Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Platforms - Other

Old 01-12-16, 11:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Iphone 5 and onward works with VR too. Needs to be at least 1080p though, and ideally 1440p. Remember it splits in half, so you get half per eye. Expect the phone to get hot and battery life to suck too.
I own an iPhone 6 atm

Old 02-12-16, 08:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
I own an iPhone 6 atm
iphone has some VR capabilities, after all its only through clever usage of a gyroscope. And considering how accurate their cute little spirit level is on the iphone, it does make you wonder why they havent pushed this further. The tech is there for them, but it seems they prefer sending out new derivatives of phones with very little changes.
Old 02-12-16, 12:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Apple have been hiring vr experts like mad, and now that Google have fully launched their vr offering with Pixel and Daydream you can expect to see iVR very soon.
Old 02-12-16, 02:03 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva2004 View Post
[...]you can expect to see iVR very soon.
Which will of course require a dongle, have no 3.5mm audio jack, and won't come with the necessary adapter to make it work with any existing display outputs for HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort, and probably only have a single USB-C port that requires a 3 way splitter to do anything of value.

It will cost 4 times the price of anything else on the market, and be machined from a single billet of aluminium and come with a 30 minute launch speech from Jony Ives on how much they innovated, how this is the 'Best VR Experience... ever made'

It will come in a non-descript, canvas covered white box with a black Apple logo on it that when you look at it with the iVR will show a 3D representation of the Apple logo, sliced into the original rainbow colours, that you can interact with in the virtual world to make the logo.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 02-12-16, 04:38 PM
OC3D Elite

It's almost like you work for Apple, that's so spookily accurate.
Old 02-12-16, 04:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva2004 View Post
It's almost like you work for Apple, that's so spookily accurate.
He does, in secret
Old 11-12-16, 10:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Just ordered my VR button/remote. I am thinking of retiring my Android phone into the VR headset and going back to my Blackberry. Nearly a year in and I still can't stand stabbing a glass screen to type.

My wife has been getting on my back recently for watching TV in bed too late. So I will just use the headset for that I think.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 02-03-17, 04:45 PM
OC3D Elite

So basically VR on my phone was a bust for a few reasons. Firstly it got too hot and throttled very quickly. Secondly getting the phone clean enough so that I didn't have specs/smudges in front of me was incredibly difficult and I did not have a USB cable long enough to make it viable.

Also, the remote I bought was just as crap as the controllers I tried. None of them would trigger. It also refused to allow me to calibrate it so that I could lie on my back and watch movies for example. I had to sit bolt upright, really annoying.

So I gave up on that.

Then today I was looking at a Deepoon E2 which apparently is a reasonably decent VR headset. However, it costs over £200 and comes with some pretty severe caveats.

Then I found out that for some reason there is a flood of DK2 kits on Ebay for around £160. Like loads of them, seems some one had a clearout. Brand new with the motion camera etc.

I chucked in an offer of £140 expecting it to be refused but to my delight it was accepted.

Desperately trying to keep my desk tidy I got this.

So yeah, I'm ready. I will report back once it's all set up and give my opinions etc

Old 03-03-17, 09:19 PM
OC3D Elite

It's amazing. It really is.