Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 02-02-13, 02:36 PM

surround gaming headphones, or stereo headphone? advice please

sup guys.

I recently decided that i was going to get some headphones.

I have a complicated situation where by I cant really decide what i want to get, so I need some advice.

Initially i knew that i wanted to get a good pair of stereo headphones, as i will be using them to play games, but also listen to music.

but i recently just bought a oculus rift virtual reality headset (check it out if you havent heard of it, its the future, its arriving in a few months). and where as before i wasnt to fussed about the surround sound effect, now im thinking that stereo headphones wont cut it.

i was going to get sennheiser hd25-c ii, they are top quality headphone and they cost about £160, i guess i would go up to £200, and just a note a mic is not a priority, i wont care if i have one or if i dont.

so what i would like to know is, what is the surround sound effect in some of these gaming headsets like. is it any good, how do they compare to normal headphones when listening to music.

also to note, i am very lucky to have about 15k worth of hi-fi, so i have a pretty high standard when it comes to surround sound.

why do i want a headset you ask, well im not at home all the time, so when im away ill be using the headset.

in my rig i have an asus xonar essence stx, which is about the best headphone card you can buy, before you start going into crazy money.

so whats the verdict guys, stick with the sennheisers or get a surround sound headset.

thanks

Old 02-02-13, 02:44 PM
OC3D Elite

The Sennheisers are more for portable use on iPods than use with the STX.

As they're portable, they're on ear headphones, rather than over-ear, and so will not be as good as a pair of over-ear phones.

You'd be better with a proper over-ear construction like Beyerdynamic DT770/990 depending on whether you want an open or closed design.
Old 02-02-13, 03:33 PM

thanks for your reply but you didnt answer my question.

re the sennheisers, you can get 600 ohm version of the same headphone that have a full size jack, but i feel that the lower impedance version is more flexible for what i want, as i do sometimes use my iphone.

also the sennheisers are closed headphones, although you are right in that they dont cover you whole ear.

so still waiting to hear what surroundsound is like with some of the gaming gear?
Old 02-02-13, 03:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Gaming headsets are terrible compared to proper headphones. More so if you have the STX... Stick with proper headphones. To answer your question with surround sound though...the virtual 7.1 surround on the STX does a good job IMO with surround. Considering the card only puts out in stereo though, you can't really use a surround sound gaming headset with your card anyway... and even if you could - as I said, proper headphones would be better.

The Sennheisers that you linked are meant for DJs, not for home use whatsoever - and so not really what you should be looking at.

You wouldn't want anything as high as 600Ohm. I'd say 250Ohm maximum.
Anything over about 80Ohm you'd need an amp really to use with your iPhone, like a Fiio for example.
Old 02-02-13, 05:09 PM

great, thats what i wanted to hear, and pretty much exactly what i suspected. yeah i realise you cant use the 600 ohm versions with anything other than an amp. i think the sennheisers i was looking at were only 70 though.

and the stx does output in multi channel using coaxial. although im sure the gaming headsets dont have digital input for true 5/7.1

ill do some research regarding the beyerdynamics are they the best brand iyo?
Old 02-02-13, 05:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Yes, but doing that bypasses the DAC, which negates the best part of the card.

Beyerdynamic make great headphones. Very good build quality and great sound. More fit for purpose than the Sennheisers you linked first.
Old 02-02-13, 07:05 PM

yeah i realise, but the DAC is of no use to me when im watching films.
i bought the card with a future headphone purchase in mind. currently its main use providing 5.1 to my preamp
Old 02-02-13, 07:31 PM

Depending on whether you want closed or open back headphones, you might want to look at the AKG range. Semi-open would be K240s or K242s, and K271 for closed back. Of course they are quite low in price when looking at your budget but they might be worth a look into.

Dell U2412M / Iiyama B2475HDS / Filco Majestouch TKL Ninja (Blues) / Mionix Naos 3200 / Steelseries Qck / Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 / AKG K240 MkII / Yamaha HS7
Old 02-02-13, 11:22 PM
The Webmaster

Just got some AKG 702's All I can say is, worth every god damn penny
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 06-02-13, 01:09 AM

If you don't want to break the bank, don't plan on going into public with these on, and want one of the best pairs of headphones for surround gaming, look no further than the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. They're quite possibly some of the ugliest headphones ever created, but they're comfy and sound great, with both music and positioning in game.

Tags
headphones, headset, stereo