Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 25-09-20, 08:03 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
If I remember Gigabyte leaked photo, the 3070 sits between the 2080ti and the 2080S.

So for a 1080ti user or lower, its still a good deal providing it holds its MRRP. Otherwise, AMD are smiling and rubbing their hands!
But Nvidia said specifically it matches a 2080ti?

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 25-09-20, 08:11 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
But Nvidia said specifically it matches a 2080ti?
ah fair enough then. I just saw how Gigabyte laid out the cards in the ladder.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 25-09-20, 08:18 PM
KingNosser KingNosser is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 421
It's simple really the 3080 was not twice the performance of the 2080 and so the 3070 will not beat a 2080ti it's marketing, doesn't mean they are bad cards just that nvidia are telling porkies
__________________
https://forum.overclock3d.net/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic20429_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26-09-20, 11:17 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
If I remember Gigabyte leaked photo, the 3070 sits between the 2080ti and the 2080S.

So for a 1080ti user or lower, its still a good deal providing it holds its MRRP. Otherwise, AMD are smiling and rubbing their hands!
If you own a 1080Ti you would want a 3080.

I reckon the 3070 will be about as fast as a 2080 Super. Meaning it's not much of an upgrade from a 1080Ti, given the 1080Ti is as fast as a 2080.

Unless of course you are sold on RT, which is not a great reason to buy a GPU.

It will never be as fast as a 2080Ti, in the same way the 3080 was never twice as fast as a 2080 and all of the other crap they have said. Just like how the 3090 is a 8k gaming card. Yeah, right.
__________________


If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 27-09-20, 02:00 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
If you own a 1080Ti you would want a 3080.

I reckon the 3070 will be about as fast as a 2080 Super. Meaning it's not much of an upgrade from a 1080Ti, given the 1080Ti is as fast as a 2080.

Unless of course you are sold on RT, which is not a great reason to buy a GPU.

It will never be as fast as a 2080Ti, in the same way the 3080 was never twice as fast as a 2080 and all of the other crap they have said. Just like how the 3090 is a 8k gaming card. Yeah, right.
Nvidia seem to be aiming the 3060 at the original 2080. And seeing as the 3060Ti is set to be released, that hardly puts the 3070 at 2080 Super performance. My guess is, based on what we've seen so far, the 3060 will offer 2080-like performance, the 3060Ti will offer 2080 Super-like performance and the 3070 will offer 2080Ti-like performance, all give or take a few percent.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 27-09-20, 02:44 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Nvidia seem to be aiming the 3060 at the original 2080. And seeing as the 3060Ti is set to be released, that hardly puts the 3070 at 2080 Super performance. My guess is, based on what we've seen so far, the 3060 will offer 2080-like performance, the 3060Ti will offer 2080 Super-like performance and the 3070 will offer 2080Ti-like performance, all give or take a few percent.
In both Gigabyte and Galax, was it? stack they show the 3070 below the 2080Ti.

Nvidia need to be careful here. If they release something as fast as a 2080Ti with any overclocking headroom in it it would damage their 3080 sales. Mostly because 3080 seems to be specifically a 4k card, where as the 3070 can cater to absolutely anything below that with ease.

That is why the 2080 Super never managed to get within 15% of the 2080Ti. As they knew it would completely kill 2080Ti sales. So in ways it was kinda like the 3080 vs the 3090. Who is going to pay £600 more for 10%? very few.

I just don't see the 3070 beating the 2080Ti. I just don't. Maybe in RT and DLSS it will be as good or a hair faster but in rasterization I think the 2080Ti is going to kick its ass.

Time will obviously tell. I am hopeful AMD can be competitive in that area also, and not put all of their chips on the 21.
__________________


If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 28-09-20, 08:07 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
In both Gigabyte and Galax, was it? stack they show the 3070 below the 2080Ti.

Nvidia need to be careful here. If they release something as fast as a 2080Ti with any overclocking headroom in it it would damage their 3080 sales. Mostly because 3080 seems to be specifically a 4k card, where as the 3070 can cater to absolutely anything below that with ease.

That is why the 2080 Super never managed to get within 15% of the 2080Ti. As they knew it would completely kill 2080Ti sales. So in ways it was kinda like the 3080 vs the 3090. Who is going to pay £600 more for 10%? very few.

I just don't see the 3070 beating the 2080Ti. I just don't. Maybe in RT and DLSS it will be as good or a hair faster but in rasterization I think the 2080Ti is going to kick its ass.

Time will obviously tell. I am hopeful AMD can be competitive in that area also, and not put all of their chips on the 21.
The 3070 being slightly behind the 2080Ti makes sense, but I think it'll be in that ballpark. The 3060, 3060Ti, and 3070 could all be spaced between the 2080 and 2080Ti in some way, shape, or form.

I don't think the 3070 will be able to overclock very far if the 3080 and 3090 are anything to go by, but I could be wrong.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.