Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 14-07-16, 11:24 PM

Okay updates!

An email or two to Parvum later and they sent me the missing bits (for the most part!) Just missing the power button and a single cube to get the roof and side panel on. I'll drop them another email tomorrow at some point. Huge thanks to Parvum / Justin for sending them out so promptly! Hopefully they'll do the same for the final parts.

I've put together what I can, I'm really impressed. This thing dwarfs the Air 540 with ease.

I've also ordered some of the Noctua NF12 2000s, PWM of course. I'll be ordering the 360 rads next, even though they've gone up by £20 as a result of Brexit.
I'm sort of holding out on the fans, don't really fancy spending ~£330 on fans at £20 each, plus the Noctua Chromax to go along with all 15 of them in one hit.

I'll also be ordering some PWM extenders at some point for the two rads in the basement. I may be salvaging my NZXT Grid+, we'll see.
I've got 3 y-splitters (I'll order one more soon) to terminate them at one point for tidiness and synchronous speeds, I'll just need to make them reach my fan controller, or motherboard.

Also likely to get some fan grills / guards, just as I like the idea of going for something a little industrial, so I thought they'd be a nice touch. Also considered some cable coils, but I thought they looked a bit tacky in the end. Still undecided. Adding to the cost of fans even more. Great.

Furthermore, and finally, I realize the basement fan mounts are technically wrong, I have them this way as they'll be blowing outwards, and with where the case will be sitting, it'd likely be blowing warm air at me. As if I don't get toasty enough as is.

Old 18-07-16, 06:28 PM

Two of the fans and all of the red Chromax' have arrived.
I'm a fan of the fan guards (heh), so I think I'll order some more.

Just waiting on Parvum to ship me the final cube and power button before I can get the roof on and whatnot.
The EK PE 360mm rads are next on the list, just so I can get them installed and then put the panels on and leave them on, as the L1.0 has layers, which keeps it all tidy by hiding the screws and bolts underneath the black exterior acrylic layer. Then I'll focus on the interior, likely ordering the fans and cable setting.
Old 26-07-16, 07:15 PM

F i n a l l y

After emailing Parvum, then waiting, then emailing Parvum some more, I received no further responses or missing parts after my initial email.
I called up Overclockers again and they were able to sort me out another case which I stripped of missing parts.
I think someone needs to work on their packaging though, as this had a gaping hole in the bottom of the box which allowed some of the smaller items (in this instance, modding cubes) to fall out as I picked it up. Likely how my previous parts ended up missing.

Equipped with my power button, I have put the case together and I'm loving it.

Just waiting for payday to turn up as I don't fancy getting into ordering radiators and fans having spent ~£600 on cases'. Money for a rainy day and all.
Old 12-08-16, 12:00 PM

Talking

MANY CHANGES
So the last update consisted of putting the front 480mm radiator in, I've since been busy, so busy in fact that I've been delaying posting here. Credit where due: Total Warhammer.
I've ordered the radiators, and fans, and guards, and they have all arrived without a hitch:

I've now flushed all of the 360mm radiators of their flux and cleaned them all up, just with boiling water, rinse, shake, and repeat until the gunk stopped flowing out.
I've taken the time to swap out all of the fan anti-vibration pads with the new red ones, for all 15 fans, and put them on the radiators where I can:

In addition, I've mounted them in the case and installed the cold cathodes (white, as to not oversaturate everything in red):

I took to mounting the switch for the cathodes in the rear via a screw and bolt, as it comes in the form of a PCI plate, which was going to be super untidy if I were to have it in the front of the system:

So all in all, we're close.
There's not much left to do now really, I'll need finalise the position of things, flush out my 480mm radiator, do some cable management for the fans and splitters and extenders, then I'd say it's time to run the tubing and get the loop filled.
I have ran into a few clearance issues, however they're not prohibitive of me finishing.
I have also acquired some cable sleeving and heatshrink, though I need to invest into a little tool to do all the de-headding and whatnot, that'll all come at a much later date. I'm less concerned with the appearance of a few cables (which are likely to be tucked away) than I am with getting the main components sorted out and getting the system running.
Old 13-09-16, 06:28 PM

We done

So I realize that this is way overdue, but it's done, at last.
The parts mountain is at it's peak:

I sort of regret getting this block, I sort of feel like I should have went for a plain old acetal one, oh well. It can be replaced down the line:

I could have done better with the cable management, for sure, mainly just by grouping everything properly, but eh, there's no need for airflow in the rear (cheeky red tubing slip):

Getting to what you (might) want to see:

Ended up using around 2L of coolant:

All in all, I'm very pleased with the results. Temperatures are pretty great, can't wait to get a 1080 or something under water too:

Big thanks to everyone who contributed with ideas, feedback, and support towards this build! (Especially Griffen)..

Tags
liquid cooling, new build, project, red, water cooled