Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 20-03-18, 09:50 AM

doing so much research on gaming monitors that I now have mush for brains

I have an i7 7700k and a Galax “Hall of Fame” GTX 1080 GPU. My current monitor is an ASUS 27” 1080p 144Hz.
I play games such as Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed and Witcher etc.
All the research suggests that 1440p is the way to go, 144Hz, 27”, (I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so my PC desk is tiny so depth wise of the monitor stand has to be considered), G Sync and I would like it to be curved.
All monitors I have seen have at least one element missing either no G Sync or they are not IPS or they are not 1440p or they are a flat screen. I really like the look of Asus’ https://www.asus.com/au/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27VQ/ but it’s a TN panel. Am I being too picky, as I sit right in front of the monitor? Is what I am looking for not available?
Should I look at 4K? Is going from 144 FPS on a 1080p to 60 FPS on a 4k going to be an improvement or not? Is there still issues with Windows scaling with a 4K monitor?
Any suggestions please.

Old 20-03-18, 10:02 AM
The Guvnor

The colours are much better on the TN's now but in reality you are the only one that will be able to decide if a faster panel is better for you or if you want colours to be better.

I personally use the PG279's and I love them but there is a freesync TN in the office that does look like butter with sync'd frames.

You need to remember though with Gsync (or freesync) enabled buying a 165Hz screen doesnt mean it runs at 165. To get 165Hz your game would need to be played at 165FPS

1440p is the best of both the resolution and performance impact wolds and youll only end up maxing a 4K screen out with basic games like rocket league.

So you need to decide colours - IPS/TN or refresh rate 4ms (IPS) vs normally 1ms (TN)

If youre just a casual gamer and enjoy turning all the settings right up for eyecandy then Id get a decent IPS based Gsync panel

Just remember if you get any in game issues with flicker etc then thats a gamer/driver issue not the screen itself

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 20-03-18, 10:12 AM

Just remember if you get any in game issues with flicker etc then thats a gamer/driver issue not the screen itself[/QUOTE]
I think I will have a closer look at the ROG-SWIFT-PG27VQ
Thank You
Old 20-03-18, 10:27 AM
OC3D Elite

No you are not being picky. Buying a monitor is a nightmare of a task because as you rightly point out, there is always some sort of sacrifice. I would say if the primary use is gaming a TN will be OK. Mostly because you are looking straight at it. However, if you have to live with TN on a daily basis for work and so on? I would avoid. IPS and VA are so far ahead when it comes to black levels/brightness without going grey etc that it's not even funny.

I ended up choosing a media screen. 1440p, 70hz (well it's better than 60 and all of my games work fine and don't break) with Freesync that hilariously I do not use.

That was the trade off. I wanted G-sync but found it almost impossible to find a screen matching the rest of my criteria.

Old 20-03-18, 02:21 PM
Resident Newb

PG279Q gets my vote, I had the PG278Q, Basically an earlier version of the PG27VQ you linked, And while TN for gaming is great, As soon as you lean a bit or want to do other stuff besides game, That's where it falls of a cliff, Spend the extra money and get the PG279Q with the IPS display, You won't be disappointed.

Old 20-03-18, 02:33 PM
Bettyswollocks

Personally if I had the cash I'd go 27" 1440p at 75Hz+ IPS 1ms I feel your pain shopping for a panel it's almost as bad a building a rig just ticking all those boxes. As a lot of forum members know I game A LOT, I run 2 panels at the moment 1x 24" 1080p Acer TN 60Hz for Discord and monitoring and my primary is a 27" 1080p Asus IPS 75Hz 1ms panel I run all games on this at 4K DSR with NVIDIA Fast Sync enabled and it's night and day over V-Sync'd 1080.
Old 20-03-18, 02:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Personally if I had the cash I'd go 27" 1440p at 75Hz+ IPS 1ms I feel your pain shopping for a panel it's almost as bad a building a rig just ticking all those boxes. As a lot of forum members know I game A LOT, I run 2 panels at the moment 1x 24" 1080p Acer TN 60Hz for Discord and monitoring and my primary is a 27" 1080p Asus IPS 75Hz 1ms panel I run all games on this at 4K DSR with NVIDIA Fast Sync enabled and it's night and day over V-Sync'd 1080.
It's the worst part of building a PC, that is for sure. With a PC so long as you are prepared to pay for it you will get what you want. With a monitor? you will never find the perfect one and will have to put up with sacrifice. Which really sucks.

If you went into buying a monitor with totally no compromise you wouldn't buy one. It really is that bad.

Old 20-03-18, 02:46 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's the worst part of building a PC, that is for sure. With a PC so long as you are prepared to pay for it you will get what you want. With a monitor? you will never find the perfect one and will have to put up with sacrifice. Which really sucks.

If you went into buying a monitor with totally no compromise you wouldn't buy one. It really is that bad.
PCWorld have some beauties in at the moment and I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on a pair. The LENOVO 65CEGAC1UD has my eye with a couple of compromises namely the refresh rate but that should OC quite well.
Old 20-03-18, 04:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Mine is OC. It's only supposed to do 70 on AMD, and I know a couple of people who OCed it to 70 on a Nvidia and failed. I think the latest one is guaranteed to do 70 on Nvidia though.

Old 20-03-18, 05:33 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydie66 View Post
I have an i7 7700k and a Galax “Hall of Fame” GTX 1080 GPU. My current monitor is an ASUS 27” 1080p 144Hz.
I play games such as Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed and Witcher etc.
All the research suggests that 1440p is the way to go, 144Hz, 27”, (I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so my PC desk is tiny so depth wise of the monitor stand has to be considered), G Sync and I would like it to be curved.
All monitors I have seen have at least one element missing either no G Sync or they are not IPS or they are not 1440p or they are a flat screen. I really like the look of Asus’ https://www.asus.com/au/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27VQ/ but it’s a TN panel. Am I being too picky, as I sit right in front of the monitor? Is what I am looking for not available?
Should I look at 4K? Is going from 144 FPS on a 1080p to 60 FPS on a 4k going to be an improvement or not? Is there still issues with Windows scaling with a 4K monitor?
Any suggestions please.
GSync is only "useful" if your frames are regularly below 60/the native refresh of the screen, I'm not sure where this idea of running 144hz Gsync comes from, but it seems daft, GSync was designed so that a monitor receiving a framerate lower than it's native refresh rate could display the frames without the need to buffer them between refreshes, causing input lag, Above 60hz, it's mostly pointless. That said, if you're looking to push 1440p or 4k, it'l help, rig dependent.

There are more than just IPS and TN panels etc now so that's also worth considering. You can get 144hz 1440p with better colour than IPS can produce, HDR with better response times and at better angles now. It'l cost you a lot though.

Personally, stick with Samsung/LG/Dell and avoid the Asus/Acer brands QC is crap there and they're far more "disposable" than the others, and they seem stuck in the TN/IPS tech when there's better options out there now.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!