Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 10-07-16, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Wow, when did I gain legend status?

Shame your motherboard does not support overclocking on that CPU . ITX is best suited to intel ATM as they have the lowest power consumption.
You're the "News Guru"! I heard a lot of good things about you before coming here haha. Read a lot of your articles too! Cheers!

Also, yea ): Looks like i'll have to go Intel later *wallet cries* but thanks again all!!!

Old 10-07-16, 09:15 AM

Hey all, interesting note.

RobM noted that I should turn AMD Cool and Quiet off. I said that i like to keep it on to reduce power draw. I noted, however, that when it was on in the bios, windows kept the minimum CPU power to 100%.

I figured "this is weird, I want to save power" so i lowered it to 5% minimum and BAM. System will freeze NO matter what I do if I change the minimum CPU power lower than 100%. Weird huh? I tried stock everything, no OC on core, memory, or NB and still freezes.

So far, I'm running 100% all the time and some quick searching turns up that this only affects AMD users, notably the 860K series, and 8350 series..

Any tips? In the meantime, RIP power bill.
Old 10-07-16, 10:01 AM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxorinator View Post

I figured "this is weird, I want to save power" so i lowered it to 5% minimum and BAM. System will freeze NO matter what I do if I change the minimum CPU power lower than 100%. Weird huh? I tried stock everything, no OC on core, memory, or NB and still freezes.

So far, I'm running 100% all the time and some quick searching turns up that this only affects AMD users, notably the 860K series, and 8350 series..

Any tips? In the meantime, RIP power bill.

I think that the cpu power management of windows has to be supported by the cpus. I always have that setting in windows at 100% but AMD has Cool n Quiet which you can turn on or off in the BIOS and it works perfectly. Asus also has the EPU setting in the bios that also saves power (if the chip is at stock of course otherwise it causes BSODs)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 10-07-16, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

you will not save power and overclock m8 overclocking and increased power come hand in hand so you need to turn cool n quiet off and over clock or just leave things stock
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 10-07-16, 04:24 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
you will not save power and overclock m8 overclocking and increased power come hand in hand so you need to turn cool n quiet off and over clock or just leave things stock

I think that leaving cool n quiet on should work also when overclocked it just uses dynamic voltages and clocks depending on the cpu load. (at least that's what it does on my 8350)

In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 10-07-16, 06:25 PM
OC3D Elite

cool n quiet and C1E can affect your OC and sometimes prevent it reaching max.
The function basicly lowers the multiplier and voltage thus making overclock unstable so always wise to turn it off, since you want to increase cpu thus up voltage and multiplier
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 10-07-16, 08:04 PM

I figured it out (sigh). After 5 hours of changing one setting, benchmarking, freezing the computer, and sweat/blood I figured out what was wrong.

Again, coming from Intel and then moving to AMD, I always keep the power saving functions on to save power . Not only that, it keeps temps lower when Idle.

The problem was C1E in the bios. Did some research and it's function is to shut down cores if they're not in use unlike Cool n Quiet which lowers voltages and clock speeds.

It seems when the cores are "parked" (shut down) the system cannot wake them up/activate them. The voltage spikes to over 1.5v and the system crashes. This makes sense as the freezing only occurs when the cores are at idle ~1700Mhz and then I do a task that quickly raises them to ~3700 or OC ~4400.

Regardless, thank goodness it's solved. Running stable:
3.7Ghz Non OC, Turbo to 4.5Ghz (4.2Ghz on 4 cores IIRC)
Memory at 2133
NB @ 2Ghz
The system doesn't seem to throttle at the base 3.7Ghz

So thanks again all. I really appreciate the help here at OC3D. Looks like we killed two birds with one stone in the future if someone else has this issue!
Old 10-07-16, 08:23 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Cheers mate!

Old 10-07-16, 10:29 PM
OC3D Elite

glad your sorted
Old 25-07-16, 07:56 AM

Hey all. Just wanted to report last last final results. I admit, I'm a little ashamed that the fix was this "easy" and I can't believe I didn't read the details/spec sheet of my CPU cooler.

So, after some digging and comparing, I figured out the CPU cooler pre-installed was a GeminII (my brother got it).

Great right? I thought so, there was a high pressure fan on it and it looks really big from the top (thats where my case window is).

Finally read the spec sheet the other day and found it this CPU cooler is a 65W MAX TDP.. No.. Fricken..WAY. The 860K is 95W. No wonder when I OC the thing throttles like crazy. Looked a the base plate of the GeminII and its PUNY.

Bit the bullet and picked up a brand new AIO CPU cooler, an Enermax Liqtech II 240 for $50!!! (Reviews said it was > H100i) Installed it in pull to prevent dust build up.

On top of that, threw in another case fan near the VRMs and MOSFETS and BAM. I couldn't believe it.

4.5Ghz stable on ALL cores, temps never going above 55c with a thermal margin of 20c+, NO throttles, NO issues! DD

Computer is also super quiet now and idles temps show a thermal margin of 45c+

In short, I do still believe my VRMs were overheating but didn't realize my CPU was overheating even at stock speeds.

Thanks again all for all the input.

P.S. When I took off the GeminII, I could see a burn mark near the center of the CPU on the thermal paste. LOL

Tags
860k, amd, overclocking