Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 12-01-08, 02:40 AM
Advanced Member

1TB and partitioning

hi,

i've been searching in google for a while......but still dont have a clue in what are the downside to what im planning to do....

here is the HDD list:- (currently in use)

36GB Raptor - OS drive

250GB Samsung - storage, apps, games etc etc

-------

i was thinking.....i'll buy ONE 1TB Samsung F1, and partition 10GB out for OS, and the rest as storage.

e.g.

C: - 10GB - install OS

D: - 990GB - for apps, games etc etc

what would be the biggest downside to my idea? and what sorts of impact it would have in loading/writing speed compare to my current setup?

thanks...

Old 12-01-08, 09:44 AM
OC3D Elite

I see no problem in it... maybe a little more space for the OS.

I have done it with my HD, I admit it isn't 1TB but I have split a 320GB into one 40 and one 280.

Works perfect.

When you partition that drive allocates a read wright head to the space you have made.. so you shouldn't loads much performance.. maybe none.

But remember the drive maybe slow compared to the Raptor. Maybe keep the raptor as OS drive and leave the 1TB alone.

Old 12-01-08, 10:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Personally I'd keep the Raptor for the OS and leave the 1tb drive as it is, as Tox said.

BTW partitioning doesn't have any effect on performance (either positive or negative). The disk is still physically the same.
Old 12-01-08, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Toxcity'

When you partition that drive allocates a read wright head to the space you have made.. so you shouldn't loads much performance.. maybe none.

how do i allocate the read write head?

sorry.....i really have no idea in HDDs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Personally I'd keep the Raptor for the OS and leave the 1tb drive as it is, as Tox said.

BTW partitioning doesn't have any effect on performance (either positive or negative). The disk is still physically the same.
ahhh......but in theory, if 1 HDD is split into 2, does that not mean the 'head'(is it called head??) have to do twice as much? like....going back and forth in between the 2 part?

and....thanks for the advice, the idea of using a 1TB drive is mainly for cable management really.....

thanks!
Old 12-01-08, 05:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='weihk'
how do i allocate the read write head?

sorry.....i really have no idea in HDDs....

ahhh......but in theory, if 1 HDD is split into 2, does that not mean the 'head'(is it called head??) have to do twice as much? like....going back and forth in between the 2 part?

and....thanks for the advice, the idea of using a 1TB drive is mainly for cable management really.....

thanks!
I can't be 100% certain, but I really think there is no difference as the writing of data to the hard disk isn't really sequential anyway. So you can have some data at the beginning of the disk and some at the end regardless of where the partition is.

Think of two partitions more as two folders on a hard disk, rather than a physical separation.

Someone feel free to correct me tho..