Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 09-01-19, 10:40 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,038
When Nvidia can get DLSS off the ground they'll stomp this iteration into the ground, and I am very unhappy about that possibility. For now this looks like a solid card, wish they'd give me me with GDDR6 though, making it a cheaper option all around.

__________________
Asus Z370 MXH | 8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Win10 Pro x64
We call ourselves legion, for many we be. So hand me your kingdom, I'll take it from here. And dare no one break from, my circles of fear

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-01-19, 10:45 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
When Nvidia can get DLSS off the ground they'll stomp this iteration into the ground, and I am very unhappy about that possibility. For now this looks like a solid card, wish they'd give me me with GDDR6 though, making it a cheaper option all around.
From what I have heard so far DLSS is only for 4k.

TBH? the games that I have played at 4k, with the proper textures required no aliasing at all. In fairness though that was on a 27 and 32" panel. But most of the things Nvidia are carrying on about now only really relate to their eye wateringly expensive BFG or whatever they are calling it. Which again, doesn't really interest me in the slightest. I said it before I am done with fads and things manus want me to buy. Just CBA.

I've also heard that DLSS doesn't look as good as other methods. I really don't find it that exciting really. Only Nvidia could make aliasing sound so important and exciting.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-01-19, 10:48 PM
tgrech tgrech is online now
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 403
Navi got a passing mention at the end of the stream for something we'd hear more about at upcoming events so we can be pretty sure that's going to be their mainstream GDDR6 option coming much later in 2019, it doesn't seem like NVidia are moving to 7nm until 2020, some rumours recently suggesting they may even tap Samsungs EUV based 7nm which is going to be ready much later than TSMCs was, and they don't seem to be looking to release any mid end cards any time soon so presumably AMD don't see a rush to replace Polaris.
__________________
Electrical engineer with a passion for rambling.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-01-19, 10:52 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
From what I have heard so far DLSS is only for 4k.

TBH? the games that I have played at 4k, with the proper textures required no aliasing at all. In fairness though that was on a 27 and 32" panel. But most of the things Nvidia are carrying on about now only really relate to their eye wateringly expensive BFG or whatever they are calling it. Which again, doesn't really interest me in the slightest. I said it before I am done with fads and things manus want me to buy. Just CBA.

I've also heard that DLSS doesn't look as good as other methods. I really don't find it that exciting really. Only Nvidia could make aliasing sound so important and exciting.
4K only? Wait, what? That'd be a million thumbs down!! If it is actually good, the same for RT, at least Nvidia is integrating new technologies whereas AMD is still doing the same old thing with the new Vega - while I was hoping they'd introduce their own innovations. New Vega looks good, just wish it was more.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-01-19, 11:08 PM
Davva2004's Avatar
Davva2004 Davva2004 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Nottingham UK
Posts: 1,137
The prospect of a properly competitive all AMD build with a Ryzen 3XXX and a Vega VII literally makes me giggle with glee. I'll be voting with my wallet once the products launch and prices stabilise.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-01-19, 11:18 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
4K only? Wait, what? That'd be a million thumbs down!! If it is actually good, the same for RT, at least Nvidia is integrating new technologies whereas AMD is still doing the same old thing with the new Vega - while I was hoping they'd introduce their own innovations. New Vega looks good, just wish it was more.
So far I think the only working instances of it are in 4k, and I am sure I heard one of those Youtubers say it was only for 4k. Maybe I misunderstood, but yeah AFAIK so far it only does anything at 4k on two titles? something like that.

I wish new Vega was good too. Sadly it really isn't, as it's based on Vega which wasn't great either (says the bloke who has a Vega 64, but I did only pay £240 for it)

I think AMD just need to ride Vega out now. It wasn't great as Fury and it's not really gotten much better, though TBH the DX12 performance is actually very good (almost 1080Ti levels..) But it needs coding for, and we haven't seen much of that.

I think Navi will be a bit of a breath of fresh air. Hopefully 1080 fast but with GDDR so we can get one without selling our houses.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-01-19, 11:30 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,061
If I am honest I am not excited by this graphics card, though I hope AMD can use the Machine Learning extras that they added to Vega to utilise Microsoft's upcoming DirectML extension.

DirectML can be used to deliver similar results to DLSS, so it would be awesome to see AMD invest in something like that. That said i am not super hopeful.

TBH I think AMD needed to sell this for £600, not the £660 ( $699 converted from $ + VAT)
__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-01-19, 11:31 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 12,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
If I am honest I am not excited by this graphics card, though I hope AMD can use the Machine Learning extras that they added to Vega to utilise Microsoft's upcoming DirectML extension.

DirectML can be used to deliver similar results to DLSS, so it would be awesome to see AMD invest in something like that. That said i am not super hopeful.

TBH I think AMD needed to sell this for £600, not the £660 ( $699 converted from $ + VAT)

Yeah 599 would've been a damn good price.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-01-19, 11:38 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Yeah 599 would've been a damn good price.
Nah, it wouldn't, but it would have been a little more palatable. These ridiculous prices need to stop tbh.

I can buy a brand spanking new, new gen console for less than a mid range GPU now.

And at 15ft @ 4k I am buggered if I can see any difference. If that is the game Nvidia are about to play (trying to make us all buy stupid TVs and sit on the sofa?) then I am definitely out.

Bring on the next PS or Xbox. Or Navi, depending on how good it is.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-01-19, 10:10 AM
tgrech tgrech is online now
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 403
I think any lower than $699 would have just led to more problems and less money, this is the very first 7nm processing chip anyones sold to consumers so we can't expect yields or production to be as seemless as usual, supply is probably not much better than OG Vega was. Meanwhile it is priced to exactly match its competitor in the gaming sphere in older titles while outperforming it in newer ones, with less of a penalty from 4K and higher resolutions and more "future proofing" with increased VRAM and compute performance over its competitor.

For a card primarily made for enterprise workloads and sold for content creation that would be a more than comfortable position to have in the gaming sphere, given this isn't the main target for selling these. I'd still expect price cuts eventually, but this clearly isn't meant to be a price/perf gaming card (Though no top end card is really nowadays, far too much money elsewhere for large dies).

AMD were selling this as the most technologically advanced GPU on market and in many ways it is, but it doesn't actually have to be for the phrase to do some marketing for them anywaw, if someone doesn't want ray tracing then there's not much the 2080 has left over Vega besides perf/watt, while its much larger die size means NVidia will probably have a harder time bringing the cost of the 2080 down than AMD would with VII(This is the first time in my memory personally that AMDs managed to match NVidia's gaming performance with smaller dies, for obvious reasons here).
__________________
Electrical engineer with a passion for rambling.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:53 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.