Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 21-11-13, 08:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCobs View Post
Noctua for the WIN!!!
Haha, yeah those coolers are pretty neat. Build quality is superb. Although I most likely
won't actually be using any Noctua fans, but the San Ace ones instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
bloody hell alpenwasser, is there ever a point where you doing have a build on the go haha
Haha, yeah once I'm done with this and HELIOS I'll be done for quite a while I reckon.
No monies left after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gk1ngs View Post
If it purpose is to be a server and you are not going to put a window panel on it I don't think there is much reason to paint/powder coat the inside. As much as it would be nice to see and make a good build log, it just is not necessary.
That's what I've been thinking TBH. It would be totally awesome to make this all pretty
and such, but as things are now I can neither justify the costs to my dad (who would be
paying for it) nor do I have the time, with time being the bigger problem (I might be able
to get the cash to pay for powder coating myself). But hey, maybe at a later date?

Despite that, there will definitely be custom cables. If I can't have pretty colours I at
least want things to be anally tidy and neat.

Quote:
Definately good prices on the hardware, curious how well it performs. I have plans for a home server/test bench with virtualisation so could do with something with a little bit of guts about it.
I'm pretty happy with the costs so far, yes (especially the CPUs). Had a few stability
issues, been running mprime (the Linux version of Prime95) for the past few days, will
make a post about that once I'm confident I've resolved any possible stability problems
and when I get the time to write it up.

If you want to go virtualization, you might be interested in some hexacores instead of
quadcore CPUs (though I'm not an expert on virt, so I might be off on that one). The
L5639 is currently going for about 100 USD a pop on eBay. But for this rig that wasn't
really necessary (even eight cores is probably overkill for a file server, although I will
be using ZFS' on-the-fly compression feature, which should make good use of that
CPU power at least some of the time).

Cheers,
-aw

Old 21-11-13, 09:17 PM

Location: Where it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter
Quote:
Haha, yeah those coolers are pretty neat. Build quality is superb. Although I most likely
won't actually be using any Noctua fans, but the San Ace ones instead.
For a fleeting moment I thought you were joining the club!

Projekt Suma Kuhl 2013 (ended)
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...Suma+Kuhl+2013

Tha Leviathan build in progress...
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=56390
Old 21-11-13, 09:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
For a fleeting moment I thought you were joining the club!
Well, I'll still have Noctua coolers, so...

Seriously though, I love those San Ace fans for this build. They're way too loud for something
like HELIOS, which will end up in my room, but for something that's in its own separate
room they're perfect. And as a build quality fetishist, handling those rather hefty double
ball bearing fans is a pure joy.

I'd love to have some double ball bearing 140's for HELIOS, but they're around 50 to 70 USD
per piece, and they'll never be as silent as the Spectre Pros, so I don't really see the point
in spending 400 to 600 USD on them. But hell, those would be awesome (they weight
450 grams a piece, which is about one pound, massive construction FTW! ).

Hell, I'd even take some industrial sleeve bearing fans from Papst (also extremely well
built), but they don't come in 140.

Bottom line: I'd love to have industrial grade build quality coupled with extremely low
noise, but that's just not going to happen as fas as I'm able to tell.
Old 22-11-13, 06:56 AM

Location: Where it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter
Quote:
Bottom line: I'd love to have industrial grade build quality coupled with extremely low
noise, but that's just not going to happen as fas as I'm able to tell.
Industrial grade will NEVER be quiet.

Projekt Suma Kuhl 2013 (ended)
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...Suma+Kuhl+2013

Tha Leviathan build in progress...
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=56390
Old 22-11-13, 08:52 AM

The word industrial almost means noise lol
Old 22-11-13, 09:36 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Industrial grade will NEVER be quiet.
Quote:
The word industrial almost means noise lol
Yup, that's been my conclusion so far. Although, the 120 San Aces I ordered are actually
fairly quiet, just not as quiet as the Spectre Pros. They're definitely not loud, just not uber-
silent. But for a machine I'll have in my room (e.g. HELIOS) I'm not looking for quiet-ish, I
want near absolute noiselessness, and that's just not in the cards.
Old 22-12-13, 07:42 PM

So any more progress been made with this? I'm pretty curious about this one. Hopefully I will be able to get some funds up after the new year and get some gear together for a dual Xeon build.

How are you finding the motherboard as it seems to be one of the more popular so will prob go with the same or similar from Supermicro.
Old 22-12-13, 08:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
So any more progress been made with this? I'm pretty curious about this one. Hopefully I will be able to get some funds up after the new year and get some gear together for a dual Xeon build.

How are you finding the motherboard as it seems to be one of the more popular so will prob go with the same or similar from Supermicro.
Been busy with college in the past few weeks, so I'll hopefully continue with this after the
festivities. I ran into a few stability problems (solved now).

Since the board is made for server chassis it relies on massive airflow to keep things cool
(specifically, the chipset), which was not fulfilled in my case. So once I started running
mprime (the Linux variant of Prime95) it would crash the machine rather quickly and it would
refuse to boot up again for 15 to 30 minutes. The chipset heatsink got so hot during this
that you could not actually touch it without burning your fingers. The CPUs run at around
40 C during mprime.

I have now improvised a fan onto the chipset heatsink and the board has gotten a few
dozen hours of mprime under its belt without problems, so I think it's OK now (stays at
around 65 to 68 C, threshold is 95 C).

Other than that the board seems to be pretty good (IPMI: awesome!). Just keep in mind
that if you want to run HDD's > 2 TB on it, you'll need a PCI-E adapter since those disks
won't get properly recognized by the board as there weren't any out when the board was
brought to market.
Old 23-12-13, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the over heating issue. I will probibly end up with the same issue then.
Look foreward to seeing updates and the improvised fan when you have more free time, but for now good luck with the studies.
Old 11-01-14, 12:14 AM

Hope the studies are going well. I just had a quick question about where you got your M/B from was this another eBay purchase? I had a quick look n mostly seem to be finding ones coming from America, n being in the UK don't really want to pay such high shipping and import tax if it can be helped.

Tags
2cpu, san ace, server, supermicro