Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-01-19, 10:40 PM
OC3D Elite

When Nvidia can get DLSS off the ground they'll stomp this iteration into the ground, and I am very unhappy about that possibility. For now this looks like a solid card, wish they'd give me me with GDDR6 though, making it a cheaper option all around.

Old 09-01-19, 10:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
When Nvidia can get DLSS off the ground they'll stomp this iteration into the ground, and I am very unhappy about that possibility. For now this looks like a solid card, wish they'd give me me with GDDR6 though, making it a cheaper option all around.
From what I have heard so far DLSS is only for 4k.

TBH? the games that I have played at 4k, with the proper textures required no aliasing at all. In fairness though that was on a 27 and 32" panel. But most of the things Nvidia are carrying on about now only really relate to their eye wateringly expensive BFG or whatever they are calling it. Which again, doesn't really interest me in the slightest. I said it before I am done with fads and things manus want me to buy. Just CBA.

I've also heard that DLSS doesn't look as good as other methods. I really don't find it that exciting really. Only Nvidia could make aliasing sound so important and exciting.

Old 09-01-19, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Navi got a passing mention at the end of the stream for something we'd hear more about at upcoming events so we can be pretty sure that's going to be their mainstream GDDR6 option coming much later in 2019, it doesn't seem like NVidia are moving to 7nm until 2020, some rumours recently suggesting they may even tap Samsungs EUV based 7nm which is going to be ready much later than TSMCs was, and they don't seem to be looking to release any mid end cards any time soon so presumably AMD don't see a rush to replace Polaris.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
Old 09-01-19, 10:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
From what I have heard so far DLSS is only for 4k.

TBH? the games that I have played at 4k, with the proper textures required no aliasing at all. In fairness though that was on a 27 and 32" panel. But most of the things Nvidia are carrying on about now only really relate to their eye wateringly expensive BFG or whatever they are calling it. Which again, doesn't really interest me in the slightest. I said it before I am done with fads and things manus want me to buy. Just CBA.

I've also heard that DLSS doesn't look as good as other methods. I really don't find it that exciting really. Only Nvidia could make aliasing sound so important and exciting.
4K only? Wait, what? That'd be a million thumbs down!! If it is actually good, the same for RT, at least Nvidia is integrating new technologies whereas AMD is still doing the same old thing with the new Vega - while I was hoping they'd introduce their own innovations. New Vega looks good, just wish it was more.
Old 09-01-19, 11:08 PM
OC3D Elite

The prospect of a properly competitive all AMD build with a Ryzen 3XXX and a Vega VII literally makes me giggle with glee. I'll be voting with my wallet once the products launch and prices stabilise.
Old 09-01-19, 11:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
4K only? Wait, what? That'd be a million thumbs down!! If it is actually good, the same for RT, at least Nvidia is integrating new technologies whereas AMD is still doing the same old thing with the new Vega - while I was hoping they'd introduce their own innovations. New Vega looks good, just wish it was more.
So far I think the only working instances of it are in 4k, and I am sure I heard one of those Youtubers say it was only for 4k. Maybe I misunderstood, but yeah AFAIK so far it only does anything at 4k on two titles? something like that.

I wish new Vega was good too. Sadly it really isn't, as it's based on Vega which wasn't great either (says the bloke who has a Vega 64, but I did only pay £240 for it)

I think AMD just need to ride Vega out now. It wasn't great as Fury and it's not really gotten much better, though TBH the DX12 performance is actually very good (almost 1080Ti levels..) But it needs coding for, and we haven't seen much of that.

I think Navi will be a bit of a breath of fresh air. Hopefully 1080 fast but with GDDR so we can get one without selling our houses.

Old 09-01-19, 11:30 PM
News Guru

If I am honest I am not excited by this graphics card, though I hope AMD can use the Machine Learning extras that they added to Vega to utilise Microsoft's upcoming DirectML extension.

DirectML can be used to deliver similar results to DLSS, so it would be awesome to see AMD invest in something like that. That said i am not super hopeful.

TBH I think AMD needed to sell this for £600, not the £660 ( $699 converted from $ + VAT)
Old 09-01-19, 11:31 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
If I am honest I am not excited by this graphics card, though I hope AMD can use the Machine Learning extras that they added to Vega to utilise Microsoft's upcoming DirectML extension.

DirectML can be used to deliver similar results to DLSS, so it would be awesome to see AMD invest in something like that. That said i am not super hopeful.

TBH I think AMD needed to sell this for £600, not the £660 ( $699 converted from $ + VAT)

Yeah 599 would've been a damn good price.
Old 09-01-19, 11:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Yeah 599 would've been a damn good price.
Nah, it wouldn't, but it would have been a little more palatable. These ridiculous prices need to stop tbh.

I can buy a brand spanking new, new gen console for less than a mid range GPU now.

And at 15ft @ 4k I am buggered if I can see any difference. If that is the game Nvidia are about to play (trying to make us all buy stupid TVs and sit on the sofa?) then I am definitely out.

Bring on the next PS or Xbox. Or Navi, depending on how good it is.

Old 10-01-19, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I think any lower than $699 would have just led to more problems and less money, this is the very first 7nm processing chip anyones sold to consumers so we can't expect yields or production to be as seemless as usual, supply is probably not much better than OG Vega was. Meanwhile it is priced to exactly match its competitor in the gaming sphere in older titles while outperforming it in newer ones, with less of a penalty from 4K and higher resolutions and more "future proofing" with increased VRAM and compute performance over its competitor.

For a card primarily made for enterprise workloads and sold for content creation that would be a more than comfortable position to have in the gaming sphere, given this isn't the main target for selling these. I'd still expect price cuts eventually, but this clearly isn't meant to be a price/perf gaming card (Though no top end card is really nowadays, far too much money elsewhere for large dies).

AMD were selling this as the most technologically advanced GPU on market and in many ways it is, but it doesn't actually have to be for the phrase to do some marketing for them anywaw, if someone doesn't want ray tracing then there's not much the 2080 has left over Vega besides perf/watt, while its much larger die size means NVidia will probably have a harder time bringing the cost of the 2080 down than AMD would with VII(This is the first time in my memory personally that AMDs managed to match NVidia's gaming performance with smaller dies, for obvious reasons here).

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt