Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 04-07-12, 08:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Yes the D14 can handle temperatures...but when you want to overclock more you need more?

I dont think I actually agree with 1 thing you said.

If you do watercooling properly then you wont get leaks. And if you're nooby enough to be making mistakes that will cause leaks, then you deserve all you get for not reading up enough in the first place.

I think you've actually gone and beaten Jeremy for getting the most hate after 1 post.

Old 04-07-12, 08:52 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAgamemnon View Post
So, based on the responses so far, I have gathered that some people who water cool are suffering from:

1. A nasty case of bad manners
2. Temperature Fixation Syndrome

A Noctua D14 heat-pipe idles the CPU at 34 degrees and handles my highest load at 62 degrees, and I can barely hear the fans spin. Anything cooler is just a waste of time and money...
It's neither of those, it's the facts. Yeah, your D14 keeps your CPU at 62 degrees, but under what overclock? Watercooling can do that under large overclocks with ease, it's in a different league to a D14 and similar air coolers.

I also find it a bit hypocritical when you say we all have "Temperature Fixation Syndrome" then you go on to say "My D14 handles my CPU at 62 degrees". Not being rude or anything like that, just putting the facts out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
I think you've actually gone and beaten Jeremy for getting the most hate after 1 post.
Haha! I don't think anyone can beat him on that front

Old 04-07-12, 08:59 PM

Isn't it ironic the hottest component (GPU) is frequently not the first component to be water-cooled, if ever?

Many people spend lots of cash on video cards, more than any other component, so it's kind of ironic how many fixate on the CPU but continue to air-cool the hottest, most expensive component in the box!
Old 04-07-12, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Isn't it ironic the hottest component (GPU) is frequently not the first component to be water-cooled, if ever?

Many people spend lots of cash on video cards, more than any other component, so it's kind of ironic how many fixate on the CPU but continue to air-cool the hottest, most expensive component in the box!
I wouldn't say the gpu is the hottest part, my Powercolor pcs+ 5850 maxes out at about 53c and is only at 30% fan speed
Old 04-07-12, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
A guy has to have goals in life, no?

;->

I have garnered one piece of advice from this apparently ill-advised thread: Noob water-coolers should practice their first build on some crap hardware before trying to install a shower in an expensive rig.

It's the old chicken/egg situation: Everybody is a noob the first time, right?

;->
Old 04-07-12, 09:08 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:

Not ironic in the slightest. For most, it depends on their budget. If they can do it, they will, if not they will just watercool the CPU and add the GPU in the loop whenever they can afford to

Old 04-07-12, 09:10 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
A guy has to have goals in life, no?

;->

I have garnered one piece of advice from this apparently ill-advised thread: Noob water-coolers should practice their first build on some crap hardware before trying to install a shower in an expensive rig.

It's the old chicken/egg situation: Everybody is a noob the first time, right?

;->
Why exactly should you go and fit water cooling in another system before your main rig? If you take your time and double check things, then leak test without any power going to your components except the pump then even if you get a small leak it shouldn't damage the stuff in your rig.

Well that is what I have been told by many people doing how to videos on youtube.

Edit: Oh look what I found:

Watch from 4 minutes.

Case: Cosmos 2 Cpu: 3930k @ 4.6 ghz Mobo: Sabertooth CoolerH100 with Sp120 Quiet ed Ram: 16GB Vengence Gpu: Gtx 680 Sli w/ EVGA Backplates Psu: Ax760 Hdd: 2TB seagate green Ssd: 120GB Corsair Force GT + 240GB Sandisk Extreme
Nr. #002
Old 04-07-12, 09:12 PM
OC3D Elite

It's pretty well accepted that your CPU is going to be the hottest part of a watercooled system. I fear you may need to check your definition of irony, sir.
Old 04-07-12, 09:14 PM
Banned

Im not a massive fan of watercooling tbh, the main reason for that being that I think it's just to expensive, however I think its a bit rude tbh to come onto an enthusiast site and blast watercooling.

P.s If if I had the monies then I would lover a nice loop
Old 04-07-12, 09:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

It's the old chicken/egg situation: Everybody is a noob the first time, right
Sure, your first post was ill-informed and felt a little aggressive over "teh interwebz" is all. We're here to help people get it right so don't feel like we're anti-noob or anything (it's exactly why we're here to help) we were just put a little on the defensive.

My first water cooling loop was put straight onto my PC - no using old equipment and I didn't have a single issue. Watercooling certainly has its advantages even for a higher inital outlay of mullah but the risk really isn't that great if you just spend a few moments to get some advice and build it carefully. The performance and silence is undoubtedly better if you want to go that way.

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)

Tags
air, cooling, irony, plumbing, water