slower because it will be transferring over USB 2.0, not SATA 6Gb/s, so best just to go for a new hdd and use that as a backup for everything!
Thanks, in regards to graphics cards since we are on the topic, does SLI systems help video encoding? presuming that I get something like a two way or even three way SLI GTX 660 TI? also do you have any clue what the best way is to cool those as I'd imagine there will be a lot more heat.

Thanks,

Meng
Old 06-06-13, 02:24 AM
AMD Enthusiast

SLI will only help FPS dude. Only cards that help recording are the 700 series as they have a built in a hardware recorder(can't remember correctly from toms review). 700 series is a no brainer for you.

3930k(because you have the money) and a 780 are my recommendations. Mine as well watercool the 780 as well!
Old 06-06-13, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
SLI will only help FPS dude. Only cards that help recording are the 700 series as they have a built in a hardware recorder(can't remember correctly from toms review). 700 series is a no brainer for you.

3930k(because you have the money) and a 780 are my recommendations. Mine as well watercool the 780 as well!
Hello, yeh I think I will stick to the 780 and SLI up if I need to in the future and expand my loop but I don't think I will WC them unless if I get SLI.
Old 06-06-13, 02:52 PM
OC3D Elite

LOL Why hasn't anyone told you to get an avermedia capture card yet..?

Get one of these and you won't see any framerate drop while recording since the card does your encoding, not your CPU. And make sure you're recording to a Mach drive, recording to a SSD (Even with TRIM) will basically brick it in about 2 months. Trust me, I have some youtube commentator mates and they tried recording to an SSD, don't make that mistake.

Moving along, if you have the money go for the 3930k since it will drop rendering time pretty dramatically (4C/8T vs 6C/12T make a difference.)

Apart from that your basically spot on
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]
Old 06-06-13, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks, in regards to graphics cards since we are on the topic, does SLI systems help video encoding? presuming that I get something like a two way or even three way SLI GTX 660 TI? also do you have any clue what the best way is to cool those as I'd imagine there will be a lot more heat.

Thanks,

Meng
What NBD said!! , that's what i would of said in responce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post

Intel 3770k - MSi Z77 GD65 Gaming- Corsair H100i - 8Gb Corsair Vengeance LP - MSi GTX 780 OC Gaming - 1Tb Seagate Barracuda - SanDisk 120Gb Extreme - Corsair AX860i - BitFenix Alchemy Extension Cables
Old 06-06-13, 05:05 PM
OC3D Crew

Intel i7 4770k - £260
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H LGA1150 - £165
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz - £141
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD - £107
WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10,000RPM - £171
EVGA GTX 780 - £540
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold Certified PSU - £94
NZXT Switch 810 White - £140
XSPC RayStorm D5 RX360 WaterCooling Kit - £300
LiteOn 24x Internal SATA DVD RW Drive [IHAS124-04] - £11

£1929

With:
Intel i7-3930K (SR0KY) - £ 380
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 Intel X79 - £158

£2042
Old 07-06-13, 01:59 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Seems like a awful lot of money to spend with a hdd included.. the 10Krpm models won't help very much in recording. Stick with a 64mb cache 7.2krpm hdd.

I would say Seasonic for the psus. EVGA may be a great gpu vendor but I wouldn't trust them powering 2000pounds of hardware.

Tags
gaming, haswell, lga2011, recording, rendering