Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 23-03-20, 08:22 PM
OC3D Elite

That's a serious starting point at 2150, LOL! But that's what you should get when you shell out the big bucks, in a perfect world.

Old 23-03-20, 09:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
That's a serious starting point at 2150, LOL! But that's what you should get when you shell out the big bucks, in a perfect world.
Yeah. It's an A chip and then they're all binned. Thing is it's only (he says like he's rich lol) £400 more than the dual hybrid.

It should hit 2200 really. It's nothing like the 10 series though so I have some reading to do.

Edit. Ahhhh. It seems I auto tuned the card by clicking the Scan in the kingpin software.

I did try 230 like my XP but it bombed. Now I know why. To get 2150 all you do is add 100. 2200 is about the limit on the AIO unless you install the BIOS that unlocks the voltage and voids the warranty.

It's still faster than a Titan RTX, cooler and cheaper.

Old 23-03-20, 11:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Once you get to a certain point (like where you are now), the gains beyond that aren't really worth the trouble IMO. Unless you're bored, and looking to get that 'absolute highest score' on some benchmarks, I'd rather set it and forget it. I put mine at +250 core + 800 memory, and it seems happy as a clam. I can push the memory higher (it has benched at +1000), but the instability isn't worth it.

Old 24-03-20, 12:16 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm pretty sure it boosts to 2050 out of the box. Hence why it's quicker than the Titan RTX.

Watching the benchmarks made it pretty clear the rig is insane fast.

If Nvidia can nail DLSS then ray tracing will be much less of a penalty and make it worth using. I see they've renamed it DLSS 2, probably to put the debacle behind them which is good.

Old 24-03-20, 08:10 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Yeah. It's an A chip and then they're all binned. Thing is it's only (he says like he's rich lol) £400 more than the dual hybrid.

It should hit 2200 really. It's nothing like the 10 series though so I have some reading to do.

Edit. Ahhhh. It seems I auto tuned the card by clicking the Scan in the kingpin software.

I did try 230 like my XP but it bombed. Now I know why. To get 2150 all you do is add 100. 2200 is about the limit on the AIO unless you install the BIOS that unlocks the voltage and voids the warranty.

It's still faster than a Titan RTX, cooler and cheaper.
2200 will be easy for that card. Wont break a sweat. If mine can handle 2250 im sure yours can hit that.
Old 24-03-20, 11:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
2200 will be easy for that card. Wont break a sweat. If mine can handle 2250 im sure yours can hit that.
Which card did you have? Aorus? Stick it in your sig dude.

Old 24-03-20, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Which card did you have? Aorus? Stick it in your sig dude.
MSI Gaming X Trio.

Its a real beast. It helped having it under water. Hits 50C maxed out which is acceptable to me. I tried the OC Scan and it put 165hz on the clock. For the scan alone I was impressed, so I slapped in an offset and tested it in Division 2 on ultra which is quite intensive at 3440x1440 and the monster pushes it all the way up to 85 fps (100 in quieter areas)

I think this is by far my best ever performing card.

it clocks at 1800 out of the box, but when I monitored usage in AB, I saw it hitting 2100. I just put 210 offset in and it takes it like a champ. With boost etc, I saw it hitting 2250 in Div 2.
Old 24-03-20, 11:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah when pushed hard they don't like going above around 52c. You definitely got lucky there though, as that's brutal clocks for a 2080Ti, even a Kingpin. Most cards crap out around 2050, the accepted top OC is around 2030.

I also realised I am not on the OC bios yet. So that will provide a bit more voltage without voiding the warranty.

Old 24-03-20, 12:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Yeah when pushed hard they don't like going above around 52c. You definitely got lucky there though, as that's brutal clocks for a 2080Ti, even a Kingpin. Most cards crap out around 2050, the accepted top OC is around 2030.

I also realised I am not on the OC bios yet. So that will provide a bit more voltage without voiding the warranty.
I think you should talk in terms of Offset because talking max clock means nothing for Nvidia.

Offset allows you to know what your base clock was otherwise 2030 for some could be a 10hz offset on a high end card, or 200 offset on a founders etc. You get the point im making I suppose.

btw, the OC bios does nothing to the clocks. It just ramps up the hybrid fan and VRM fan. Ok, lower temp means a higher boost, but thats about it.
Old 24-03-20, 07:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I think you should talk in terms of Offset because talking max clock means nothing for Nvidia.

Offset allows you to know what your base clock was otherwise 2030 for some could be a 10hz offset on a high end card, or 200 offset on a founders etc. You get the point im making I suppose.

btw, the OC bios does nothing to the clocks. It just ramps up the hybrid fan and VRM fan. Ok, lower temp means a higher boost, but thats about it.
Yeah it's not the same as Pascal, so I have some learning to do once I sit down with it all set up. Won't bother with the BIOS switch then, I'd hate it to be noisy.

Currently deciding what I want to do about storage. Not for games so much but for my music collection. Do I get a couple of 1tb SSDs, or a couple of 2tb 2.5" drives (for quieter operation) or something like an Ironwolf 6tb?

Or do I just say screw that and get a newer, much faster NAS? I'm kinda leaning toward that.