Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-08-19, 09:22 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSK View Post
Let's be honest, AMD have just hired a full time team of Chinese hackers to keep finding back doors and exploits on Intel chips. It's all part of their master plan *insert sarcasm here
As sarcastic as it sounds. You know that is actually a valid and logical thing to do, in order to impact a rival technological competitor!

Many things can be found when you reverse engineer a product.

Old 08-08-19, 11:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
As sarcastic as it sounds. You know that is actually a valid and logical thing to do, in order to impact a rival technological competitor!

Many things can be found when you reverse engineer a product.
Very true.

I guess there's nothing illegal about looking for flaws in your competitor's product and the positive PR it creates for AMD is a big win.
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 3800X, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
Old 08-08-19, 11:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSK View Post
Very true.

I guess there's nothing illegal about looking for flaws in your competitor's product and the positive PR it creates for AMD is a big win.
It could blow back on them if it ever got out it was them finding these things and putting them out in public space for others to abuse
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 08-08-19, 02:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
It could blow back on them if it ever got out it was them finding these things and putting them out in public space for others to abuse
I believe there is a clause that allows AMD to be as public as they want, if Intel have not resolved the issues after XX days from the point of being notified discreetly.
Old 09-08-19, 04:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I believe there is a clause that allows AMD to be as public as they want, if Intel have not resolved the issues after XX days from the point of being notified discreetly.
They could always claim that they weren’t notified though and how would someone prove otherwise really? It’s words against words.
Old 09-08-19, 10:27 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
They could always claim that they weren’t notified though and how would someone prove otherwise really? It’s words against words.
Emails, snail mail, skype calls, server logs, mail exchange, etc theres evidence everywhere. Whatsapp and messenger are a little more difficult, but when things are done officially there is no escape. You cannot deceive anyone.

I could prove every phonecall, timestamp, call duration, sms ("sms content if i wanted to break GDPR"), MMS, if just one of the phone numbers belonged to my network.
Old 09-08-19, 10:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Grace periods are entirely at the revealing parties discretion, many consider it unethical to release the info before a patch is available but there's nothing against it legally, which is why Google and Microsoft so often have these tit for tat arguments when they find each others bugs(Happens a lot on the web side esp now Edge is moving to Chrmoium) about whether Google's hard 90 day grace period(To push companies to react to medium threats quickly) is ethical compared to Microsoft's "Release public info after patch approach"(Which some argue doesn't incentivise a company to push a patch quickly). Basically the public vs non public disclosure thing is an active ethical debate and both are generally seen as quite valid approaches as long as you at least give them 14 days.

If it were AMD finding these security patches they'd be doing it publicly though. There's absolutely nothing for them to worry about on their side and it would show a high level of competence at routing these issues out. It's not though, they're all revealed by large, respected cybersecurity firms who are giving Intel huge grace periods including in this case and will be getting paid megabucks from Intel as a bounty for the bug.
Old 09-08-19, 11:09 AM
News Guru

TBH, AMD doesn't have the money to waste on trying to find flaws with Intel CPUs directly. That engineering time would be better spent on their own products.

AMD has the advantage of having little market share. Nobody is looking at AMD's products in the same way they are looking at Intel's. Intel vulnerabilities affect everyone, AMD vulnerabilities impact almost nobody by comparison.

AMD doesn't need to spend money looking for Intel vulnerabilities because everyone is already focusing on Intel. Security researchers are already doing a great job making Intel look bad, so AMD doesn't need to work on that. They are better working on their own stuff.
Old 09-08-19, 11:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
TBH, AMD doesn't have the money to waste on trying to find flaws with Intel CPUs directly. That engineering time would be better spent on their own products.

AMD has the advantage of having little market share. Nobody is looking at AMD's products in the same way they are looking at Intel's. Intel vulnerabilities affect everyone, AMD vulnerabilities impact almost nobody by comparison.

AMD doesn't need to spend money looking for Intel vulnerabilities because everyone is already focusing on Intel. Security researchers are already doing a great job making Intel look bad, so AMD doesn't need to work on that. They are better working on their own stuff.
Well said!