Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1591  
Old 29-07-20, 02:51 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 6,970
Just witnessed a fatality... Car changed lanes on the motorwar into a speeding truck which smash into its rear, and launched the car

Car driver to blame, but no chance of survival. Jeez makes you wonder if the car didnt have crumple zones, would the driver have lived.

Reply With Quote
  #1592  
Old 29-07-20, 03:49 PM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Just witnessed a fatality... Car changed lanes on the motorwar into a speeding truck which smash into its rear, and launched the car

Car driver to blame, but no chance of survival. Jeez makes you wonder if the car didnt have crumple zones, would the driver have lived.
No, he wouldn't. That amount of force would just rip the organs out of their positions causing instantaneous death. The force would be even stronger without crumple zones. It is a very common type of damage caused by strong impacts.

Crumple zones on cars are extremely good. If cars didn't have crumple zones most accidents that now aren't (with crumple zones) would be fatal. The reason is massive damage to internal organs due to the force of the impact. With crumple zones, the force is absorbed and diverted around the cabin making it less damaging to human body.

If the crash was so bad that the whole car got squashed there is no way he would have survived either way. Sadly that is how physics works.

Either way witnessing something like that is pretty stressful.
__________________
Turbos on an engine is God's way of telling you it ain't got enough cylinders.
Reply With Quote
  #1593  
Old 30-07-20, 03:43 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,825
Yeah, impact is a major killer. Like when Dale Earnhart died. His skull literally ripped off his spine. That's why they have those bungee things on their helmets that connects to the seat now.

It's not nice to see though tbh. If you need to talk we're here dude.
__________________


If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Reply With Quote
  #1594  
Old 30-07-20, 04:19 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Yeah, impact is a major killer. Like when Dale Earnhart died. His skull literally ripped off his spine. That's why they have those bungee things on their helmets that connects to the seat now.
They did actually have HANS devices at the time, but they were as yet not fully proven in benefits and Earnhart found them restrictive and called them a "noose" because he felt it was more likely to hang him than save his life. His death was the key factor that led to them being mandated for NASCAR though, and not long after Mercedes were finishing their near-decade of research on the devices to verify their benefits to single seater racing series (Focus on HANS devices in F1 started with Senna and Ratzenberger's deaths at the 1994 San Marino GP, both from basilar skull fractures).

But yeah, deeply unpleasant in any circumstance. Crazy how our understanding of this type of injury is so recent.
Reply With Quote
  #1595  
Old 03-08-20, 10:06 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 6,970
Interesting to see the Latest top sales on Steam

Grounded
Valve Index VR Kit
Destroy All Humans!
Sea of Thieves
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
Red Dead Redemption 2
Satisfactory
Death Stranding

You can blame people like me for that
And after playing Alyx i do not regret the stupid amount it cost me on shipping and taxes either!
Reply With Quote
  #1596  
Old 05-08-20, 08:31 AM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,675
Upgrade time is upon me, time to retire CJ and start a fresh build. So as I type my Mobo and CPU are winding their way across the Peak District to complete the build and I'll post pictures a little later.



i74790k -> R5 3600X
1080Ti or RX5700XT (Have both so meh)
16GB DDR3 2300 -> 32GB DDR4 3200
Z97 Sabertooth -> B550 Motar Max
EVGA 650 -> EVGA 750
Define S -> Core V21


Gonna be a fun packed day.
__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #1597  
Old 05-08-20, 09:10 AM
trawetSluaP's Avatar
trawetSluaP trawetSluaP is online now
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Upgrade time is upon me, time to retire CJ and start a fresh build. So as I type my Mobo and CPU are winding their way across the Peak District to complete the build and I'll post pictures a little later.



i74790k -> R5 3600X
1080Ti or RX5700XT (Have both so meh)
16GB DDR3 2300 -> 32GB DDR4 3200
Z97 Sabertooth -> B550 Motar Max
EVGA 650 -> EVGA 750
Define S -> Core V21


Gonna be a fun packed day.
Oh nice! Have fun!

For those who recall my issues with ASUS regarding the faulty monitor they have no sent out and I have received a brand new replacement.

Due to the delay I actually bought a brand new Dell monitor which I am chuffed with!

However, this has left me confused over what to do with the ASUS replacement. It is brand new and sealed, however, ASUS confirmed it will carry the original warranty which only has 3 months left.

I considered selling the ASUS unit but am hesitant due to the new buyer not having an warranty on a brand new monitor. I spoke with ASUS and asked if I could purchase a warranty for it and they advised no.

What would you guys do it my situation? I could use it as a second monitor...
__________________
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | HP Omen 27i, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Reply With Quote
  #1598  
Old 05-08-20, 09:54 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 6,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
Oh nice! Have fun!

For those who recall my issues with ASUS regarding the faulty monitor they have no sent out and I have received a brand new replacement.

Due to the delay I actually bought a brand new Dell monitor which I am chuffed with!

However, this has left me confused over what to do with the ASUS replacement. It is brand new and sealed, however, ASUS confirmed it will carry the original warranty which only has 3 months left.

I considered selling the ASUS unit but am hesitant due to the new buyer not having an warranty on a brand new monitor. I spoke with ASUS and asked if I could purchase a warranty for it and they advised no.

What would you guys do it my situation? I could use it as a second monitor...
Send it back. Not worth keeping if its so unreliable. Id stick with 1 screen and I think Dell will be a good replacement for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #1599  
Old 05-08-20, 09:59 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
Oh nice! Have fun!

For those who recall my issues with ASUS regarding the faulty monitor they have no sent out and I have received a brand new replacement.

Due to the delay I actually bought a brand new Dell monitor which I am chuffed with!

However, this has left me confused over what to do with the ASUS replacement. It is brand new and sealed, however, ASUS confirmed it will carry the original warranty which only has 3 months left.

I considered selling the ASUS unit but am hesitant due to the new buyer not having an warranty on a brand new monitor. I spoke with ASUS and asked if I could purchase a warranty for it and they advised no.

What would you guys do it my situation? I could use it as a second monitor...

As you can't get a refund for the Asus monitor just sell it with the info that it only has 3 months left, Extra change in your pocket.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Send it back. Not worth keeping if its so unreliable. Id stick with 1 screen and I think Dell will be a good replacement for sure.

But then Asus would have the monitor and his money, He'd be left with nothing.
__________________
If you think about it, VR is free unreal estate.....

Reply With Quote
  #1600  
Old 05-08-20, 10:21 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 6,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
As you can't get a refund for the Asus monitor just sell it with the info that it only has 3 months left, Extra change in your pocket.





But then Asus would have the monitor and his money, He'd be left with nothing.
Wait, they don't do refunds? I would have thought the original etailer would step in and honor the transaction.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
banter, conversation, entertainment, fun, jokes, safe for work, small talk

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:38 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.