Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 20-03-13, 07:20 AM

Smile Could i please have some advice on flashing a HD5970

I've had a HD5970 for a while and always had a problem in Windows 7 with
'Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.'

Recently found a fix for this with the HD5970 Overvolt tool, have tested it well, and it does not crash if I overvolt it before I game. The volts it overclocks to are;
Engine Clock Original 1.05V to 1.1625V
Memory Voltage Original 1.10V to 1.15V

I'd like to permanently fix my card so I don't have to overvolt it every time I start a game so i've been looking into flashing it's bios with the original rom image and those voltage adjustments made permanent.

Can I do this with radeon bios editor? Is it advised? Are those safe voltages?... I can only see one 3d voltage in there under clock settings 1.05V (I'm guessing this is the Engine voltage), How would I make the change to the memory voltage as well?

The only 1.1V setting I have found is under the VTT Registers, Is this the memory voltage I am looking for?

Also under GPU Registers, there is another 1.05V under 0x18, Would I change this also?

I have a custom fan profile set with MSI Afterburner... Should I write the new bios with that too?

My card doesn't crash 2d so I don't think i'd need to change anything else...

Thanks in advance

Old 21-03-13, 02:07 AM

Smile

Decided to go ahead and flash the bios, after 5 or so attempts (powerplay wasn't working and stuck at 3d clocks) I have successfully dialed in those voltages in the overvolt tool to the HD5970 and have powerplay working properly.

My next mission is to get the fan profile settings running correctly. I can set a fan profile in the BIOS editor, and it works up until it hits windows where driver takes over and locks it at 29/30% (right up until 100degrees~ wtf)

So.. Will make a simple thread asking about how to disable driver fan profiles.. I can't seem to find any info on the net. This is so I don't have to use MSI afterburner anymore etc...

Once i'm all done. I'll write a guide and post it for anyone experiencing the same crashes as me
Old 21-03-13, 06:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Well done mate, hope you have read up on blind flashing just in case anything goes wrong...

Tags
ati, bios, crash, flash, radeon