Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 03-02-14, 10:00 AM

Quick update.

Replaced the SATA cable with a new one, but the problem still persists. Starting to think the drive may be faulty. How likely is it that a drive will just throw its hand in like that? i haven't really abused it or anything.

Old 03-02-14, 03:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Depends on how old the drive is. Should live for a fairly long time under normal circumstances though.

I'm assuming you're running the latest Sata and chipset drivers?

What motherboard are you using?

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 03-02-14, 03:51 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros1987 View Post
Quick update.

Replaced the SATA cable with a new one, but the problem still persists. Starting to think the drive may be faulty. How likely is it that a drive will just throw its hand in like that? i haven't really abused it or anything.
Have you tried a different SATA port?
What is your controller set to in the bios AHCI or IDE?
Did you manage to get a S.M.A.R.T read out?
Old 03-02-14, 09:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Quick update.

I find hard drive problems to be strictly luck of the draw. I managed to fry 6 HDDs in 6 months between work and home one year, ranging from less than 3 months old to several years old. I wasn't abusing mine either, very light usage. Hard to say what causes things like that.

Old 04-02-14, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Have you tried a different SATA port?
What is your controller set to in the bios AHCI or IDE?
Did you manage to get a S.M.A.R.T read out?
Apologies for late reply,

I will switch round the SATA port and give that a shot, something i didnt even consider. (note to self, be more methodical.)

Controller set to AHCI in BIOS, and S.M.A.R.T is also enabled within the BIOS, not sure if thats what you mean by read out, im still finding my way with this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I find hard drive problems to be strictly luck of the draw. I managed to fry 6 HDDs in 6 months between work and home one year, ranging from less than 3 months old to several years old. I wasn't abusing mine either, very light usage. Hard to say what causes things like that.
If the drive HAS taken a crap, can i just connect a new HDD while the old one is still alive, move everything over whole sale and then replace the drive with the fresh one as if nothing was different?

Sorry if thats a really obvious question.
Old 04-02-14, 10:21 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
If the drive HAS taken a crap, can i just connect a new HDD while the old one is still alive, move everything over whole sale and then replace the drive with the fresh one as if nothing was different?

If it's just your storage drive (D:\) sure thing swapping in a new one is no problem so long as it's formatted, only other thing you'll need to do is reinstall any programs that were already on it before other wise windows is going to look for programs that were there and aren't anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Damn 6 drives in 6 months! Wow never heard of anyone go through that many.
Old 04-02-14, 10:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

If the drive doesn't disappear while copying files, you'll get that done. As long as it isn't a boot drive of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Damn 6 drives in 6 months! Wow never heard of anyone go through that many.
Yeah I had the "nerd touch of death" for a while there. I finally started suspecting flaky power in my house, so I bought a UPS. Haven't had a dead drive since.

Old 07-02-14, 02:41 PM
OC3D Crew

made a mental note......DON'T lend Bartacus any HDD's
Main Rig-Intel i7 2600K @4.4Ghz-Gigabyte P67 UD7-Asus 6950 Direct cu11-16gig Mushkin 2133mhz Redline Ridgeback-Corsair AX860i-Corsair Obsidian 800D-Bitfenix/Noiseblocker Fans-Custom CPU water cooling loop.
Folding Rig- AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition-Corsair H100i-Asus Crosshair-EVGA GTX560Ti 448 core Classified-8gig Crucial Ballistix Tracer-Corsair AX850-Coolermaster Cosmos S-Corsair case fans.

Old 07-02-14, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

This isn't really going to help you much, but this was the first thing I could think of when I saw the thread title

Where's my plates? ):

AMD Sempron 2800+

Tags
drivers, hard drive, hdd, ssd