Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 05-04-16, 06:02 AM
nabilishes nabilishes is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Corsair AX860 PCI-e cable 8pin to 2x6+2pin

Hey there,

I've a corsair AX860 power supply and plan to sleeve the cables myself.

Ive a question regarding the PCI-E cables connection to the Graphic card (using GTX980). The supplied PCIe cable from Corsair is a 8pin to a 2x 6+2pin
When i check the pin configuration of the 6+2pin to the 8 pin with a multimeter, both 6+2pin have different configurations but when powering the graphic card it is interchangeable.

I'm planning to separate this cable into a 8pin->6+2pin and will be using 2 of these cables to power my graphic cards. Is it okay to use same pin configurations for both cable according to one of the 2x6+2pin configurations?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-16, 10:34 PM
Grey_beard's Avatar
Grey_beard Grey_beard is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Corsair HQ
Posts: 1,076
Hey nabilishes,
Not sure if I'm understanding this right. But you want to split the 8pin to 2 x 6+2 connector?

If yes, why would you do that, If you can just use 1 PCI-E cable to power your 980? Your card requires 2 x 6pin right?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-16, 11:52 PM
JR23 JR23 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,215
If your making new wires from scratch then copy the pinout of the primary 6+2 PCIe so there is just one split wire. Because Corsair type 3 gen 2 shares the same PSU side pinout for both PCIe and CPU there isn't enough ground pins from the PSU.

It's likely they split the pigtail style connectors differently for each 6+2 so that one of the ground wires doesn't split into two and then two again. So instead they might split two ground wires into three. I haven't checked myself but you get the idea, they will have just done something cheap to evenly distribute the load between the 7 wires that eventually reach the PSU from a total of 16 pins.


Just copy the original single 6+2 PCIE from the AX860 cable kit, that should be the simplest and cleanest way to achieve what you want, however there will be multiple ways of doing it.

JR
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-16, 12:06 AM
nabilishes nabilishes is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_beard View Post
Hey nabilishes,
Not sure if I'm understanding this right. But you want to split the 8pin to 2 x 6+2 connector?

If yes, why would you do that, If you can just use 1 PCI-E cable to power your 980? Your card requires 2 x 6pin right?
Hi Grey_beard,

THe AX860 comes with a 8pin on the PSU and at the other end it splits into a 2x 6+2 connector (in 1 PCI_E Cable). What i am trying to do is to use, 2 separate PCI-E cables to the GPU instead of one PCI-e with the end split into two. This is only for aesthetic purposes as i dont like seeing the cable split into two at the GPU connector side

I'm using a ASUS 980 Strix card which requires 1 6+2pin and 1 6pin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-16, 01:38 AM
nabilishes nabilishes is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
If your making new wires from scratch then copy the pinout of the primary 6+2 PCIe so there is just one split wire. Because Corsair type 3 gen 2 shares the same PSU side pinout for both PCIe and CPU there isn't enough ground pins from the PSU.

It's likely they split the pigtail style connectors differently for each 6+2 so that one of the ground wires doesn't split into two and then two again. So instead they might split two ground wires into three. I haven't checked myself but you get the idea, they will have just done something cheap to evenly distribute the load between the 7 wires that eventually reach the PSU from a total of 16 pins.


Just copy the original single 6+2 PCIE from the AX860 cable kit, that should be the simplest and cleanest way to achieve what you want, however there will be multiple ways of doing it.

JR
The AX860 cable kit doesn't come with a single 6+2 PCIE cable. So what im doing now is create two single 6+2 PCIE cable based on the pinouts of the primary 2x6+2 PCIE cable from the kit (the first PCIE connector from the two split PCIE cable)

The description is a bit confusing. Maybe i will attach a picture or something later.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-16, 06:00 PM
Grey_beard's Avatar
Grey_beard Grey_beard is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Corsair HQ
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilishes View Post
Hi Grey_beard,

THe AX860 comes with a 8pin on the PSU and at the other end it splits into a 2x 6+2 connector (in 1 PCI_E Cable). What i am trying to do is to use, 2 separate PCI-E cables to the GPU instead of one PCI-e with the end split into two. This is only for aesthetic purposes as i dont like seeing the cable split into two at the GPU connector side

I'm using a ASUS 980 Strix card which requires 1 6+2pin and 1 6pin
Ah I see. You could probably use this as a a guide for the connector pin out if you really want to split the PCI-E cable. http://www.overclock.net/t/1420796/r...upply-pin-outs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-16, 06:08 PM
JR23 JR23 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilishes View Post
The AX860 cable kit doesn't come with a single 6+2 PCIE cable. So what im doing now is create two single 6+2 PCIE cable based on the pinouts of the primary 2x6+2 PCIE cable from the kit (the first PCIE connector from the two split PCIE cable)

The description is a bit confusing. Maybe i will attach a picture or something later.
I fully understand what your trying to do. The AX860 which I had was supplied with both single and double 6+2's, or maybe i'm confusing the stock cables for the sleeved corsair ones.

My point was that each connector won't necessarily have the same pinout as 5 wires are ground and 3 are +12v. So if one ground is swapped with another it doesn't actually matter hence there are several ways to make the same cable.

Because Corsair use common connectors at the PSU end for PCIe and CPU cables there are 4 ground and 4 +12v at the PSU end meaning one ground wire must split in half to get 5 ground wires at the GPU end.


Anyway look at the pinouts on OCN greybeard linked and go from there. All PSU's with type 3 style cables use the same 8-pin pinout. To my knowledge the 24-pin listed on OCN for the AX860 is incorrect. It should be identical instead to the Seasonic XP3 pinout. The XP3 PCIe/CPU pinout however is different, well, the same but upside down.

JR
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-04-16, 12:40 AM
nabilishes nabilishes is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
I fully understand what your trying to do. The AX860 which I had was supplied with both single and double 6+2's, or maybe i'm confusing the stock cables for the sleeved corsair ones.

My point was that each connector won't necessarily have the same pinout as 5 wires are ground and 3 are +12v. So if one ground is swapped with another it doesn't actually matter hence there are several ways to make the same cable.

Because Corsair use common connectors at the PSU end for PCIe and CPU cables there are 4 ground and 4 +12v at the PSU end meaning one ground wire must split in half to get 5 ground wires at the GPU end.


Anyway look at the pinouts on OCN greybeard linked and go from there. All PSU's with type 3 style cables use the same 8-pin pinout. To my knowledge the 24-pin listed on OCN for the AX860 is incorrect. It should be identical instead to the Seasonic XP3 pinout. The XP3 PCIe/CPU pinout however is different, well, the same but upside down.

JR
Finally sorted things out with the cable. Didnt have the time to update the posts here before this. I've done some googling i found out that on the device side they usually use a standard pinout for the +12V and ground lines. To make sure of this i took a multimeter and check connections of the split PCI-E cable supplied by corsair and made a pinout out of it. Although at the GPU end, both connector of the split PCIe cable have different pinouts (GPU1 to PSU pinouts is not the same as GPU2 to PSU pinouts) they share the same line for the +12V. The rest are ground lines.

Yes you are right the pinouts for corsair AX860 in the link given by GreyBeard is incorrect. I printed it out and test them with a multimeter on the original cable and boy they are wrong. In the end i created my own pinout layouts from the original cables. I thought of attaching the layouts here but couldn't upload attachments in this forum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2x6+2pin, ax860, corsair, pci-e

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.