Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 09-01-17, 07:37 AM

I am wondering how in the hell you get a stable 5.0 overclock at 1.3v. I was only able to get a stable overclock at 1.4. This produced unacceptible temperatures in the low 90s with my h100i when testing with realbench. I was able to get a 4.9 at about 1.35v and my fan still has trouble keeping the heat away from the 80s. I tried a 4.8 and it is still unstable at 1.275. I feel like I have been cheated, like I have gotten the worst chip for overclocking in the world. I see all of these reviews that show great overclocks and mine is stuck below average.

It is very sad when I play a CPU bound game like Battlefield one. I play at 120fps. When I overclock to 4.9 I can see values of 99% GPU utilization in my gtx 1080 often and the fps is quite steady and sometimes dips into the 90s. However at stock speeds the 99% value sparce and you have to watch the value for 10 seconds to see the 99% value. Now the fps drops to the 80s or even 70s resulting in large framerate swings.

It is so frustrating! At 4.9 or 5.0 I experience either game instability which happens every one to two hours or I get overheating issues where the temperatures go into the low 90s!!!

I don't know what to do. Perhaps I need to learn to delid my processor...

Old 09-01-17, 07:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymom2 View Post
I am wondering how in the hell you get a stable 5.0 overclock at 1.3v. I was only able to get a stable overclock at 1.4. This produced unacceptible temperatures in the low 90s with my h100i when testing with realbench. I was able to get a 4.9 at about 1.35v and my fan still has trouble keeping the heat away from the 80s. I tried a 4.8 and it is still unstable at 1.275. I feel like I have been cheated, like I have gotten the worst chip for overclocking in the world. I see all of these reviews that show great overclocks and mine is stuck below average.

It is very sad when I play a CPU bound game like Battlefield one. I play at 120fps. When I overclock to 4.9 I can see values of 99% GPU utilization in my gtx 1080 often and the fps is quite steady and sometimes dips into the 90s. However at stock speeds the 99% value sparce and you have to watch the value for 10 seconds to see the 99% value. Now the fps drops to the 80s or even 70s resulting in large framerate swings.

It is so frustrating! At 4.9 or 5.0 I experience either game instability which happens every one to two hours or I get overheating issues where the temperatures go into the low 90s!!!

Because reviewers are sent cherry picked CPUs, that is why.

Asus have said that 4.8 is possible on pretty much all of them, so the 5ghz thing is just a sales pitch.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 09-01-17, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Asus have said that 4.8 is possible on pretty much all of them, so the 5ghz thing is just a sales pitch.
You are probably right. I suppose I will deal with my mid 80s temperatures with a stable 4.8. I was hoping for a quiet computer. Maybe that can be achieved at 4.7.
Old 09-01-17, 08:15 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

Even retail chips Ive tested are doing 5

Quote:
I am wondering how in the hell you get a stable 5.0 overclock at 1.3v. I was only able to get a stable overclock at 1.4.

Delidding wont lower your volts. Are you using a 7700K?

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 09-01-17, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Even retail chips Ive tested are doing 5

Delidding wont lower your volts. Are you using a 7700K?
Yeah, I'm using a 7700k and the corsair h100i water cooler. I used a with all of the settings pictured. Like I said I did get 5.0 semi stable at 1.4 but the temperatures are just too high when using realbench. Max temps using HWMonitor get into low 90s.

I don't know what the problem is.
Old 09-01-17, 08:45 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Yeah, I'm using a 7700k and the corsair h100i water cooler. I used a with all of the settings pictured. Like I said I did get 5.0 semi stable at 1.4 but the temperatures are just too high when using realbench. Max temps using HWMonitor get into low 90s.

I don't know what the problem is.
Far too many questions. you cant just use the same settings either. Silicone lottery and all that. Really needs a dedicated thread setting up but I will be doing my own guide fairly soon.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 09-01-17, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Far too many questions. you cant just use the same settings either. Silicone lottery and all that. Really needs a dedicated thread setting up but I will be doing my own guide fairly soon.
Ok, so I retried today and reset bios and manually put the settings back in with Level 6 LLC and 4.8Ghz. I noticed one big thing, my cache was set at 45. I read that you need to slightly overclock your cache in order to really get performance gains. The reviewer said that 45 was good for a high-extreme OC. I turned down the multiplier to 44 and I am getting MUCH better results. Just did 10 runs of RealBench at 1.275V and I am getting max temperatures of 81C. This is acceptable, plus I got my noctua fans today and holy $h*t they are 20x quieter and push at least 2x more air at the same time! I need to see how far down I can get the volts, maybe I am getting ahead of myself.

Moral of this story, get Noctua fans and ALWAYS remember to set your Cache multiplier or you are really not getting the most out of your OC. 42 is stock, 43 is good for mild OC 44 for mid and 45 for high to extreme and your results may vary. My chip seems to react badly to 45x but 44x gives MUCH better results.
Old 29-01-17, 10:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Huge very comprehensive review and great video.

I have just started a 7700k & 7600k owners thread and linked your video.

I notice OcUK got a couple of mentions which will make them happy too.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 29-01-17, 10:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Moral of this story, get Noctua fans
Which Noctua fans are you referring to exactly? Since they have quite a few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
I have just started a 7700k & 7600k owners thread
Now where is this?...