Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 07-09-16, 11:48 AM

New build advice

I'm looking to purchase a new Mobo, Ram & some cooling. I've already purchased a i7 6700k.

The following I'm looking at is Z170x gaming 7 & I'm undecided on RAM but will spend up to £100. I also would need some cooling as I'm currently running a Bequiet dark edition and it's large and unattractive.

I want to go with something watercooled potentially but I have an r9 295x2 GPU which has its own watercooling reducing space for mounting of fans. The case I have is a Corsair obsidian 750D.

Could I have some opinions from you guys to what you think would be a good build.

I have a remaining budget of around £350 for Motherboard, Ram and Cooling. I'm more or less set on getting the Z170x gaming 7 mobo which will take £180 from that figure.

Lastly, opinions on the r295x2 would be greatly appreciated. I've had the card since June 2014 and don't know whether it would be worth changing in the near future as they card is just massive.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-16, 04:04 PM

Original OP....
I'm looking to purchase a new Mobo, Ram & some cooling. I've already purchased a i7 6700k.

The following I'm looking at is Z170x gaming 7 & I'm undecided on RAM but will spend up to £100. I also would need some cooling as I'm currently running a Bequiet dark edition and it's large and unattractive.

I want to go with something watercooled potentially but I have an r9 295x2 GPU which has its own watercooling reducing space for mounting of fans. The case I have is a Corsair obsidian 750D.
What space do you have for a water cooled aio? 120,140,240 or 280mm. Then I/we could offer a suitable solution. Imo anything by Corsair would ok.

Could I have some opinions from you guys to what you think would be a good build.
What you like like and what is capable & suitable for your needs is the most important thing to consider.

I have a remaining budget of around £350 for Motherboard, Ram and Cooling. I'm more or less set on getting the Z170x gaming 7 mobo which will take £180 from that figure.
2x 8gb (16gb) Corsair lpx 3000 ram <£80 what's left buys the aio.

Lastly, opinions on the r295x2 would be greatly appreciated. I've had the card since June 2014 and don't know whether it would be worth changing in the near future as they card is just massive.
Best answer I can give is, are you getting the details & fps in the games you like playing?

Thanks in advance.
I7 6700k @ 4.6-1.27v / Asus Pro / evga 980ti FTW / RMI 650 / 2 x Samsung EVO 850 / Corsair H115I aio / 2 x Corsair 8gb DDR4 lpx 3000 / NZXT S340 / Corsair Strafe rgb Browns / too many mice, Zowie fk2 mainly / Corsair H1500 headphones/ Asus PG279Q
Old 07-09-16, 06:26 PM

Talking

Hopefully this will give you a little more insight Also, thanks for the prompt reply.

Original OP....

What space do you have for a water cooled aio? 120,140,240 or 280mm. Then I/we could offer a suitable solution. Imo anything by Corsair would ok.I'd be able to fit a cooler with 140mm by potentially attaching to the roof of the case which would leave room beside this for the cooler from the GPU.

What you like like and what is capable & suitable for your needs is the most important thing to consider.I'm primarly looking for a decent performing gaming rig, I have issues with my r295x2 dropping frames etc and i don't know if I'm getting full performance from the card.

Best answer I can give is, are you getting the details & fps in the games you like playing?I am getting details and FPS but apart from Deus Ex Human Mankind, I seem to struggle to get any FPS with the settings on medium. Current setup is a i7 4770k, Geil Black dragon 1600 2 x4gb, r295x2 GPU. I thought future proofing by upgrading now would be ideal and was unsure if the GPU could be bottlenecked in the current setup. I play a lot of FPS games but am currently getting back into WoW.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-16, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4nny5 View Post
Hopefully this will give you a little more insight Also, thanks for the prompt reply.

Original OP....

What space do you have for a water cooled aio? 120,140,240 or 280mm. Then I/we could offer a suitable solution. Imo anything by Corsair would ok.I'd be able to fit a cooler with 140mm by potentially attaching to the roof of the case which would leave room beside this for the cooler from the GPU.

What you like like and what is capable & suitable for your needs is the most important thing to consider.I'm primarly looking for a decent performing gaming rig, I have issues with my r295x2 dropping frames etc and i don't know if I'm getting full performance from the card.

Best answer I can give is, are you getting the details & fps in the games you like playing?I am getting details and FPS but apart from Deus Ex Human Mankind, I seem to struggle to get any FPS with the settings on medium. Current setup is a i7 4770k, Geil Black dragon 1600 2 x4gb, r295x2 GPU. I thought future proofing by upgrading now would be ideal and was unsure if the GPU could be bottlenecked in the current setup. I play a lot of FPS games but am currently getting back into WoW.

Thanks in advance.
Ok, let's keep it simple. You've already bought a great cpu, you've made your mind up on a mobo, you now know what size aio you can install and seems you will choose 16gb ram.
Deus Ex Mankind, Requires a recommended 16gb ram along with Windows 10 64bit. So when you put all your new gear together, then let us know how you get on

Edit: what psu will you be using as a matter of interest?
I7 6700k @ 4.6-1.27v / Asus Pro / evga 980ti FTW / RMI 650 / 2 x Samsung EVO 850 / Corsair H115I aio / 2 x Corsair 8gb DDR4 lpx 3000 / NZXT S340 / Corsair Strafe rgb Browns / too many mice, Zowie fk2 mainly / Corsair H1500 headphones/ Asus PG279Q
Old 07-09-16, 08:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

To help stop this wall of text, I'd recommend you look at this link
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showpos...89&postcount=1

Use this format and reply to it. It'll keep everything neat and clear for anyone trying to help. People will more likely help if they don't have to read large uncondensed paragraphs

If you have any questions outside of what you want to buy and more advice, feel free to ask too.
Old 08-09-16, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
To help stop this wall of text, I'd recommend you look at this link
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showpos...89&postcount=1

Use this format and reply to it. It'll keep everything neat and clear for anyone trying to help. People will more likely help if they don't have to read large uncondensed paragraphs

If you have any questions outside of what you want to buy and more advice, feel free to ask too.
Your right, it was lazy of me as I used my phone