Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 24-08-15, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Everything looks great so far dude kudos to you on the photography.

Although you may want to reconsider this.

That looks like far too much paste, if you want smooth precise application of TIM I suggest either the "pea" method or use your finger wrapped in Clingfilm (seran wrap) and spread it evenly and thinly.
I think that I might reduce the amount of Thermal paste used. I was thinking it was a lot. But I was following this:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...echniques-170/

However, I think I am going to try your method... Have you noticed any thermal difference between using this vs the other methods? (Pea sized)

Old 24-08-15, 03:35 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pokemon kid View Post
I think that I might reduce the amount of Thermal paste used. I was thinking it was a lot. But I was following this:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...echniques-170/

However, I think I am going to try your method... Have you noticed any thermal difference between using this vs the other methods? (Pea sized)
I get much better results with the spread method, so long as it is thinly spread and evenly coated. The reason I went for that method was simply by looking at the OEM coolers that come pre-pasted, I've pasted this way for the last 5 years and while it's only maybe 1 - 2C difference compared to the pea method, I have noticed that when you move from 100% load to Idle, the temps fall much smoother.

Prior to getting the i5 4440 I had the G3258 overclocked to 4.6Ghz on 1.25v and at 100% load rarely ever went above 36C, with the Corsair H100i in balanced mode.
Old 24-08-15, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I get much better results with the spread method, so long as it is thinly spread and evenly coated. The reason I went for that method was simply by looking at the OEM coolers that come pre-pasted, I've pasted this way for the last 5 years and while it's only maybe 1 - 2C difference compared to the pea method, I have noticed that when you move from 100% load to Idle, the temps fall much smoother.

Prior to getting the i5 4440 I had the G3258 overclocked to 4.6Ghz on 1.25v and at 100% load rarely ever went above 36C, with the Corsair H100i in balanced mode.
Interesting, I have actually got the CPU in a temporary loop making sure I haven't bricked everything so I will pull it up later to give it a little test!

The temps are currently at 31C idle and about 45C after 30 minutes of Prime95...

I do want the Idle temps down a bit...
Old 24-08-15, 04:09 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Everything looks great so far dude kudos to you on the photography.

Although you may want to reconsider this.

That looks like far too much paste, if you want smooth precise application of TIM I suggest either the "pea" method or use your finger wrapped in Clingfilm (seran wrap) and spread it evenly and thinly.

Oh my goodness, I wouldn't suggest EITHER ONE OF THOSE METHODS?! What a waste!

EDIT:

I've also gone through and removed all the Flick link spam from under your photos, please make sure you don't include that in your future posts. There's really no need for it to be there

Thanks
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 24-08-15, 04:14 PM
Bettyswollocks

Each to their own SuB, I can confirm there is little waste in my applications, it looks a lot but it's honestly not and I have tonnes of paste (bulk buys).
Old 24-08-15, 04:20 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Each to their own SuB, I can confirm there is little waste in my applications, it looks a lot but it's honestly not and I have tonnes of paste (bulk buys).
It's not so much the waste of paste, the amount is.. borderline okay, but it's still quite a bit, you should but absolutely as little on as you possibly can, like a super thin film

But yeah, your method is 1000x better than that honking great cross on that chip lol

Also, I've gone through again and just removed links on the images.

Please just use the img url wrapped in [img] tags in future, there's really no need to put 3 links to every photo in a post like this.

Thanks
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 24-08-15, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Oh my goodness, I wouldn't suggest EITHER ONE OF THOSE METHODS?! What a waste!

EDIT:

I've also gone through and removed all the Flick link spam from under your photos, please make sure you don't include that in your future posts. There's really no need for it to be there

Thanks
I was just following what puget said was best to do. but I will try using the spread method with very little thermal paste!

Flickr provides the BB code which I have used with the links to get to my flickr account, I will use the direct link to the image instead. I used the BB code as I have had quite a few people who then go on to following me of Flickr/ looking at my previous builds via the Flickr links.
Old 24-08-15, 04:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Personally I prefer the "small pea" method my self

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 24-08-15, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Personally I prefer the "small pea" method my self
Im going to give the spread method a try out and see how that goes, from what I understand/ read, the line method/ cross method is the best for 2011 processors. However the dot/ pea method is the best for smaller processors like the 115x series.
Old 24-08-15, 07:18 PM
OC3D Elite

The die on the Halsell-E processors is pretty much a square, and is roughly quarter the size of the IHS. So imagine your IHS divided into sixteen squares, you want an X of paste on the central four squares.

Cue the bad MS Paint diagramme...

Any more than this is a waste.

Tags
caselabs, gtx 980 ti, intel 5930k, watercooling, x99