Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 11-04-17, 08:59 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak View Post
So here are the results from HDtune by the way: http://imgur.com/a/dB9vp
Yeah it's on it's way out... You could try doing a complete hdd resurface, it has worked for me two times by now but you should replace the drive if you have the money to do so

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 11-04-17, 09:25 PM
OC3D Elite

I've seen worse..

There is a way to basically mark off the bad sectors and continue to use the drive. It will then know not to use those areas.

I would get any data off, then just use it for game installs or something which you can replace easily.

Old 11-04-17, 10:01 PM
OC3D Crew

Method:

Type cmd (Admin) into start. A CMD window will open.

Type "diskpart"and press Enter.

Type list disk and press Enter.

A list of all the storage devices connected to your computer will be displayed.

Type select disk "disk number" and press Enter. (Example: select disk 1).
e.g "select disk 1"

Type "clean" and press Enter. Do that two times

Type "create partition primary" and hit Enter.

Type "active".

Type "select partition 1".

Type format fs=ntfs and press Enter. The format process will finish in a few minutes. You can write fat32 instead of ntfs if you want to carry files larger than 4 gigabytes - usually for USB sticks etc.

This "fs=ntfs" command will take many hours so leave it over night and maybe the next day too - just until it completes. This is because its rewriting everything to 0.
Then once it reaches 100% type "exit" in cmd and open disk manager and select the drive and format as NTFS and click "quick format" and that's it.

Do that in DiskPart and see what happens.

Also the speed is inversely proportional to drive capacity so as the drive capacity increases, the speed of which it takes to format will decrease. So leave it overnight.

Then rerun HD tune and if you still have the bad sectors then do AlienALX method of marking off the disk errors.

Also is Windows installed on the bad drive itself? If so you will have to use another boot drive into windows to do this or use another PC but if its a secondary drive and lets say windows is installed on a SSD then do it
Old 11-04-17, 10:45 PM
OC3D Elite

I've always used my hard drives right up until they flat out died. You can usually tell, because they start making whining noises or clicking. If you back up regularly you shouldn't lose anything..

Somebody asked somewhere today (I can't find it, been working all day and now it's gone) why a hard drive would die. Every time I have ever lost a hard drive it's been down to one thing - heat. They were always poorly ventilated. It took me a while to figure it out, but the only three I have ever lost have been in tiny cases with no airflow. The hotter you allow the drive to get the more wear will go on the bearings etc. If you keep them cool they should last until they are worthless (too small).

Actually no, I did lose one by dropping it on my foot once. Two joys for the price of none. It wasn't even my drive either so I had to bloody replace it *fumes*.

Old 13-04-17, 01:41 PM

Tbh I would say a drive can be trusted for a few years. You say you bought it four years ago second hand. I would retreive what you can, secure erase, and recycle it at your local tip. SSD prices are falling. Time to make the change mate
Old 14-04-17, 07:02 PM

Thank you all very much for your advice!

I found a bargain on amazon so I've decided to replace it with an SSD and a new regular hard drive. I guess I can still use my current one for things that aren't so important, until it actually does fail

Tags
bluescreen, error, failure, hard drive