Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 22-07-17, 05:33 AM
OC3D Elite

Thanks for doing all the retesting and it's good to see some performance gains since release and i think the gains will bode well for Threadripper and the R3 when they come out too

NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=Asus X370 ROG Crosshair VI Hero=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=16gig 3200Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 22-07-17, 10:10 AM
The Guvnor

Need to keep in mind we have not changed our testing to sway results - because we use the same tests every time we have not added a bunch of tests that we knew had had massive increases.

We can only report on the results we have.

Also something else that sways some of the numbers is the fact we used retail CPU's and dropped that 100MHz on the max overclock. These numbers are more real world though and the fact the slower ones are so close to the old OC ones does say a fair bit.

The optimisations havnt been massive beyond memory tbh but then that was such a clusterfaff at launch Id have been amazed if it didnt change.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 22-07-17, 10:27 AM
OC3D Crew

But don't you need to make a reference test. Both Intel and AMD together.
If an update to a game gives 10FPS boost to Ryzen it looks amazing, but if it does the same to Intel, then its still cool, but nothing special?
Old 22-07-17, 10:38 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
But don't you need to make a reference test. Both Intel and AMD together.
If an update to a game gives 10FPS boost to Ryzen it looks amazing, but if it does the same to Intel, then its still cool, but nothing special?
Its an AMD retest not an Intel retest. I cant retest everything, this testing alone took best part of a week including several late nights.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 22-07-17, 11:05 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Its an AMD retest not an Intel retest. I cant retest everything, this testing alone took best part of a week including several late nights.
I know it would take for EVER It was more an idea for a nother video. A difference retest. Is Ryzen catching up, or is Intel also moving forward
Old 22-07-17, 11:22 AM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
I know it would take for EVER It was more an idea for a nother video. A difference retest. Is Ryzen catching up, or is Intel also moving forward
You can always just cross reference the graphs with Intel stuff. They are all on the site.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 22-07-17, 03:03 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
You can always just cross reference the graphs with Intel stuff. They are all on the site.
My point was. 8 core Intel vs 8 core AMD
Then test a game before and after an update. This will show if the game is getting better with ryzen, og better overall.
But let's stop the dissusion, was just an idea
Old 22-07-17, 04:48 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Intel's new inner cpu communication has nothing to do with infinity fabric. It's just a marketing thing and doesn't effect performance in games. It's still an Intel architecture and therefore already has the optimization. AMD is a brand new architecture with hardly any software support. They are basically starting from scratch. That is the reason why Intel's new crap they released is running fast/as fast. Whereas AMD needs extra support to get it up and going.
Look at RotR. It get a Ryzen update and gets basically 10FPS more according to the article and previous ones as well. That's a large large increase. We haven't had many games do that yet. TW Warhammer got 1 patch but it barely did anything. It basically just made sure the threads were getting fed in a correct order and nothing more. We got performance uplift but it wasn't near anything RotR got. This is die to the fact that the Warhammer engine is poorly multi thread friendly. But to my point, Intel already has software support. AMD doesn't. Hence the interest in people's curiosity of how well it has come along.
There is a sense in what you say. I don't think all Ryzen "problems" are just software optimizations. There is something that is causing latency in realtime tasks. In some cases it can be overcomed with software update. That is why i am so excited about Zen2, because i think they can iron out all those things.
Old 23-07-17, 02:04 PM

Looking at the CPU-Z screen grabs.

Interesting to see that the tRC timings had not been adjusted from the default 78.

Thanks for doing the retest, it's interesting to see how things have or have not changed over the months.
Old 27-07-17, 06:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Kudos for having another look. Quality !

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly