Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-11-19, 11:02 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Iirc the DRM policies and p much everything else were revealed long before E3, the E3 reveals were just price and some games.

I remember a lot of bad press about Microsoft's DRM policy but it was literally just the Steam terms for a console. It had family game share and lots of other progressive features that were only possible with more mature digital based DRM they had originally proposed. Practically I think it would have been far more pro-consumer than the current system with far fewer niggles around the digital aspects. But of course this being gaming, there was vocal opposition to any change that would have brought the consoles up to date with other media forms.

Sony clearly had a head start in games though, especially if you like those open world (But still pretty linear) single player AAA games that are all the rage now. They've fell behind recently though, this and next year(So far) looks quite stark for releases, especially given MS seem to have their line up ready 5 years late but all at once.
There was leaks about all the DRM stuff but MS confirmed the entire lot at their E3 conference, I still remember the presenter saying afterwards "we have a console for those who don't have internet, the Xbox 360." What parts were "Steam for consoles" exactly? The DRM they announced were that the Kinext had to connected to the console and always on so it could hear the go word, which massive privacy concerns were raised since how sophisticated the Kinects cameras are. Console had to be always online, and if your internet is down then tough luck mate, can't even play offline single player games until it can phone home. The secondhand games is where they really messed up, because they tried to apply digital DRM to standard physical copies. I can see how the secondhand games part is like Steam, since some PC games still come on disc but have a Steam code so the disc is redundant.

Problem with the Xbox DRM is that they wanted to go from one mindset to the exact opposite like flipping a switch, rather than letting digital distribution sales mature and physical sales slow down. However, digital DRM on physical sales will never work. Primarily becaus people who still buy physical copies -such as myself- prefer the flexibility of being able to resell. Plus they will kill a lot of businesses if they do that as well

Old 17-11-19, 11:44 AM
OC3D Elite

I think all that stuff was at their Xbone reveal event like two weeks before E3 or something. While I agree it was a big change for consoles, they did have some very nice features to bridge the gap, like being able to digitally "lend" games to friends and share libraries, which is one of the nicer features we've seen come to Steam since then(Though watered down somewhat), with an offline grace period when no connection, and this system would have meant you didn't need the disc in the console to play for instance, as atm with a lot of games now the disc requirement after install is basically just to verify you own the game. I admit maybe it was too early for a lot of markets but imo it would have been an interesting alternative to the status quo for Xbox's key geographic markets(It's literally just Spotify's DRM system really, not for everyone but very popular).
Old 17-11-19, 03:09 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I think all that stuff was at their Xbone reveal event like two weeks before E3 or something. While I agree it was a big change for consoles, they did have some very nice features to bridge the gap, like being able to digitally "lend" games to friends and share libraries, which is one of the nicer features we've seen come to Steam since then(Though watered down somewhat), with an offline grace period when no connection, and this system would have meant you didn't need the disc in the console to play for instance, as atm with a lot of games now the disc requirement after install is basically just to verify you own the game. I admit maybe it was too early for a lot of markets but imo it would have been an interesting alternative to the status quo for Xbox's key geographic markets(It's literally just Spotify's DRM system really, not for everyone but very popular).
Yep. It was way too early for them to pull the stunts they did. They also completely missed their user base at the time weren't the same as PC gamers are happy to buy a game and have it tied to their account permanently. Most Xbox players at the time were your "dude Bros" and what not who liked the freedom of being able to sell a game once they've completed it.
Now digital distribution is almost the standard with most forms of gaming, pulling the DRM stunt with secondhand games won't cause as much of a fuss as it did before; although others -again, such as myself- won't like it since we prefer the ability of having actual ownership of our games, rather than just licensing them.