Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 16-07-18, 05:40 PM

Thoughts on Colorful SSD's

Currently using a 120Gb OCZ Arc 100. I couldn't say anything about its performance all I know is my PC boots faster, games loads quicker and tranfer rates are much better.

But 120Gb sure is not enough. Looking forward upgrading to a higher capacity and found this
deal https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2YQSLQD...qid=1531736318

I mean it's the cheapest I can find. Gonna make the 120Gb as drive for OS and the 320Gb for games.
Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 17-07-18, 10:49 PM

I can't recommend them, as it seems like they don't have any DRAM on board.

That will drastically slow performance down in random read and writes and might also shorten the lifespan of the flash NAND.

Instead, you should look out for a SSD that has DRAM build in.
Linus did a great Techquicky episode on this subject called "What Are DRAM-less SSDs?", which you can find on YT.
Old 18-07-18, 12:53 AM
OC3D Elite

I've never heard of them so it would be hard for me to recommend them either. Personally I'd want to cough up a few more bucks for something as important as my SSD. Granted it's not rocket science to build a quality hard drive but I'd still feel a lot better with a quality brand name like Samsung or Corsair or something along those lines.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• HP 32Q @ 1440
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Razer DeathAdder Elite
Old 18-07-18, 02:21 PM
OC3D Elite

They are Chinese and cheap for a reason
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 19-07-18, 07:40 AM
OC3D Elite

I believe they are simply rebranded products. Colorful do make some powerful high end GPU from Radeon but that is the limit of my knowledge.

I was shocked to learn they also sell motherboards and SSD in China. Personally, I would avoid them. SSD is important to have reliability. Unless you can find reviews or personal anecdotes on these being good, I would steer clear.
Old 21-07-18, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senzelian View Post
I can't recommend them, as it seems like they don't have any DRAM on board.

That will drastically slow performance down in random read and writes and might also shorten the lifespan of the flash NAND.

Instead, you should look out for a SSD that has DRAM build in.
Linus did a great Techquicky episode on this subject called "What Are DRAM-less SSDs?", which you can find on YT.

Gonna check that one out. Thanks man!
Old 28-07-18, 12:17 PM

Been digging the archives here to find a review for Colorful unfortunately I found none.
This place is one of my go-to sites when it comes to reviews. Can you guys talk with them lol
Old 28-07-18, 12:45 PM
OC3D Elite

They are mainly a Chinese brand, so you may find some guy imported a load and sold them to resellers. Thus, Colorful might not even know.

All I can tell you is that they have been around a very long time, and have been making GPUs for eons. Nothing spectacular, but are definitely a known brand.

Old 01-08-18, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
They are mainly a Chinese brand, so you may find some guy imported a load and sold them to resellers. Thus, Colorful might not even know.

All I can tell you is that they have been around a very long time, and have been making GPUs for eons. Nothing spectacular, but are definitely a known brand.

I've heard that they make pretty descent GPUs. Not that popular in UK thought they are quite a huge distributor in Asia.
Old 05-08-18, 04:05 PM

was wondering if those ssds would last since led will probably generate more heat. note sure though.