Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 21-07-17, 01:19 PM
The Guvnor

AMD Ryzen Retest 1500x 1600x 1800x Review

As the Zen architecture has rapidly matured we've had a lot of calls to retest the Ryzen CPUs, so that's what we've done.

AMD Ryzen Retest 1500x 1600x 1800x Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 21-07-17, 02:13 PM

And yet even on that BIOS i'm having to RMA my stuff again. USB controller's gone completely bananas, often refusing to recognise any devices past the first 30 minutes of the machine being switch on, i've never got any QVL memory kit to clock at all on this motherboard, regardless of whether they're hynix or samsung based or either an even/odd CAS. I'd say it's luck of the draw as i've had 6 of this motherboard, none working as described.
Old 21-07-17, 03:38 PM

So, these benches confuse me. Why am I getting similar or higher scores with my 1700 @ 3.875 GHZ and Mem @ 3066mhz? Not complaining about your review, mind you, I'm just curious.

Thanks for the quality review. You're the Best TTL
Old 21-07-17, 04:50 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks for the review. Not many re-test articles out there. Interesting results too. Lots of people were saying immature BIOS is what was holding Ryzen back for a while. I was one that was kinda hoping that was true so the gaming performance would improve some but glad to know Ryzen is what it is.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.815 ••• Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev 1••• Corsair H100
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G2 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB x2 ••• MSI R9 290x Lightning
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• BenQ XL2720Z
Logitech G710+ ••• Logitech G502
Old 21-07-17, 05:28 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Thanks for the review. Not many re-test articles out there. Interesting results too. Lots of people were saying immature BIOS is what was holding Ryzen back for a while. I was one that was kinda hoping that was true so the gaming performance would improve some but glad to know Ryzen is what it is.
It did improve. Don't take these results as definitive. It's only 3 games. Not saying his are wrong but you'd have to test a bunch to get an answer. I'm sure it's nothing drastic but improvements all around are there. Should check WYP article on his recent memory tests. You see pretty noticeable gains.
Old 21-07-17, 07:34 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It did improve. Don't take these results as definitive. It's only 3 games. Not saying his are wrong but you'd have to test a bunch to get an answer. I'm sure it's nothing drastic but improvements all around are there. Should check WYP article on his recent memory tests. You see pretty noticeable gains.
Yeah it is an improvement and any improvement is good but it's only ~5% if my math is correct (and it's usually not) which I'd still gladly take but it's not the 20-30% that a lot of people, even me I guess, were expecting. LOL

I think a lot of it was wishful thinking on part of AMD fans like me who were disappointed with the gaming performance of Ryzen and hoping it was just a matter of programming not caught up to Ryzen yet. Kinda like the way we were thinking back when Bulldozer came out. Just wait til Microsoft optimises Windows better then my 8150 will really shine.
Old 21-07-17, 09:16 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Yeah it is an improvement and any improvement is good but it's only ~5% if my math is correct (and it's usually not) which I'd still gladly take but it's not the 20-30% that a lot of people, even me I guess, were expecting. LOL

I think a lot of it was wishful thinking on part of AMD fans like me who were disappointed with the gaming performance of Ryzen and hoping it was just a matter of programming not caught up to Ryzen yet. Kinda like the way we were thinking back when Bulldozer came out. Just wait til Microsoft optimises Windows better then my 8150 will really shine.
I don't think programming has anything to do with that. Intel released Skylake X wich also has a type of "infinity fabric" and they smash. Yes Ryzen is good in dead multithreading like Video render, but Music production test show some kind of latency inside Ryzen architecture, making Ryzen for realitme tasks (gaming, music production, and similar) just not at pair with Intel.

Don't get me wrong. Ryzen is good. Epicly priced, more than average user will ever need. Intel is better than Ryzen, that is a fact, but it isn't better as much as it is expensive. If i play double the price do i get double the performance... no... not even 50% and that makes Ryzen very good. They are back, and that has everyone scared. That is what we needed. I hope they keep on improving and that Zen 2 actually can beat blue boys.
Old 22-07-17, 12:11 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
I don't think programming has anything to do with that. Intel released Skylake X wich also has a type of "infinity fabric" and they smash. Yes Ryzen is good in dead multithreading like Video render, but Music production test show some kind of latency inside Ryzen architecture, making Ryzen for realitme tasks (gaming, music production, and similar) just not at pair with Intel.

Don't get me wrong. Ryzen is good. Epicly priced, more than average user will ever need. Intel is better than Ryzen, that is a fact, but it isn't better as much as it is expensive. If i play double the price do i get double the performance... no... not even 50% and that makes Ryzen very good. They are back, and that has everyone scared. That is what we needed. I hope they keep on improving and that Zen 2 actually can beat blue boys.
Intel's new inner cpu communication has nothing to do with infinity fabric. It's just a marketing thing and doesn't effect performance in games. It's still an Intel architecture and therefore already has the optimization. AMD is a brand new architecture with hardly any software support. They are basically starting from scratch. That is the reason why Intel's new crap they released is running fast/as fast. Whereas AMD needs extra support to get it up and going.
Look at RotR. It get a Ryzen update and gets basically 10FPS more according to the article and previous ones as well. That's a large large increase. We haven't had many games do that yet. TW Warhammer got 1 patch but it barely did anything. It basically just made sure the threads were getting fed in a correct order and nothing more. We got performance uplift but it wasn't near anything RotR got. This is die to the fact that the Warhammer engine is poorly multi thread friendly. But to my point, Intel already has software support. AMD doesn't. Hence the interest in people's curiosity of how well it has come along.
Old 21-07-17, 05:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Thanks a lot for taking the time to retest these.
Old 21-07-17, 07:03 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks Tom. It is nice that you keep everything up to date. And i so much love your setup in the background for this video.