Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 22-07-17, 05:33 AM
Excalabur50's Avatar
Excalabur50 Excalabur50 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,808
Thanks for doing all the retesting and it's good to see some performance gains since release and i think the gains will bode well for Threadripper and the R3 when they come out too

__________________
DRAGON'S MIST
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=Asus X370 ROG Crosshair VI Hero=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=16gig 3200Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22-07-17, 10:10 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 20,471
Need to keep in mind we have not changed our testing to sway results - because we use the same tests every time we have not added a bunch of tests that we knew had had massive increases.

We can only report on the results we have.

Also something else that sways some of the numbers is the fact we used retail CPU's and dropped that 100MHz on the max overclock. These numbers are more real world though and the fact the slower ones are so close to the old OC ones does say a fair bit.

The optimisations havnt been massive beyond memory tbh but then that was such a clusterfaff at launch Id have been amazed if it didnt change.
__________________
If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22-07-17, 10:27 AM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is online now
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 525
But don't you need to make a reference test. Both Intel and AMD together.
If an update to a game gives 10FPS boost to Ryzen it looks amazing, but if it does the same to Intel, then its still cool, but nothing special?
__________________
[I7-4790K @ 4.5Ghz][ASUS Z87I-PRO][EVGA 1080TI FE][Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400MHz][Corsair 250D][Corsair AX860i]
[Samsung 850 PRO 128][Crucial MX100 512GB][WD 2TB][ASUS PG278QR][Logitech G510s and G502][Steelseries Wireless H]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22-07-17, 10:38 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 20,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
But don't you need to make a reference test. Both Intel and AMD together.
If an update to a game gives 10FPS boost to Ryzen it looks amazing, but if it does the same to Intel, then its still cool, but nothing special?
Its an AMD retest not an Intel retest. I cant retest everything, this testing alone took best part of a week including several late nights.
__________________
If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22-07-17, 11:05 AM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is online now
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Its an AMD retest not an Intel retest. I cant retest everything, this testing alone took best part of a week including several late nights.
I know it would take for EVER It was more an idea for a nother video. A difference retest. Is Ryzen catching up, or is Intel also moving forward
__________________
[I7-4790K @ 4.5Ghz][ASUS Z87I-PRO][EVGA 1080TI FE][Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400MHz][Corsair 250D][Corsair AX860i]
[Samsung 850 PRO 128][Crucial MX100 512GB][WD 2TB][ASUS PG278QR][Logitech G510s and G502][Steelseries Wireless H]
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22-07-17, 11:22 AM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: In a hobbit hole.
Posts: 7,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
I know it would take for EVER It was more an idea for a nother video. A difference retest. Is Ryzen catching up, or is Intel also moving forward
You can always just cross reference the graphs with Intel stuff. They are all on the site.


__________________

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22-07-17, 03:03 PM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is online now
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
You can always just cross reference the graphs with Intel stuff. They are all on the site.
My point was. 8 core Intel vs 8 core AMD
Then test a game before and after an update. This will show if the game is getting better with ryzen, og better overall.
But let's stop the dissusion, was just an idea
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22-07-17, 04:48 PM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Intel's new inner cpu communication has nothing to do with infinity fabric. It's just a marketing thing and doesn't effect performance in games. It's still an Intel architecture and therefore already has the optimization. AMD is a brand new architecture with hardly any software support. They are basically starting from scratch. That is the reason why Intel's new crap they released is running fast/as fast. Whereas AMD needs extra support to get it up and going.
Look at RotR. It get a Ryzen update and gets basically 10FPS more according to the article and previous ones as well. That's a large large increase. We haven't had many games do that yet. TW Warhammer got 1 patch but it barely did anything. It basically just made sure the threads were getting fed in a correct order and nothing more. We got performance uplift but it wasn't near anything RotR got. This is die to the fact that the Warhammer engine is poorly multi thread friendly. But to my point, Intel already has software support. AMD doesn't. Hence the interest in people's curiosity of how well it has come along.
There is a sense in what you say. I don't think all Ryzen "problems" are just software optimizations. There is something that is causing latency in realtime tasks. In some cases it can be overcomed with software update. That is why i am so excited about Zen2, because i think they can iron out all those things.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23-07-17, 02:04 PM
Terre Terre is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Looking at the CPU-Z screen grabs.

Interesting to see that the tRC timings had not been adjusted from the default 78.

Thanks for doing the retest, it's interesting to see how things have or have not changed over the months.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 27-07-17, 06:44 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,957
Kudos for having another look. Quality !
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.