Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 29-01-08, 10:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Fan controller to control more than 4 fans?

Basically i've got 5 out of 11 fans running at full speed on my case (4 i cant even get going cause their cables are too short to reach a fan header which works/at all. Dont ask me why but the 2 headers near my exhaust fans dont even power the fans at all =/

The two intake on the front work cause they are hooked up to the case (nifty lian li feature). My 2 side intake are working full as i have them fitted to fully operational headers. 1/3 rad fans are on full cause i hooked it up to the cpu header. The other two are running slower (slow enough to see them moving) as im running them off 3 pin -> power molex connectors. 2 of the 4 exhaust fans are hooked up to the closest headers to them (which for some reason...do nothing) and the other two exhaust are too high up to even reach a header.

Im after a fan controller that can support quite a few fans. Obviously as i free up headers i can swap and change the fans around. Any ideas?

Old 29-01-08, 10:32 AM
OC3D Elite

just get two fan controlers?

its what i did

not only does it solve this problem

it also looks funky, having loads of dials on the front of your case

sunbeam make nice ones
Old 29-01-08, 10:33 AM
OC3D Elite

There is a limited one here:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=21287

.. and if u look further down this list, it can get a bit more technical:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...3b4b57e2140ee0

I know it`s a US site, but if it`s something like AC stuff ur after, the likes of the forum shops may be able to source them.

Old 29-01-08, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

a bit better? http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...cat=108&page=1

i dont know why but when the fans are hooked up to my molex (silenx fans) it doesnt power them to as much speed as the cpu fan header. ^ theoretically that will pretty much get the fans up to full speed if i want them to?
Old 29-01-08, 10:56 AM
OC3D Elite

two of them would do ya ok

and you can get molex to 3 pin connectors and have your molex fans to 3 pin connectors, i also hooked up my CCFL's to them and had them running through a fan controler too

just another idea if you have CCFL's that is
Old 29-01-08, 11:04 AM
OC3D Elite

I already have a switch for ccfl

The only gripe is that when hooked up to molex via a 3 pin converter (already have 2) they dont seem to run at full speed ???

I dont think the converter cables have been volt modded (is there a way of checking?)
Old 29-01-08, 11:13 AM
OC3D Elite

but if you hook them up to a fan controler, then you can vary the intensity of how bright they are

and tbh, hooking things upto a fan controler should fix it, it SHOULD come with its own cables, use those, as they wont be volt modded

and i guess that your plugging those 3 pin headers into the motherboard, which is probably automatically varying the voltage depending on what it thinks is best...not good, fan controlers put you back in control
Old 29-01-08, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cata...roducts_id=752

and a few fan cable extension

cheap and cheerfull

i just got one last week from Rob, small and useful.

or, go for expensive route, BigNG, i run 6 fans all on auto mode from it, speed rise and fall depending on what the water temp is.
Old 29-01-08, 12:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='mrapoc'
a bit better? http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...cat=108&page=1

i dont know why but when the fans are hooked up to my molex (silenx fans) it doesnt power them to as much speed as the cpu fan header. ^ theoretically that will pretty much get the fans up to full speed if i want them to?
I bought the 6 channel Zalman a few weeks back.. Solid build and control 6 fans... Nothing fancy to it but for more then 3 or 4 fans it will do the job perfectly well.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit