Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3271  
Old 09-07-18, 08:48 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Monster Hunter World will have parity with consoles, Hate it when devs do this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunt...ffer_pcgamerfb
Exactly what I have been talking about lately. Consoles, once again, holding back PC games. This is why it is not worth having a gaming PC. A grand for a GPU for that.

__________________


If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Reply With Quote
  #3272  
Old 09-07-18, 11:41 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Monster Hunter World will have parity with consoles, Hate it when devs do this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunt...ffer_pcgamerfb
It's not a bad thing. What sucks is consoles are 30fps and aren't that great looking unless it's an IP title. If consoles could hit 60fps and look like a PC version of 1080p medium settings it wouldn't be a big issue.
Reply With Quote
  #3273  
Old 10-07-18, 06:49 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 7,673
I'm at the point where I don't care anymore. If a game is immersive or enjoyable enough then I forget about the gfx completely. If anything I would much rather have smooth 120fps than a crisp (yet to me pointless) 4k image at <60fps

we were in a losing battle from the start. Consoles are where they make their money, now that it is so mainstream. Only the true dedicated devs who are passionate about their work make an effort to utilise PC components to its full potential. Others may enjoy it but make it good, others just make it passable.

I was testing Witcher 3 with SLI on custom (high/ultra) settings last night I had near 85% scaling with SLI as opposed to just 1 1080ti on 3440p. Can't remember the last AAA title that had something like that, which was developed with the PC community in mind.

This puts things into perspective for Ubisoft sales. Over 70% of their sales in the last three years are console. PC has growth but not enough for Devs to really dedicate more resources to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ubi.png
Views:	29
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	12515  
Reply With Quote
  #3274  
Old 10-07-18, 08:04 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,912
The PC market has grown the most. That's a fact. The numbers you site need to be put into context.

The console market has grown but not as much as you would think. Most of the gamers are the same. They buy the new gen console. The PS3/Xbox both sold over 70 million units. The PS4 has already hit that target and the Xbox One has hit about 30 million units.

That's a loss of 40 million units as of now. Meaning (theoretically) 40 million people have moved to PC. Which would also explain it's massive growth. Since we both agree gaming market is growing it would be expected that something has grown, which would be the PC market as it is the fastest growing entertainment market in the world for a reason and it's almost 100% fueled by PC growth. It's a pretty linear trend.

So I disagree with your numbers and to be honest I have never seen those numbers anywhere even from Ubisoft. But PC is the factually the biggest growing market. It's also why more and more games these past few years are coming to PC. We are getting more and more every year for all platforms and that is because the PC market is growing and therefore profitable. So more companies are pushing there IP to PC. So much so they invested into there own stores to compete with Steam.

That's even before we take into account China. Who is a totally different market than anywhere else in the world and they are having absurd growth every year and will if not already be the biggest gaming market in the world. Alongside just being the biggest economy in the world in general but that's a different topic.
Reply With Quote
  #3275  
Old 10-07-18, 09:15 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 7,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
The PC market has grown the most. That's a fact. The numbers you site need to be put into context.

The console market has grown but not as much as you would think. Most of the gamers are the same. They buy the new gen console. The PS3/Xbox both sold over 70 million units. The PS4 has already hit that target and the Xbox One has hit about 30 million units.

That's a loss of 40 million units as of now. Meaning (theoretically) 40 million people have moved to PC. Which would also explain it's massive growth. Since we both agree gaming market is growing it would be expected that something has grown, which would be the PC market as it is the fastest growing entertainment market in the world for a reason and it's almost 100% fueled by PC growth. It's a pretty linear trend.

So I disagree with your numbers and to be honest I have never seen those numbers anywhere even from Ubisoft. But PC is the factually the biggest growing market. It's also why more and more games these past few years are coming to PC. We are getting more and more every year for all platforms and that is because the PC market is growing and therefore profitable. So more companies are pushing there IP to PC. So much so they invested into there own stores to compete with Steam.

That's even before we take into account China. Who is a totally different market than anywhere else in the world and they are having absurd growth every year and will if not already be the biggest gaming market in the world. Alongside just being the biggest economy in the world in general but that's a different topic.


