Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-08-19, 10:09 AM
News Guru

Microsoft's new Chromium-based Edge browser is now available in Beta

Need Chromium with less Google? Edge might be the answer.

Read more about Microsoft's Chromium-based Edge browser entering beta.

Old 21-08-19, 03:13 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Or just download Chromium and avoid both companies.

Used this MS a while ago. It was forced to use bing as the search engine. Awful... couldn't change it either.

Just stick to Chromium
Old 21-08-19, 08:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Or just download Chromium and avoid both companies.
Or even better Firefox.
Old 21-08-19, 08:25 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Or even better Firefox.
EW lol

Chromium is far superior my guy. Especially for Web Development using Chromium-based browsers is just easier. Better Dev tools and fantastic extensions to help with frameworks/libraries like React/Redux. That's why I stick to Chromium stuff.
For personal non development web use, I tried both. Like REALLY tried. Chrome was always faster and easier to use, plus used roughly the same amount of memory.

Although if you ever want the Chrome experience without using Chrome itself, either Brave or Chromium are great browsers. Love both. Or use Edge as it was good outside a few issues, but best bet to aviod any big tech company is either the Brave or Open Source Chromium
Old 21-08-19, 09:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
EW lol

Chromium is far superior my guy. Especially for Web Development using Chromium-based browsers is just easier. Better Dev tools and fantastic extensions to help with frameworks/libraries like React/Redux. That's why I stick to Chromium stuff.
For personal non development web use, I tried both. Like REALLY tried. Chrome was always faster and easier to use, plus used roughly the same amount of memory.

Although if you ever want the Chrome experience without using Chrome itself, either Brave or Chromium are great browsers. Love both. Or use Edge as it was good outside a few issues, but best bet to aviod any big tech company is either the Brave or Open Source Chromium
Well considering I don't use any of that myself, it's not really valid to me personally. After doing extensive research on browsers etc, Firefox came out as the winner when it comes to privacy. Brave is a also a good option, although personally didn't quite fit my cup of tea unfortunately.
Old 22-08-19, 03:18 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Well considering I don't use any of that myself, it's not really valid to me personally. After doing extensive research on browsers etc, Firefox came out as the winner when it comes to privacy. Brave is a also a good option, although personally didn't quite fit my cup of tea unfortunately.
I tend to use Firefox for similar reasons, however I do have one other concern:

I don't want Chromium to get to the point where Google can effectively "control" how the internet works with regards to standards. Chromium might be open source (and a great product), but it's still directed by Google, and thus anything that goes into it is still for the benefit of Google. The more browsers that are built on Chromium, and the more people use Chromium based browsers, the more power we give to Google to undermine non-Chromium browsers.

Now I admit that it's a pretty paranoid thought process, but the less we rely on Google, Microsoft, etc, the better in my opinion. I'm not saying boycott them and go completely FOSS (although it's a lovely utopian dream), but I can't help but be worried about how many people trust these companies with so many important aspects of their lives.
Old 22-08-19, 03:28 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiyus View Post
I tend to use Firefox for similar reasons, however I do have one other concern:

I don't want Chromium to get to the point where Google can effectively "control" how the internet works with regards to standards. Chromium might be open source (and a great product), but it's still directed by Google, and thus anything that goes into it is still for the benefit of Google. The more browsers that are built on Chromium, and the more people use Chromium based browsers, the more power we give to Google to undermine non-Chromium browsers.

Now I admit that it's a pretty paranoid thought process, but the less we rely on Google, Microsoft, etc, the better in my opinion. I'm not saying boycott them and go completely FOSS (although it's a lovely utopian dream), but I can't help but be worried about how many people trust these companies with so many important aspects of their lives.
Chromium is open source and you cannot just decide what goes into it. It has to get approved by the community. This is the reason it lacks features compared to Chrome itself.
Old 22-08-19, 03:39 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Chromium is open source and you cannot just decide what goes into it. It has to get approved by the community. This is the reason it lacks features compared to Chrome itself.
I'll do a bit more research then, and try to look at it with a more open minded attitude than I have in the past. It's just really hard to shake the fact that it's so closely related to Google.
Old 22-08-19, 05:20 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiyus View Post
I'll do a bit more research then, and try to look at it with a more open minded attitude than I have in the past. It's just really hard to shake the fact that it's so closely related to Google.
Well other browsers use it like Brave that are not nearly like Google in regards to privacy. So it's definitely safe, no back doors or anything.
Old 23-08-19, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Or even better Firefox.

Correct. MUCH more secure than that crap spyware named CHROME.

Firefox is the ONLY browser I use and the ONLY browser that I put on my computers I sell at my store. Chrome is banned.