Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 11-08-17, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garih View Post
I ran a +0.1-+0.15 approx offset at 1.7ghz. CPU-z recorded just under 1.4v

in the screenshot voltage is set to auto.

when you do set an offset voltage the bios will show the new base voltage the next time you enter the bios (where on your screenshot it shows 1.237v).

the mainboard is then dynamicaly changing that base voltage.
that´s why you will see different voltage values in CPU-Z.
in CPU-Z you will see what the cpu actually needs at the current state, that´s normal.

when you are going to overclock anway then in my opinion the 1600x is wasted money.

Old 11-08-17, 11:48 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
Yes, but did it also crash stock, or only when overclocked?
I only ran it stock for a few hours....
Old 11-08-17, 11:51 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
in the screenshot voltage is set to auto.

when you do set an offset voltage the bios will show the new base voltage the next time you enter the bios (where on your screenshot it shows 1.237v).

the mainboard is then dynamicaly changing that base voltage.
that´s why you will see different voltage values in CPU-Z.
in CPU-Z you will see what the cpu actually needs at the current state, that´s normal.

when you are going to overclock anway then in my opinion the 1600x is wasted money.
I'm just gonna leave the 1600x to do its own thing. Can't be arsed with the headache. The 2500k system ran for 5 years at 4GHz rock solid stable. I don't like these problems!
Old 11-08-17, 01:29 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Like the other guy said you are having issues because all you did was set an offset while leaving everything on auto. You need to manually set it all up.

You got the 1600x, but in the future I suggest learning by watching videos. It's not all that hard and the extra performance will be welcome
Old 11-08-17, 02:24 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Like the other guy said you are having issues because all you did was set an offset while leaving everything on auto. You need to manually set it all up.

You got the 1600x, but in the future I suggest learning by watching videos. It's not all that hard and the extra performance will be welcome
I tried to find videos on it. I the end I used Paul's hardware video on over clocking the easy way!
I have had another look and can't find anything about setting up other voltages.... any links you can share?

Update:
That was weird, ran Asus Realbench stress test. with ram at 2900, CPU fully auto and after 1 min system black-screened. Neither pressing the reset button or holding power button did anything, i had to switch off PSU to reboot... have just set ram to auto (2133) and will try again

Update:
So with everything stock/auto can't even manage 5 minutes of real bench...
temps under 60c.

Errors by gari hughes, on Flickr

Update:
OK. I tried to run GPU stress test in Aida 64. but it said TDR delay too low in windows, would you like it to change. I hit yes, it changed the value from 2 to 8. rebooted and retested Realbench and it passed a 15-minute test.

Starting a 1 hour test now. Will update when completed/failed.

Update:
Passed 1 hour test. Will now try some overclocking of the cpu
Old 11-08-17, 08:44 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
So you have only changed core voltage? No SoC Voltage modifications?
I have been playing with settings, after changing the TRD delay in Registry i managed to get it stable at stock.

Turned the ram up to 2400 (so far) and started working on CPU.

at 3600MHz 1.39v (+.16250 off set) finally able to complete a Realbench 15 minute stress test by upping the SOC with a +.1 offset.

will try dialing back the vcore and see if still stable.
Old 13-08-17, 11:12 PM
OC3D Crew

so... I got the 1600x in, everything completely auto. trying to play Ghost Recon Wildlands and the computer still randomly crashes.

as in, the reset button does nothing, I have to switch off the PSU to enable it to reset...

have I got a crap mobo?
I have opened a ticket on the Asus site, God knows when/ if I will get a response.

The PSU is only a couple of years old. (RM650) and the GPU is a similar age. and both have been used up to this point on my previous intel setup with absolutely no issues at all.

I have tried other Nvidia drivers out of curiosity, but no difference.

AMD not winning my heart here.

EDIT: just checked Asus had a new bios available (0809). just installed that, 5 minutes into windows just looking at event viewer and youtube and it crashed again, completely rebooted.
critical new by gari hughes, on Flickr

Edit.
Rolled back the bios to 0805. Managed to get a hour so far in game. Will update if anything changes
Old 14-08-17, 03:00 AM
OC3D Crew

Doesn't sound like it's an AMD problem but rather a motherboard problem. Random shutdowns like that to where the reset button doesn't do anything does sound more like a symptom of the motherboard and not the CPU. Hopefully the BIOS update will do the trick.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.815 ••• Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev 1••• Corsair H100
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G2 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB x2 ••• MSI R9 290x Lightning
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• BenQ XL2720Z
Logitech G710+ ••• Logitech G502
Old 14-08-17, 03:02 AM
OC3D Crew

Been running the old 0805 bios for a couple of hours now. Seems stable still. Weird that both newer bios are crap...
Old 14-08-17, 06:46 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Might not even be AMD related at all. Which would include the motherboard.

You could have bad cables?
Maybe loose cables?
Any cables pinched?
Clean OS install? Not an image copied from an Intel machine to a Ryzen machine?
Updated Windows?
High Performance power state?
Memory settings correct? The rated speed and timings? Is it stable? Does it pass Memtest?
The SSD connected securely?
Nothing is causing a short? Loose connections/motherboard screws/metal on metal contact anywhere?
Does the PSU support Ryzen?(probably)
You using the correct cables that came with the PSU? Yes this does matter. A LOT actually. Even between the same company. Different models require different cables.

Kernel-Power 41 is literally the worst error log ever. It literally can be anything and does little to narrow it down. You seriously have to do some digging to figure these out. Can be anything from a bad USB driver, in fact any driver that causes instability and forces a restart/system hang, Bad OC, virus/malware that causes a shutdown/restart, or even your power grid shutting down. So many things fall under error 41.

I list all those things above from experience. I have had this issue 2 times personally and 1 other time on someone else's PC. The list above has solved this constant restart issue every time for me from Windows 7/8.1/10.