Of course, I'm not disputing what you say, PC growth was good. (taken from statista.com) You also need to consider some move from Xbox team to Playstation team and vice versa. The stats I posted were Ubisoft Game sales. What I was referring to is that while we are seeing more come to PC, the efforts behind developers vary from passionate to "lets make it good enough to profit". Many games are ports, and devs are often pushed to outrageous deadlines by publishers like EA, when you don't have resources you can only do so much. Releasing a good playable game, albeit cutdown graphically version that runs at 60fps is better than a poor attempt of multi gpu scaling product, or graphically enhanced IP (Batman Arkham knight)

Square Enix on the other hand have worked hard to release same titles on PC with considerable delays, and they paid off because FF15 Looked fantastic. GTAV delayed heavily but also produced one of the highest selling games on pc.

But look back at Ubisoft and even Bethesda products. Crew2 (crew 1 also I believe) capped at 60, entire game is a port from console with a horrible menu system, and the method to quit the game was thrown in afterwards. Shocking to see "how do i quit Crew 2 on PC" such a popular google search.

Division was heavily cut down from its unveiling, has unlocked fps but 5% scaling on multigpu. Watchdogs, same thing. Bethesday games Skyrim and AC series cannot handle 120fps because entire game turns into a pinball machine.

I love the fact that PC community is growing but I just don't know if its enough right now for developers to turn their attention more to utilise what we have in our cases. After all, we all have different components in our case and they need to make them all work smooth.

hmm maybe I should have made a separate thread.

tl;dr I like seeing more console games come to PC, but I have given up on the FPS lock battle.
Reply With Quote
  #3276  
Old 10-07-18, 09:17 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
As much as that does suck I agree with them in when they say a good port is better. I bought dmc3 a few years back before steam had their customer service revamp and it was awful. Max res was 720p borderless and controller support was only half implemented. After 10 mins of trying the game asked for a refund,didnt get it cos Marcus from borderlands was still running customer service back then
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Exactly what I have been talking about lately. Consoles, once again, holding back PC games. This is why it is not worth having a gaming PC. A grand for a GPU for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It's not a bad thing. What sucks is consoles are 30fps and aren't that great looking unless it's an IP title. If consoles could hit 60fps and look like a PC version of 1080p medium settings it wouldn't be a big issue.
As long as you don't need vastly more powerful hardware to run the game at the same medium console settings I don't see a problem, Hopefully the optimisation is decent but it's Capcom and their porting skills are a little questionable
__________________
= Steam/Origin/Uplay - Dicehunter =
Reply With Quote
  #3277  
Old 10-07-18, 09:17 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 20,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It's not a bad thing. What sucks is consoles are 30fps and aren't that great looking unless it's an IP title. If consoles could hit 60fps and look like a PC version of 1080p medium settings it wouldn't be a big issue.
Just to clarify here, Monster Hunter World uses an unlocked framerate on consoles, not a locked 30 or 60FPS. So depending on the game's mode (performance, resolution, graphics) it has different performance profiles, especially on the Xbox One X and PS4 pro.
Reply With Quote
  #3278  
Old 10-07-18, 09:18 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Just to clarify here, Monster Hunter World uses an unlocked framerate on consoles, not a locked 30 or 60FPS. So depending on the game's mode (performance, resolution, graphics) it has different performance profiles, especially on the Xbox One X and PS4 pro.
As long as they have Ultrawide support then I'm good
__________________
= Steam/Origin/Uplay - Dicehunter =
Reply With Quote
  #3279  
Old 10-07-18, 09:21 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 7,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Just to clarify here, Monster Hunter World uses an unlocked framerate on consoles, not a locked 30 or 60FPS. So depending on the game's mode (performance, resolution, graphics) it has different performance profiles, especially on the Xbox One X and PS4 pro.
Maybe people have seen the screenshot from their site with 60 in the menu options and assumed that was the cap? I am with Dice though. Capcom haven't had the best luck in their ports.
Reply With Quote
  #3280  
Old 10-07-18, 11:24 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 15,131
Lian-Li Strimer RGB 24 Pin Motherboard Cable now available for pre-order, £35.99, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted....

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-...cm-017-ll.html

__________________
= Steam/Origin/Uplay - Dicehunter =
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.