Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Memory

Old 10-01-13, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Gamepro105
Unhappy Problem with XMS3 and AS-rock extreme 7

Hello overclock3D guys and girls,
I am going to just straight into this, so Basically i've been building up a new rig today and I came across a very big problem with the the as-rock extreme 7 and corsair xms 3 ram. I have brought the as-rock extreme 7 z68 motherboard running on an ivy bridge i5 processor and all cooled by a h100i with 2X4GB sticks of corsair XMS3 ram, but i started up the system an nothing appeared on screen and the mother board wen through the error codes starting the chipset and all that but it then displays error 55 this means ram not installed. so i have got corsair xms3 ram all installed in the correct dual channel configuration as guided in the motherboard manual and it does not seem to boot. The motherboard ram support guide says that it supports "CM3X2048-1333C9DHX" and i can not see why it wouldn't support my 2X4GB sticks if some one could tell me whats wrong or help me out in any way it would really be appreciated. i understand i don't have the best computer on the forum but i am just making it for my daily usage.

Thanks allot

Regards Luke

Old 10-01-13, 10:43 PM
OC3D Elite

It's not the RAM, its the mainboard. It needs a bios update to support the Ivy Bridge CPU. Go to the official Asrock website and contact their customer support. Tell them exactly what your problem is and they'll send you a new bios chip, no problem

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 10-01-13, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you ever so much I really appreciate your help! ill give it a go and let you know how it goes!
Old 10-01-13, 10:47 PM
OC3D Elite

as said above, asrock is not a great mobo manu but are fairly cheap. update bios through usb, assuming you can get to it, i.e. have a cpu you can use to even get to bios splash.
MSI Z97 Gaming 7, i7 [email protected], Palit Super Jetstream GTX 980ti, 16GB Corsair Vengence [email protected] 9/10/9/10/26 , Corsair HX850i, NZXT H440 grid+, Corsair H100 Push nff12, AF140 outake 5.6v, 3xsp120 intake 5.6v 250gb 840evo boot, 120gb V300 games, 1tb wd black storage||| 3Dmark score
Old 10-01-13, 10:49 PM
OC3D Elite

It's cause you're using an Ivy Bridge CPU in a mainboard that was designed for Sandy Bridge, a bios update should fix this

Glad I could help and keep us updated!

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 10-01-13, 11:29 PM

Excuse me but what were you talking about "a new bios chip"? They will not send any chip to anyone. You just go to the ASRock website and download the latest bios and transfer it to your USB stick which you are going to plug into your mobo's usb port and then update the bios, as simple as that. Should take no longer than 5 minutes.
Aerocool XPredator White Edition | Intel Core i5 3570K @4,3Ghz | 16Gb Kingston HyperX @1600Mhz CL9 | Asus Strix 970 4GB | Corsair Force GT 120Gb (Win7) | Corsair Force 3 120Gb | WD Caviar Black 1Tb | WD Caviar Blue 1Tb | Corsair Hydro H100 | XFX Core Edition Pro 750W | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Asus Xonar DX | Ducky Shine 2 (Brown) | SteelSeries Sensei Fnatic Edition | Asus PA238Q

Old 10-01-13, 11:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YbrFinX View Post
Excuse me but what were you talking about "a new bios chip"? They will not send any chip to anyone. You just go to the ASRock website and download the latest bios and transfer it to your USB stick which you are going to plug into your mobo's usb port and then update the bios, as simple as that. Should take no longer than 5 minutes.
You can't update the bios if you cannot even get into it mate. The whole board won't boot. He'd need to use a Sandy Bridge CPU to update the bios and then swap back to Ivy.

When I had this issue I filled in a form on their custommer support. They were aware of the issue, asked me for my adress and the next day I had a brand new bios chip in the mail. Great customer support from Asrock there tbh. They may be a budget brand, but I think they've done fairly well over the last couple of years

Old 10-01-13, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
You can't update the bios if you cannot even get into it mate. The whole board won't boot. He'd need to use a Sandy Bridge CPU to update the bios and then swap back to Ivy.

When I had this issue I filled in a form on their custommer support. They were aware of the issue, asked me for my adress and the next day I had a brand new bios chip in the mail. Great customer support from Asrock there tbh. They may be a budget brand, but I think they've done fairly well over the last couple of years
Oh my, so you can't update the bios of asrock boards using USB, if that's what you're trying to say... Never had one, but I at least expected them to have this very basic feature...
Aerocool XPredator White Edition | Intel Core i5 3570K @4,3Ghz | 16Gb Kingston HyperX @1600Mhz CL9 | Asus Strix 970 4GB | Corsair Force GT 120Gb (Win7) | Corsair Force 3 120Gb | WD Caviar Black 1Tb | WD Caviar Blue 1Tb | Corsair Hydro H100 | XFX Core Edition Pro 750W | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Asus Xonar DX | Ducky Shine 2 (Brown) | SteelSeries Sensei Fnatic Edition | Asus PA238Q

Old 11-01-13, 04:55 PM

go trow step by step aging and it might be that you have to start it with out the ram first or start it with one or you might have it wrong or the ram is no good rma it for others.
Old 11-01-13, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRECINCT View Post
go trow step by step aging and it might be that you have to start it with out the ram first or start it with one or you might have it wrong or the ram is no good rma it for others.
The guys above are right I have checked, the sticker on my bios chip says p1.30-15A and i need 2.10 or above to run an ivy bridge processor i am doing my best to sort it with ASRock. This is what it looks like so far (not the best quality image sorry)

Tags
asrock extreme 7, corsair xms3, problem, z68