Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 06-09-17, 01:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Liquid no (sensors mean clutter) but the CPU max was 70 and the GPU's never saw 50
Damn, those numbers are far too warm for my liking, personal preference and all that. I imagine Threadripper will be far worse too, considering the heat output if OCed. I wouldn't go less than 3 GOOD rads for a TR rig with dual GPUs. If it were my rig, it would be five! 16 overclocked cores is mighty toasty.

Old 06-09-17, 01:56 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Damn, those numbers are far too warm for my liking, personal preference and all that. I imagine Threadripper will be far worse too, considering the heat output if OCed. I wouldn't go less than 3 GOOD rads for a TR rig with dual GPUs. If it were my rig, it would be five! 16 overclocked cores is mighty toasty.

Air cooler can keep TR to 70's

I built mine to be uttery silent (and it was) despite running on the ragged edge

Orca was in use daily for 4 years and never skipped a beat

CPU's are never 'cool' no matter what youre cooling them with if youre runninng a huge amount of volts. Ive tried multi rads in the past - lets face it Ive got most kit just available here to grab for reviews. Not really a massive point in it.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 06-09-17, 02:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Stock or OCed though? I'm hearing TR is tough to keep cool when OCed (as expected, it's 16 freaking cores). Rad overkill sounds justified in this case.

P.S. there's no massive point in anything we nerds do Tom. I just enjoy seeing a pair of 1080TI's OCed to 2075 / 6005 top out at 37C under full load. Rad overkill is my thing, silence is yours. I just think that rad overkill is a good thing in this TR case, especially for OCers. I'm sure it's fine stock, just like my Ryzen is, but we're not hanging out at OC3D because we like stock now are we.

Old 10-09-17, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Still dont need that many rads dude. If its filling the case fine but just make sure its tidy and the hose is kept very clean
I've had the rads in this case for a while now, I built it to be a case that lasts a few systems.
Its a little devil V10 case so if you didn't have 3 big rads in it, it would look empty.
It is extremely tidy for a big case. (Well since I switched over to Threadripper last night in a hurry, tubing/cabling needs a small bit of work). My 1080's are on order so until then I just put the system together quickly.
I set up the 1950x last night and switched over from a 5820k, I thought I could get away with it for a night without reinstalling (After loads of headaches/micro stutters in games) I finally wiped the OS. I had 5 mates over for a gaming night so didn't want to have to wipe in the middle of a gaming night.
A couple of issues I found was horrible stability and the cpu was idling at 65 and going up to 75 degree's. I was thinking did I mess up the block mount. (checked with a thermal probe and showed fine).
Turns out their is a bug in the original bios and when I updated to the latest bios the system showed 25-35 idle and 45 under load and all the stability issues where resolved.
The little fan is like a jet engine and was constantly on with the bios bug, its now permanently off since the update.
Old 13-09-17, 11:58 PM

Mike Irish & AMD 1950X

I have the ASUS X99II Deluxe and the intel 6850K and have had nothing bet problems. I have changed out the bard and CPU twice and still the same. I am now running it at 37 Ghz on all cores. I also have eight 8Gb sticks of G Skills trident Z memory and cannot get it to run any more that 2800! I use Lightroom Photoshop and some other photo processing programs. I have found that lightroom is very memory intensive.
I am now thinking to move over to AMD Tread ripper 1950x. Sorry I forgot to mention that I am using the Corsair H 100 280mm cooler. I was also thinking of using the ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME X399 Gaming Motherboard with it. Could you please give me your feeling on thes please.
Mike